Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 20/01/13 18z -------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Been at a party for the last four hours and a bit pi**ed truth be told but still remembered to lamp post watch and get the ruler out on return home. 10cms with 8 falling today for 11 hours.

A brilliant day and hope everyone is chuffed with what they got. Daughters school is already closed tomorrow so work plans are screwed but, hey, NOTHING comes second to snow.

Posted

Snowed since 8-30am small flakes, but non stop - Just been out much larger flakes falling,,,,12 hours of snowfall...Amazing day and my birthday to boot so thank you weather gods it's been brilliant air_kiss.gif Luv it.

Posted

you are right its still pulling north but for some reason energy on its sw flank has kept the snow going , ,not sure if its the fat lady clearing her thoart or are we having one of those surprises u get ? no idea why

I think it's just a heavy finger of snowfall that has given a bonus in a line running NNW from, say, Sutton up to Ealing/Harrow.

Posted

Still snowing in Dulwich, fine flakes, small to moderate pace. London looks so so beautiful tonight! About six inches total, counting the base from Friday...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Heaviest snow of today falling at the mo here in the west...

Posted

With regards tomorrow night is this from Thames Streamers or something or the lot potentially coming from the SW?

From the SW.

The track is very uncertain though.

Last 2 frames of the radar have seen a line of convergence developing from Surrey all the way SE down into sussex ( heathfield way)

Not a heavy or huge band- but at the top end in surrey a few green echoes- which is infact 1.5cm an hour---

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Amazing ... 14hrs and still it snows, nearly stopped but has just pepped up again, kids are happy as school has just announced its closed tomorrow temp-0.2c

Posted

No idea, need Steve, John or Surrey to give their take on it tbh but everything seems to be back building and shifting west

Don't take this in the wrong way but if I was still up north you'd be referred to as a "wee daftie".

Looking back over the last few days, you've had several feet of snow predicted all over the place and even had the bloody army out on the streets.

Even today you were referencing another 20cm+ for West London at half past two!!.

Clearly your heart is in the right place but try looking at and understanding the forecasts from the likes of Steve Murr, John Pike, Coast & others here.

Good luck.

Posted

No idea, need Steve, John or Surrey to give their take on it tbh but everything seems to be back building and shifting west

its not, its shifting north but as its a low pressure sytem its rotation is anti-clockwise therefore it appears to be shifting west. if you have been watching the radars and satellites all day, you will have seen the distinct line as the westerly flow collided with the LP system. if the easterly winds had been stronger it would have taken a more NWerly track. it appears to be 'compressing' against the westerlies which is why it appears to be "backbuilding".

you can see it here- http://www.sat24.com/gb

however, it is still on a northerly track. once it clears, temps are expected to drop giving a high risk of ice (which i can confirm after driving in it about an hour ago) it should be more or less dry (apart from some snizzle) until tomorrow morning when the next offering could come from the precip appearing off the south west at the moment- http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

as the Meto suggest, more could arrive but could be marginal along the coasts-

Monday:

Cold and mostly cloudy with some sleet and snow at times, particularly across southern counties but snow may also spread further north later. Rain is possible near the coast. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Posted

Hmm - just seen the 2015 radar returns. I now see what some other members are saying - a narrow band of snowfall running from Hastings to NW London before widening as it moves over the Chiltern Hills and up to Birmingham. Could this be a sting in the tail for those under it's flightpath? (excuse the Heathrow pun).

Edit: it is pounding it down as I write in Ealing. Possibly the heaviest snowfall of the day?!

Edited by Downpour

Posted

Still snowing in Reigate, despite my prediction at about 4pm that we had an hour to go! I think I should forget desultory attempts at forecasting and stick to general wittering about this, that and the other, mostly of couse the weather!

Anyway, some observations (this requires me only to copy down some numbers so I should be able to get this right)

Temp -0.9c

Dewpoint: -2.9c

hPa: 994.7 still falling

AS

Posted

Whats with all the arguing over who said what ?? This has been a fantastic snow day for much of The South East so lets just enjoy it.

Couldn't agree more

Posted

What's the radar saying for SE London? Wouldn't mind some of those 50p flakes veering this way.

Still snowing here in SE26 so you must have snow still I would have thought, even if it's not 50p size ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

That front just touching lands end right now on rain today - what's the deal?

Posted

Final snow depth score from East Farleigh is 10cm.

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17249-20-jan-2013-10cm/

Edited by sniffermark

Posted

Last 2 frames of the radar have seen a line of convergence developing from Surrey all the way SE down into sussex ( heathfield way)

Not a heavy or huge band- but at the top end in surrey a few green echoes- which is infact 1.5cm an hour---

S

That line is extending through West London and giving heavy-moderate snowfall in Ealing/Brentford etc right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Whats with all the arguing over who said what ?? This has been a fantastic snow day for much of The South East so lets just enjoy it.

Spot on, after Friday many of us, especially more Eastwards eas hugely annoyed with events and today we have all ben rewarded.

Me for one will mark this into the history books, 12hrs of snow, pretty good that even if it was fine at times.