Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 00z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Your eyes can't be deceiving you if you can see snowflakes and you are closer to the Northwestern edge of the system we talk about. I'm just concerned that you may have mixed your Temperatures and Dew points up, as you can't have a Dew point higher than your actual Temperature. acute.gif

Good point!! I have taken the temperature from my station and the dew point from the station down the road because I don't have that on my station. Thats a rookie mistake I feel. Thanks for the info GTLTW. Slowed down a bit now.

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted

Something to do with cloud cover! If the skies had been clear the temps would have plummeted, minus 10 would have been possible, and still is the rest of this week, given any lengthy clear spells....good.gif

Yes, but surely the METO know whether its going to be cloudy or clear skys? Thats why I dont get their forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Blimey Coast, you shouldn't have done that to me. Snow risk all the way. yahoo.gif

Posted

Blimey Coast, you shouldn't have done that to me. Snow risk all the way. yahoo.gif

Well good luck then Tony, I suspect I'm going to see cold rain in this region :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Does anyone think it'll come as far East as Newbury?

I did a brief summary earlier re: my thoughts but this is a radar watch I would say.

http://forum.netweat...00#entry2558051

Also, check out the posts prior to mine showing NAE and NMM output.

Well good luck then Tony, I suspect I'm going to see cold rain in this region doh.gif

Don't worry I'm far from convinced what I'll get or even what you'll get at this stage. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Woke up to find my car completely covered again and the pavements. Although my road had just about stopped being an ice rink and now I have to go through all of that again! It's a good thing we have a grit bin right next to us!

Posted

Got a nice covering now and still snowing heavy.... Looks like the main bit us on its way over the east of the region?? Hope you all get some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

Temp here is -1C. Band of precipitation now edging N-NE into Southampton to my SW.

Not sure if (a) it will reach Alton, (B) it will fall as snow?? Radar shows it all as rain ATM.

Edited by Timer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

If only that main clump of PPN was snow and not rain, raining heavily on and off in Exeter

....Whoever gets snow from this PPN as it moves north and east are going to get some good amounts of snow, lucky buggers!!! The snow fairy must really hate Exeter sad.png

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Looking at radar this band of precipitation seems to be heading in more of a north-easterly direction or is it going to start pivoting? EDIT: I am referring to second more southerly chunk.

Edited by Blizzardof82

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

This is a good piece of info explaining briefly the expectations of today from Ian;

W COUNTRY Rain currently over some inland areas, but colder low-level air feeding SW again later - & nocturnal chill - means snow is likely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Good morning! good.gif Met Office predicting some snow for me overnight and heavy by 6am, if only air_kiss.gif

Posted

Sorry Paul/netw,

Just a quick recap of where we are now, attached is the screen grab from NETW extra, with radar, current temps and predicted temps from NMM.

The colder air is just to the east (i.e Bournmouth 2C, Boscombe down 0C), current temp for me in N.Dorset is 2.9C.

Portland 6C etc.

Winds have started to swing round to the east now and temps have to start falling if we are going to get maximum snow chances for the SW.

Precip is where its progged to be in the channel. With the warm and colder sectors showing well.

atm the temps are probably couple of degrees colder than forecast for most Bouremouth should be 4C at least, boscombe down 2 to 3C, even Bristol should be 4C compared to bristol airport which is currently 0-1C.

This is good news, but we need to see temps falling in n.dorset and somerset by midday.

06z nmm shows much lower temps for the sw than forecast by the 00z nmm which is another good pointer.

post-6326-0-74007100-1358851654_thumb.pn

post-6326-0-51998200-1358851865_thumb.pn

post-6326-0-07276100-1358851874_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Temp here is -1C. Band of precipitation now edging N-NE into Southampton to my SW.

Not sure if (a) it will reach Alton, (cool.png it will fall as snow?? Radar shows it all as rain ATM.

Hmmm, that 1st heavy band appears to be pivoting North-West. So it may miss us completely. However there is a small (less intense) band coming up behind which seems to be going North-East. I'm not convinced we are going to see a lot of snow out of this sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Looking at radar this band of precipitation seems to be heading in more of a north-easterly direction or is it going to start pivoting? EDIT: I am referring to second more southerly chunk.

Looks to me like its pivoting around. Although above freezing outside the wind really takes the edge off of the temp, quite a bitter easterly

Posted

Sorry Paul/netw,

Just a quick recap of where we are now, attached is the screen grab from NETW extra, with radar, current temps and predicted temps from NMM.

The colder air is just to the east (i.e Bournmouth 2C, Boscombe down 0C), current temp for me in N.Dorset is 2.9C.

Portland 6C etc.

Winds have started to swing round to the east now and temps have to start falling if we are going to get maximum snow chances for the SW.

Precip is where its progged to be in the channel. With the warm and colder sectors showing well.

atm the temps are probably couple of degrees colder than forecast for most Bouremouth should be 4C at least, boscombe down 2 to 3C, even Bristol should be 4C compared to bristol airport which is currently 0-1C.

This is good news, but we need to see temps falling in n.dorset and somerset by midday.

06z nmm shows much lower temps for the sw than forecast by the 00z nmm which is another good pointer.

This could mean its all a little further south than forecast so far could have better results for more southern county's, still feel today is a nowcast but makes it very exciting for later for just about anywhere, with even some thunder being reported in places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Anymore reports from south of our region on current precipitation, anyone seeing snow?

Looks to me like its pivoting around. Although above freezing outside the wind really takes the edge off of the temp, quite a bitter easterly

Thanks that is what I wanted to heargood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Sorry Paul/netw,

Portland 6C etc.

While at this point, i couldn't reccomend buying netweather extra enough, you get a radar showing the precip type (rain,sleet,snow) and hundreds of other model data. ( & no i'm not on comission before you all ask! blum.gif )

Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in Winter, sunny in Summer :-)

It's like an ice rink here... Frozen rain and sleet and has just started raining moderately (Ashwater) . Yet again we missed the snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

If only that main clump of PPN was snow and not rain, raining heavily on and off in Exeter

....Whoever gets snow from this PPN as it moves north and east are going to get some good amounts of snow, lucky buggers!!! The snow fairy must really hate Exeter sad.png

Yes - performance related pay for snow fairies down here would certainly see her out of a job!

Posted

Anymore reports from south of our region on current precipitation, anyone seeing snow?

Thanks that is what I wanted to heargood.gif

Still falling here and has been for 2 hours now.

Posted

Yep its well with a bit of money, Personally i only get it in the winter snow months as i just dont need this level of detail except for snow (it doesnt matter whether the temp outside is 21 or 23C in the summer! ).

Worth pointing out that the precip set to bring snow is probably going to originate below brighton and move swiftly westwards in the band.(hope that makes sense but dont have time to do a diagram)