Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 00z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Good luck somerset you look to be in the firing line today :D

Warnings updated in Weston Super Mare could do well today could be a prime spot along with mendips.

No way!! I like the sound of that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Tell that precipitation to slow down with its movement Northwards, otherwise I think there is more chance of most of us getting a wintry mix rather than plain old snow, at least at first. help.gif

Currently, a level snow cover of 90mm still exists at Newbury with the current AT at -0.3c, DP -0.7c, steady Barometer reading of 999.8mb and 1mph Easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

If you back track through the radar the system as a whole is moving pretty much north I think. The rotation seems to give it a NW movement each frame. Might be wishful thinking though....

Looks good, we just need it to stay together and also stay far enough east, although looking at the radar the chances of it slipping to far west are low at present.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards of Dry Powdery Snow

Still raining here. Sounds funny but the birds seem to be twittering a fair old bit at the moment. Call me insane but I've know that to happy just before some serious snowfall ...

Blimey, I'm really clutching at straws now ... roll on February help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold

Amber warning for snow S Glos, W Wilts, Bristol, Somerset, W Dorset and E Devon. good.gif

Issued at: 1131 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Valid from: 1345 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Valid to: 0900 on Wed 23 Jan 2013

Outbreaks of sleet or snow will affect parts of southwest England and South Wales during Tuesday, extending to other parts of southern England and the south Midlands later. Where rain or sleet is currently falling, this is expected to turn increasingly to snow during this afternoon and evening, even at low levels. Some 2-5 cm of snow is likely in places with 10 cm or more within the amber warning area and on high ground. This could be locally heavy and fall in a short period of time, perhaps just a few hours. The risk extends towards the northeast of the warning area later in the period and persists overnight.

The public should be aware of possible disruption to transport.

Edited by TheLastMinute

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

WE Do now have AMBER warning for our reagon ,we just need to suck in lower temp from east .so looking good, precipitation looking hvy on radar .wouldnt be surprised if some see 10/15 cm with luck on our side ,enjoy the ride .help.gifdrinks.gif

Even though we had clear skies for at least some time last night we only got to -2. Lack of decent overnight minima has been disappointing so far this cold spell, but the snow on friday more than makes up for it, let alone the potential snow for tonight!

Posted

Still raining here. Sounds funny but the birds seem to be twittering a fair old bit at the moment. Call me insane but I've know that to happy just before some serious snowfall ...

Blimey, I'm really clutching at straws now ... roll on February help.gif

Yep, roll on Feb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Looks good, we just need it to stay together and also stay far enough east, although looking at the radar the chances of it slipping to far west are low at present.

Could be good for us if it gets this far north. My impression is reading other's posts that the eastern half of the system is the colder too...

Posted

Sorry Paul/netw,

Just a quick recap of where we are now, attached is the screen grab from NETW extra, with radar, current temps and predicted temps from NMM.

The colder air is just to the east (i.e Bournmouth 2C, Boscombe down 0C), current temp for me in N.Dorset is 2.9C.

Portland 6C etc.

Winds have started to swing round to the east now and temps have to start falling if we are going to get maximum snow chances for the SW.

Precip is where its progged to be in the channel. With the warm and colder sectors showing well.

atm the temps are probably couple of degrees colder than forecast for most Bouremouth should be 4C at least, boscombe down 2 to 3C, even Bristol should be 4C compared to bristol airport which is currently 0-1C.

This is good news, but we need to see temps falling in n.dorset and somerset by midday.

06z nmm shows much lower temps for the sw than forecast by the 00z nmm which is another good pointer.

Certainly got colder and the wind increasing in the last 30mins in North Dorset, it has now started snowing. I'm looking forward to some interesting developments this afternoon!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Pretty darn wet here, which i don't mind. It washes all the crap away that the slushy snow had made last week.

Temp, 4.6°C and 5.6mm of rain. January is at 60.6mm.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Light snow flurrying now started on mendip clapping.gifclapping.gif

Posted

DP -2, AT 1. Wind NNW,

Raining...

I have a feeling i'm going to be ok! It just shows what an incredibly fine line we almost always tread along the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Bath looks like it could have heavy snow for a period today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

The precipitation on the radar creeps ever closer to Alton!

Temp here has risen in last hour from -1C to +1C. A mere

whisper of a wind from SE. Seem to be very much on the

edge of things ATM, although updated METO warning does

say 'extending to other parts of southern England later....'.

Birds are busy in the garden - usually a good sign of snow?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Looking v good ppl, although I'm outside the amber just about , still think we will all do very well out of this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards of Dry Powdery Snow

Bah, just to the right of the lower right of the Amber area. Just need a slight shift over to the right cray.gif

Edited by Agenda109