Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincs Regional Discussion 20/01/13 18z --------->

A.J

Posted

Light rain, pellets, currently in Cleethorpes ( sea front) blowing in on a strong ENE wind occaisionally gusting 41 MPH. Temp now 1 Deg C. Rgds

Posted

god some people are impatient! Chill out guys its only the weather after all!

For what it's worth, the front looks like it's intensifying on the radar as it heads in towards the Pennines and Yorkshire

Edited by ITSY

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Bigger flakes of SNOW starting here now, reports from skeggy fill me with a little optimism.

You mean they've switched the tacky lights off?

Posted

Light rain, pellets, currently in Cleethorpes ( sea front) blowing in on a strong ENE wind occaisionally gusting 41 MPH. Temp now 1 Deg C. Rgds

Could really do with some heavy snow for a few hours to repair our lack of snow cover, having had a good covering for nearly a week I want it back. Impressed by the temperature though.

Posted

Probably isn't the right time for this lol, but just checked the 7 day forecast for our region, says torrential snow for saturday lol! (yes i know it's a long way out!)

Adam what do you think mate??

Edited by Sunny_AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Watch the radar not the model. You can clearly see how quickly its moving,

On http://www.meteox.co...&soort=satradar the saterlite is picking up the high level cloud moving north quickly but the ppn is not moving north at that pace and besides,the ppn is moving WNW from the north sea enhancing the ppn,plenty there i would say.

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

god some people are impatient! Chill out guys its only the weather after all!

For what it's worth, the front looks like it's intensifying on the radar as it heads in towards the Pennines and Yorkshire

yep its definately intensifying around sheffield area on its way up towards leeds area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

First light snow flakes falling in Lofthouse, Wakefield. Blowing around in the wind, let the fun begin....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Flakes getting bigger in size here.

Posted

The snow was due to start at 9pm!! give it chance to get going, just because its not blizzards at 9pm exactly dosent mean its over!! the snow is moving from SE to north to north east! and there alot of hours left of this yet! so please enjoy the snow

Posted

Quite big fluffy flakes falling in a strong breeze in Sheffield. Love the way the radar went darker close to the city. I suspect this is the impcat of the hills. In my experiance of following the weather, Ive realised an easterly rarely fails for Sheffield. Road covered already.. Looks like we are in for an exciting night where ill have to make constant excuses to peep out of the window!

Sorry in advance for typos, its tricky using my phone to post.

Posted

Light snow here now.

Maybe a bit of graupal too as its making a racket on the conservatory roof!

Wind picking up too.

Was going to have an early nite tonite too..............tongue.png

Edit : Moderate now and covering bit where the kids have played on it. Wind blowing snow from moreof ENE direction with my eye.

Posted

I think the further north you are the better as it means the front will continue to intensify before it hits.

Still dry here.

Posted

Moderate snow at the moment, should be nice to wake up to although perhaps not so nice to walk to an exam in blum.gif

Nothing wrong with walking in the snow Mark, the worse part will be when heavy snow is falling and your doing your exam(good luck btw) although any PPN will probably of left you by then.

Sounds like going by reports its a "turning to snow event" for those living near the coast, although the sea track is longer up here it is something to bear in mind before I start throwing me toys around.

Posted

I think the further north you are the better as it means the front will continue to intensify before it hits.

Still dry here.

Seems to be intensfying nicely just to the south of us.

Posted

Don't worry folks, the snow is on its way to you, its just frustratingly slow

What happens is we see a general rotation of precipitation from East to West, so it forms out in the north sea, and gets rotated westwards, slowly edging northwards the whole time.

It take a while to reach you but once it does...well, lets put it this way, theres still a few flakes falling down here in NW Essex now, it started snowing at 8am this morning, and got progressively heavier through the day. Have ended up with around 5-6 inches of fresh snowfall. I am at the upper reaches of the totals in my region, but when you consider that the system is tracking over much deeper waters for you guys than it was here, and its going to move even more slowly that it did here, you should be in for a good night :)

Incidentally if it starts off as rain/sleet near coastal areas around you don't be surprised. I forecast for another website and the reports we are getting indicate that there is a very slight warm sector just to the northern flank of the band, but move inland (or near the coast wait for the heavier precipitation to arrive) and it will turn to snow.

Good luck to you all!

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Penny sized flakes here now being blown around like a carrier bag lol!

also check out that lagre area of ppn out in the sea,it's expanding nicely.