Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted

Well perhaps nearly all forecasts were correct. The forecast for Bognor and for Portsmouth was just sleet. As you can imagine I was over the moon to wake up to it snowing and to eventually get 5 inches settled. Dog loved it too, racing round and round the garden like a mad thing. Then he realised he had bare feet and ran indoors. doh.gif

Now I am hoping the sleet forecast for here tomorrow will be snow showers again.

It should never have been for just sleet. I explained in detail the rationale for snow there in post yesterday. Where did you hear or read 'just sleet'??

Edited by fergieweather

Posted

Moderate snow on Portland dorset, unexpected !

Hope it keep going long enough to reach my area. I know I am greedy but it is so rare to get snow half a mile from the sea here that I hope you can all forgive me. rolleyes.gif .

Posted

Wondering if wel have any more in glos this evening. Before raintoday died out, seen developments to the sw that looked like it was trying to intensify. Bbc weather said clear skies tonight i kid you not!

Posted

It should never have been for just sleet. I explained in detail the rationale for snow there in post yesterday. Where did you hear or read 'just sleet'??

That is what the netweather home page 7 day forecast was showing for Bognor area. It is still showing sleet for me.

Type in Location Bognor Regis and you can check it out. It is usually very accurate too.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: really cold or really hot ! extremes

Lol u can never be to greedy for snow !Seems very slow moving , and more heading this way by the looks of it :@)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

I done a quick video at my allotment today when I went to brush snow from polytunnel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Actually think forecasting by Met office and all forecasters been first class, considering the pressure to get things right,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: really cold or really hot ! extremes

Sorry I can't update my profile I'm on my phone , so can't seem to do it from this :@)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I had to share this. As soon as I saw it I thought of you lot. biggrin.png

In wintry temperatures, fill balloons with water and food colouring. When the water has frozen, remove the balloon and you have giant marbles!

Wife had that on facebook...god i hate facebook....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Congrats to the whole team of people and computers that got today pretty much spot on! One of the best Met/bbc snow forecasts I have seen. Very accurate with timings and accum'.

Now we move on to Sunday and beyond.

Sunday could be interesting for some eastern counties, and possibly further West, as pointed out on both national and your forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Without wanting to sound like a stuck record, I just want to repeat my post from previously. My thoughts are now towards it being SNOW over higher parts moreso, however it still needs attention being paid to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, that little trough like feature (?) over parts of Cornwall, Devon and Dorset isn't moving anywhere quickly. This could catch a few folk out, should they previously thought it was all over. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 3 to 5cm from that feature before it dies down later on.

Keep the posts coming, especially observation based, DPs, AT, precipitation amounts etc. as the MetO and other authorities will be interested in the latest. Any newcomers, please can you also update your profile to show your location. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Yes spot on Ian I'm surprised your not in bed to be honest, you must be shattered!

Few light snow showers so far, about an extra cm on top, looks stunning outside! drinks.gif -2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Sorry I can't update my profile I'm on my phone , so can't seem to do it from this :@)

No problem, whenever you can get to a PC or laptop will suffice. No worries, if not, can you just relate to your location where at all possible.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Also Portsmouth News newspaper said last night that the METO had told them sleet for the area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Temperature 0.8c and dew point 1c... but still snowing, should it be at that dew point??

I can only guess that your "amazing"!! elevation is the deciding factor.

Is this the highest point in the south west? 369 meters is very high. Highest point in the Cotswolds is around 295m I think.

edit, just Google earthed Dartmoor and I see 500 meters is not to hard to find!!!

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Are you talking about this evening gtlw?

Posted

Also Portsmouth News newspaper said last night that the METO had told them sleet for the area.

Don't trust misquotes...!

Signal for snow there and IoW was always a strong one. No-one in Exeter would have said otherwise - it was further west along the coast it looked a tad marginal until we saw the 18z NAE prog yesterday and were able to even offer a more snowy story for these sorts of areas too (Lyme Bay etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Gotolove, will this shortwave reach bnes before it dies?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Enjoy your snow you lot, but spare a moment for your poor south western brothers on the Devon Cornwall border who got sodding rain again, we have to go and search for our snow tomorrow, will only have to drive up the road....but still would be nice to have it in the back yard....anyone think us lotdown here might get some more next chance we get?

Posted

Signal for snow there and IoW was always a strong one. No-one in Exeter would have said otherwise - it was further west along the coast it looked a tad marginal until we saw the 18z NAE prog yesterday and were able to even offer a more snowy story for these sorts of areas too (Lyme Bay etc)

As others have said, thanks for the updates Ian :D GTLTW... Didn't someone say something about thanking Ian earlier, but they can't be on? Either way, thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

yep Ian was spot on for the Isle of Wight :-) very impressed following Ian and Matt on twitter.they answer people's questions as honestly as they can.very refreshing :)

Posted

Without wanting to sound like a stuck record, I just want to repeat my post from previously. My thoughts are now towards it being SNOW over higher parts moreso, however it still needs attention being paid to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, that little trough like feature (?) over parts of Cornwall, Devon and Dorset isn't moving anywhere quickly. This could catch a few folk out, should they previously thought it was all over. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 3 to 5cm from that feature before it dies down later on.

Keep the posts coming, especially observation based, DPs, AT, precipitation amounts etc. as the MetO and other authorities will be interested in the latest. Any newcomers, please can you also update your profile to show your location. good.gif

Evening all! Been snowing here again this evening only been settling on car roofs though! Not much ground action yet, maybe because its quite wet here. Temperature is 1c, dewpoint is -0.5, pressure 995.2. Looks as if the main feature is heading east now as the showers have stopped. Was quite heavy with medium sized flakes.

Edited by Olly

Posted

Many thanks for clarifying that matter, so does the Netweather 7 day forecast that says sleet for me on Sunday ring true or do I have a chance of another amount of snow. Or perhaps too early to say yet?