Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Is it a shortwave then that's over Cornwall / Devon? I thought it looked like a LOW! But someone else said trough... Looks interesting tho, hope it comes my way

Posted

Enjoy your snow you lot, but spare a moment for your poor south western brothers on the Devon Cornwall border who got sodding rain again, we have to go and search for our snow tomorrow, will only have to drive up the road....but still would be nice to have it in the back yard....anyone think us lotdown here might get some more next chance we get?

Believe me I more than understand your frustration, last winter was yet another snowless one for me too. Hoping you get some sometime soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I can only guess that your "amazing"!! elevation is the deciding factor.

Is this the highest point in the south west? 369 meters is very high. Highest point in the Cotswolds is around 295m I think.

edit, just Google earthed Dartmoor and I see 500 meters is not to hard to find!!!

Haha!! Must be it. I have been told that we are the highest town in the southwest. I go to plymouth on nights out to get high.... on oxygen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Gotolove, will this shortwave reach bnes before it dies?

Thanks

Best ask fergieweather's thoughts on it if he possibly can, I'm only going by what I see on the NW v6 radar.

I would say quite possibly, but I imagine it will be petering somewhat as time goes by.

Also, I am pretty much guessing by suggesting its a trough or shortwave as you call it. Whatever, it still shows up as pretty heavy right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Don't trust misquotes...!

Signal for snow there and IoW was always a strong one. No-one in Exeter would have said otherwise - it was further west along the coast it looked a tad marginal until we saw the 18z NAE prog yesterday and were able to even offer a more snowy story for these sorts of areas too (Lyme Bay etc)

Yes and you took time to explain this to jittery people on here last night, Which really helped to make picture crystal clear, Thank you Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Believe me I more than understand your frustration, last winter was yet another snowless one for me too. Hoping you get some sometime soon!

Have you had any this time around?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

As others have said, thanks for the updates Ian biggrin.png GTLTW... Didn't someone say something about thanking Ian earlier, but they can't be on? Either way, thanks smile.png

Yes, basically if you're still in here Ian (fergieweather), many folk in here, far too many to mention in fact, have asked me as a moderator to pass on their thanks for keeping us all up to date during what must have been a very tricky forecasting period. hi.gif

Many Thanks again Ian but also, Thanks to all who have stuck with this regional over the last 36 hours or so, keeping us informed, sometimes via sound analysis, observational reports, jokes and more importantly, you've keep us all entertained.

I too need a lie down now so will look forward to another busy day tomorrow complete with many of your beautiful pictures and video.

I hope the above makes sense and for now, I bid you night night. hi.gif

Posted

Have you had any this time around?

Far, far more than expected! 5 inches/13cm. Really sorry if that answer increases your frustration. Not seen this much snow for a good many years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Been snowing steadily here for over an hour now, and another 2 inches have settled!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Snowing again on the iow.......don't anybody ever say marginal on coast again lol...hear it enough in the MOD output :-)

Posted

Well I shouldn't complain, I certainly can change my name now! Still, would have been nice to have changed it after a blizzard or something a bit more dramatic! smile.png Probably had about 5 or 6cm, but I didn't measure it until the thaw had started. Ugh, yes, thaw, and we now have sleet. Never really been that cold here, even over the last few days we only just made it below freezing some nights, and Thursday it reached over 6 degrees. The snow looked very promising when I got up at 4 this morning, but after about 6 it was only light and only occasionally. I watched the radar as snow bands approached, then split just before us going north and south of us before reforming the other side. Honestly! doh.gif

I did get a walk with my dog at first light though. Perfect, pure white snow. That is until my dog's blood splattered it! First time she'd ever seen snow (brought her over from NZ with us). She was so excited she charged off, running in circles, and within 15 seconds had skidded into a pole! Ran back to me, tail between legs, face covered with snow, and blood dripping from her nose. sad.png It stopped bleeding quite quickly and she went off running again, so hopefully it hasn't put her off it!

I could have done with a Red Snow Warning for that though!

Edited by 8 years without snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Gorgeous hot sunny days

Starting to snow again in the Blackmore vale in Dorset, we have 5 inches of lying snow with a very slight thaw this afternoon, but light snow at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm absolutely cream crackered, 1 hours sleep in the end last night. I'm off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Hello peeps! Wow, what a day! Started preparing for today a couple of days ago. Went out and bought my girlfriend and I a couple of new sledges yesterday, and did the weekend shopping. Spent much of last night looking at the radar and next door neighbours outside lIght. Fell asleep at 1am, then woke up at 3am to find a snowless roof! Then fell back to sleep and woke up again at 4am, looked out, and it had began! Then fell back to sleep and woke up at 6.30 like a little boy on Xmas day, looked out and I reckon we had a couple of inches by then. Woke my girlfriend up and made a cup of tea, lit the fire, and we had bacon sandwiches and coffee. Took the dogs for a walk up on the hills near Salisbury plain, and it was chucking it down. (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cocka Spanish had snowballs attached to her legs, so gave her a warm bath when we got home. Homemade soup for lunch then time for a spot of afternoon sledging, mulled wine, and a snowball fight!! Back home to cook a Jamie Oliver 15 min meal, which took me an hour! (but who cares when your sipping a g&t), ate that with a couple of glasses of Red wine, and now absolutely knackered!!! A red letter day! Hope everyone else had a good one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Snowing here again, putting white covering over tyre tracks [ Is the weather saying sorry for all rain we endured? ]

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

These showers/shower/area of PPN seems to be stalling somewhat?

Shame my location is just a tad too far north to get hit by that area of ppn as it seems to be holding up well at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

currently watching that little slow moving shower heading East currently over Weymouth... c'mon keep going not far from Corfe Castle now but will it be rain,sleet or snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Absolutely fantastic day today! I waited all night for today and it payed off big time!

Snow started around about 4:30amish but was like light and took a while to get going properly, the ground was very wet, but all of a sudden from about 6:15 onwards it was beginning to get heavier and started to settle on cars and houses, and then another 30 minutes later the flakes got a lot larger and heavier, and the ground was going whiter and whiter!

Whilst my part didnt really settle as well as everywhere else on the IOW, but I walked like 200 yards up the road, and there was a good 2/3 inches :D, and the snow just carried on right until about 3pmish, and since then we have had the odd shower every now and then :)

P.S it is snowing as I type this :D

Posted

Evening Guys, I hope people who got snow enjoyed it! Is always annoying that not everywhere in our region got snow, but your time will come!

Surface winds are now backing Easterly from Lyme Bay eastwards, so temperatures should start to decrease around coastal areas as well as inland areas

post-9530-0-33362200-1358544311_thumb.pn

GFS still going for some PPN around overnight for the SW and Coastal stretches in the South.

post-9530-0-82164100-1358544386_thumb.pn post-9530-0-76673100-1358544503_thumb.gi

SM

Edited by SnowMania

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Lol , I have no idea why my above post says " If this doesn't say (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cockcroft when referring to a Bbc broadcaster u have maturity issues" !!! Lol where the hell did that come from!

Posted

Shame my location is just a tad too far north to get hit by that area of ppn as it seems to be holding up well at the moment.

It is holding up quite well yeah, very slow progressing though now, will hopefully give me something extra :)