Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 00z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Depends or intensity and your dew point I think, lower the better.

Ok, thanks mate. Its very heavy now. Starting to settle better. Hope you get it up there, much more than friday.

Posted

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather

W COUNTRY Areas more likely for snow as potentially troublesome tonight are: E Som; Wilts (e.g. M4 corridor); B&NES; Bristol; S Glos; Glos

Sounds good

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather

W COUNTRY Given continued forecast confidence issues, best advice is to work on precautionary approach & assume tonight could be 'messy'...!

Edited by lfcdude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Intriguing viewing today, whilst its not everything the most suitable Dew points, i.e. of snow producing type, invade most parts of the effected area from 7pm onwards. So, my take on things is that we need to be looking at delaying the band of precipitation until such a timeframe. If it comes in prior to the predicted timeslot, it will most definitely start as rain, then hopefully progressively turn to snow thereafter. This way though, it is a riskier route to the white stuff. I feel this has the makings of an M4 boundary event with places South of this line largely seeing rain, as things stand. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Thunder & hail in Exeter and at the moment it's quite dark

Yep sure is. It's a bit like being dealt a pair of 8's in a game of poker after watching everyone else being dealt pocket rockets all evening.

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Something to also remember is that if many areas see an hour or 2 of rain prior to heavy snow it will wash all the salt off the main roads and then with low surface temperatures.... help.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Intriguing viewing today, whilst its not everything the most suitable Dew points, i.e. of snow producing type, invade most parts of the effected area from 7pm onwards. So, my take on things is that we need to be looking at delaying the band of precipitation until such a timeframe. If it comes in prior to the predicted timeslot, it will most definitely start as rain, then hopefully progressively turn to snow thereafter. This way though, it is a riskier route to the white stuff. I feel this has the makings of an M4 boundary event with places South of this line largely seeing rain, as things stand. good.gif

Its snowing here GTLTW, due point in 0.9c and temp 0.3 c. Is that right??!!

Something to also remember is that if many areas see an hour or 2 of rain prior to heavy snow it will wash all the salt off the main roads and then with low surface temperatures.... help.gif

Could make things interesting.

Posted

So, my take on things is that we need to be looking at delaying the band of precipitation until such a timeframe. good.gif

I'm on a day off..........I'll see what I can do! smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Just ventured into the model thread and came out wishing I hadn't gone in. The wrist slitting has started because of the forecasted less cold spell. Don't people realise that our normal winters consist of cold and mild spells? Prolonged severe cold and snow are very rare events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Its amazing, all this talk of more snow, ice and freezing overnight temperatures!

All week the forecast has been for temps to drop at night from -2 to -6 (ish). The temp in my location hasent gone below -0.9!

That was the coldest night since 12th Jan when this all kicked off. Most nights have been just above freezing!

Still waiting for the cold spell to start.

Could Ian F explain why the forecasted temps are so way off the mark? This is quite imby I know.

Something to do with cloud cover! If the skies had been clear the temps would have plummeted, minus 10 would have been possible, and still is the rest of this week, given any lengthy clear spells....good.gif

Posted

I have a feeling for the Swindon area this will be a bigger snow event than Friday, where we only got about 7cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Ok, thanks mate. Its very heavy now. Starting to settle better. Hope you get it up there, much more than friday.

I wonder if I can convince the university to open a small campus in princetown which I would obviously have to run......... rolleyes.gif

Posted

I wonder if I can convince the university to open a small campus in princetown which I would obviously have to run......... rolleyes.gif

Get the national park to put in a business plan mate!! Haha!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Well dozed off and awoke on sofa to Ian's tweets lovely now time to watch radar and see how this pans out, I think there will still be twists and turns along the way. Current temp 1.4c humidity 86% wind light east dew point below zero.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Its snowing here GTLTW, due point in 0.9c and temp 0.3 c. Is that right??!!

Could make things interesting.

Your eyes can't be deceiving you if you can see snowflakes and you are closer to the Northwestern edge of the system we talk about. I'm just concerned that you may have mixed your Temperatures and Dew points up, as you can't have a Dew point higher than your actual Temperature. acute.gif

Posted

Well dozed off and awoke on sofa to Ian's tweets lovely now time to watch radar and see how this pans out, I think there will still be twists and turns along the way. Current temp 1.4c humidity 86% wind light east dew point below zero.

Did you get a new dusting of snow overnight? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Brilliant tweet from Ian, many Thanks Ian for all your input and hard work.

3-6cm doesn`t sound that much to me though for such a heavy consistent spell of snow, i would of thought in the region of 10cm -15cm at least or am i bit to optimistic?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Rain mainly here....odd bit of sleet on the way from Yeovil to Sherborne. What's my chances of seeing snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Did you get a new dusting of snow overnight? smile.png

Yes pavement all white againgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

The mass of ppn is heading more northwest looking at the radar could be a full on wet down for devon and somerset with the usual areas getting the snow!