Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincs Regional Discussion 20/01/13 18z --------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Don't worry folks, the snow is on its way to you, its just frustratingly slow

What happens is we see a general rotation of precipitation from East to West, so it forms out in the north sea, and gets rotated westwards, slowly edging northwards the whole time.

It take a while to reach you but once it does...well, lets put it this way, theres still a few flakes falling down here in NW Essex now, it started snowing at 8am this morning, and got progressively heavier through the day. Have ended up with around 5-6 inches of fresh snowfall. I am at the upper reaches of the totals in my region, but when you consider that the system is tracking over much deeper waters for you guys than it was here, and its going to move even more slowly that it did here, you should be in for a good night :)

Incidentally if it starts off as rain/sleet near coastal areas around you don't be surprised. I forecast for another website and the reports we are getting indicate that there is a very slight warm sector just to the northern flank of the band, but move inland (or near the coast wait for the heavier precipitation to arrive) and it will turn to snow.

Good luck to you all!

SK

Great post. Enjoy the snow. :)

Posted

Edit : Moderate now and covering bit where the kids have played on it. Wind blowing snow from moreof ENE direction with my eye.

Uh oh, looks like the Pennines ruining everything effect may be kicking in then... Here in low-lying part of Leeds it's still very light.

Posted

Temp down to 1c now here west doncaster and now settling on cars and paths! GAME ON!!!!

Posted

Uh oh, looks like the Pennines ruining everything effect may be kicking in then... Here in low-lying part of Leeds it's still very light.

It hasn't reached you properly yet, nothing to do with the pennines.

Posted

Don't worry mate. You will receive a good pasting tonite I am sure.....This is just the hors d'oevres...

Posted

You do realize the pennines are to the west of you and the front is coming in from the east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Yay dusting on all surfaces within 15 minutes!!!

Snow moving north nicely now! clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Temp down to 1c now here west doncaster and now settling on cars and paths! GAME ON!!!!

Sorry Craig forecast is for rain for Doncaster for rest of night :p

Posted

You do realize the pennines are to the west of you and the front is coming in from the east?

I know, but NW leeds russ said it's heavier snow out to the northwest of leeds, which is on much higher ground. I do admit it was a moment of panic though, happens every snow event lol.

Posted

just sleet here, heavy in nature and being blown along in an almost gale-force ESE wind.

Blizzard like conditions here with quite large flakes, probably very wet flakes but the temperature is decreasing slowly so hopefully a covering could be on the cards.

Posted

Sorry Craig forecast is for rain for Doncaster for rest of night blum.gif

Snow on the roads good.gif

Viz your only jealous because i was in thixendale enjoying all those snow drifts with your name on it rofl.gif

480261_10151223355046592_1619413679_n.jpg

Edited by Craigers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

What happens is we see a general rotation of precipitation from East to West, so it forms out in the north sea, and gets rotated westwards, slowly edging northwards the whole time.

It take a while to reach you but once it does...well, lets put it this way, theres still a few flakes falling down here in NW Essex now, it started snowing at 8am this morning, and got progressively heavier through the day. Have ended up with around 5-6 inches of fresh snowfall. I am at the upper reaches of the totals in my region, but when you consider that the system is tracking over much deeper waters for you guys than it was here, and its going to move even more slowly that it did here, you should be in for a good night smile.png

Incidentally if it starts off as rain/sleet near coastal areas around you don't be surprised. I forecast for another website and the reports we are getting indicate that there is a very slight warm sector just to the northern flank of the band, but move inland (or near the coast wait for the heavier precipitation to arrive) and it will turn to snow.

Good luck to you all!

SK

Thanks chris,that was sort of what i was aluding to in my above post about the ppn in the north sea,fueling the system

i see some peeps on here worrying that it won't heavy enough,relax folks,plenty to come.

i am glad that you have had a good dumping down there.

Posted

I know, but NW leeds russ said it's heavier snow out to the northwest of leeds, which is on much higher ground. I do admit it was a moment of panic though, happens every snow event lol.

I was NW Leeds when I joined as we lived in Rawdon. I am now SW Leeds I suppose. I live at the top of Pudsey at 185m asl although I am a Cumbrian really. I just don't tell anyone on this thread.........tongue.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Met office update for a few places in our region has heavy snow until 6pm now!! UPGRADE!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

It take a while to reach you but once it does...well, lets put it this way, theres still a few flakes falling down here in NW Essex now, it started snowing at 8am this morning, and got progressively heavier through the day. Have ended up with around 5-6 inches of fresh snowfall. I am at the upper reaches of the totals in my region, but when you consider that the system is tracking over much deeper waters for you guys than it was here, and its going to move even more slowly that it did here, you should be in for a good night smile.png

Good luck to you all!

SK

hi SK , this is a pleasant surprise....... really nice to see your thoughts on our region.... i usually see you very well put input in the model thread and quite useful too whilst i just skulk about there.

not to put you on the spot or anything , what do you think our weather will be like a week on wednesday.... bitter... cold... mildish.... or mush?

Posted

Nothing wrong with walking in the snow Mark, the worse part will be when heavy snow is falling and your doing your exam(good luck btw) although any PPN will probably of left you by then.

Sounds like going by reports its a "turning to snow event" for those living near the coast, although the sea track is longer up here it is something to bear in mind before I start throwing me toys around.

Thanks, i'll let you know how it goes :) Yes, my exam is in the afternoon. Its worse because everyone tramples the snow making it more slippery although i have my walking boots so should be ok i hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Blizzard like conditions here with quite large flakes, probably very wet flakes but the temperature is decreasing slowly so hopefully a covering could be on the cards.

Did you just say B*****D,GSLshok.gifclap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Moderate snowfall now. good.gif