Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

All this IMBY whinging is boring. Yes it's not 1963 but yesterday was clearly a significant and memorable snowfall for MANY parts of the country including here in Surrey. Just because you don't get snow don't dismiss the whole event as rubbish.

Not rubbish in general, just poor in this region.

It was all the hype, the ramping, then seeing this snow shield that was no more than 20 miles by 20 miles. Where most around were getting plastered, reporting big depths and having fun, taking beautiful photo's kind of irks, and you shouldn't deny that feeling.

It wouldn't be so bad if the events had been total misses, but just the difference in each snow event has been maybe 20-30 miles, and not just in one direction! It's been a touch unusual.

Posted

This program on BBC about winter 1963 is superb. How the hell would we cope these days with a winter like that? Imagine 1987, but for 10 weeks over most of the country.

Edited by Jason H

Posted

Hi Tom 0cm for me, can't measure dust!

Around half a centimetre for me. Poor first half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

PPVE89.gif?31415

PPVG89.gif?31415

these still look ok

obviously radar watch again as per normal

MT8_London_ens.png

re the outlook

staying cold until the 25th

i think we can ignore gfs main run after that way out on its own

still some prettycold ensembles there

whats happens after the 26th no idea at present

What's your thoughts on Tom? Same as last nights ideas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Not rubbish in general, just poor in this region.

It was all the hype, the ramping, then seeing this snow shield that was no more than 20 miles by 20 miles. Where most around were getting plastered, reporting big depths and having fun, taking beautiful photo's kind of irks, and you shouldn't deny that feeling.

It wouldn't be so bad if the events had been total misses, but just the difference in each snow event has been maybe 20-30 miles, and not just in one direction! It's been a touch unusual.

Spot on!

Hopefully we have more like come tomorrow!

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

A rather bleak Brighton/Hove seafront. Snow almost to the waters edge (Pillars from old West Pier)

post-7758-0-33249700-1358619701_thumb.jp

Edited by SussexmarkyMark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Can't see a reply to this one. Go into 'More reply options' and you will see a little tab towards the bottom saying 'attach files' and asking you to 'choose file' from your computer. It explains everything from then on pretty much. Hope that is what you were after.

Thank you - you are a star!smile.pnggood.gif

Posted

Try it for what?? Is it guaranteed or your money back??

Even though that site kindly let me use thier forcasts on my Website (unlke the Met) they are about as reliable as Shergars stables padlock!

The only fairly reliable forecasts are those by the BBC, with Met Office presenters. Thier hit rate is more acceptable than most.

Its a very reliable site..... Its been proved right so far.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Hi all,

Just a quickie from work, those of you in the snow depth challenge cup, could you please post your depths in cms at around 6 p.m please. Doesnt have to be 6 on the dot, as I'm not in from work until about 6.45 but it will be interesting to see how the match-ups stand, at roughly the half-way point. If you can measure on concrete, all the better but don't worry too much, its just a bit of fun!

Any match-ups between E and W members look delicately poised, yesterday gave the west of our region a fair crack of the whip,yesterday evening the situation improved for some parts of Essex and Kent. Tomorrow again looks to favour the east but will it become marginal in the east? Have got an idea if snow depths are level at the end of the competition at 09.00 Monday, which I'll put to you this evening.

Will post half/time scores later.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom, last measurement was 10cm but that was last night, I'm at work now so unable to measure although I think London Snow had a productive 4-4-2 formation at work and fairly walloped me! biggrin.png

Posted

Thank you - you are a star!smile.pnggood.gif

You are welcome:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

hi gp

think thats fi at present

any further the charts seem to be all over the place

Hi John

Can you pop your fax updates in the 3 counties thread when you do them, This would be great good.gif

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

I have seen 2 weather forcasts on TV in the last hour predicting up to 25 cm for kent and east sussex , is that really possible????? as the met office website does not say anything of the kind.

Posted

Well worth watching The Big Freeze on BBC2. I do remember us not going out except to my Nan's who lived next door, but I was only 3 and my Sister had just been born.

It must have been awful. Dad said he spent 80% of his wages on Coal that Winter!

Hope it never happens again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

After a slight thaw today, my half time score is a very average 5.5 cm

Posted

Leigh On Sea Reporting in here with 0.00cm - The cats footprints got rid of the 0.00000001mm we had the little devil!

If Wickford has more then I will gladly go 1v0 down!

Posted

hi gp

think thats fi at present

any further the charts seem to be all over the place

I quite agree...

Current temps at Reigate grammar: -0.7 and -2 dewpoint...

Icing up quite nicely outside...