Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 22nd 2013 14:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Just seen BBC weather and they saying a sting in the tail coming on Friday, looks like more snow before it turns to rain Saturday!

Really. Ah that's good news. Would rather go out with a bang then just rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Also I would like to start a 'winter score so far' (WSSF) scoring system to keep this thread going during the boring parts of winter so...

Out of 10 I would like people to rate the following.

Cold ?/10

Snow falling frequency ?/10

Snow depth ?/10

Lying snow ?/10

Days off work/school caused by snow ?/10

Total...(Add up the scores):

1-10 = Terrible Winter!

11-15 = 1990's Winter!

16-20 = Fairly Average Winter!

21-25 = Okay, but could be better Winter!

26-30 = Good Winter!

31-35 = Very good, no work for me Winter!

36-40 = One to remember Winter!

41-45 = High fuel bill Winter!

46-50 = Standed Winter!

Nice Paul,

My scores are all 6/10 apart from the last one which is a 5, so a total of 29, I'm happy!

Posted

Light snow falling off and on here for the last couple of hours now, nothing significant but with colder uppers arriving through the day, this could continue for much of the day now as long as we retain the SEly flow

SK

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

light snow here. Looks like it's intensifying over our part of the region. Anyone know why that would be?

light snow here. Looks like it's intensifying over our part of the region. Anyone know why that would be?

See SK post above

PS The latest Met Office update throught to February has changed to near normal temperatures and rain and away from the return of any cold as it has been showing for the past couple of days.

Edited by chris mantle

Posted

See SK post above

PS The latest Met Office update throught to February has changed to near normal temperatures and rain and away from the return of any cold as it has been showing for the past couple of days.

i never take the long range forecasts seriously they change from one extreme to the other to regualy :) i take it with a pinch of salt :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It feels a bit 'After the Lord Mayor's Show' here now, with gently thawing snow and only a snow to rain event (which I dislike) likely at the weekend and then no sign of any exciting weather in the reliable timeframe afterwards.

It's also too early for me to think about the warmer days of Spring. Maybe it's a good time for me to stop watching the models? Maybe I'll look again on Monday. smile.png

Oh and I'd give the winter about 25 so far, on Paul's scale above, so pretty good for this stage and it can only improve. :)

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Snowing lightly here in Cambridge now. Notice from the radar we're under some darker blues from this small band of snow to the south of us.

Posted

Just started coming down quite heavy here. Didn't really expect anything today, so a nice little surprise.

Posted

Light snow falling off and on here for the last couple of hours now, nothing significant but with colder uppers arriving through the day, this could continue for much of the day now as long as we retain the SEly flow

SK

As you say it looks like a rare type streamer is being established and it wasnt forecast / picked up by any high res model. If you run the animation you can see that the precip starts around Brighton and travels NW in the SE breeze. It gets heavier as it goes over London area, Low 850HPA traveling over warmer ground air intensifying it? Could be an interesting evening if it continues!

www.raintoday.co.uk

Posted

There is a massive blob of cloud heading across the North Sea towards Lowestoft. Should be lots of snow here later.

Edit: Ignore that, it was a piece of burger bap stuck to my computer screen.

Edited by Gary_R_Walker

Posted

A bit more a thaw here today though still a full cover on the grass. Currently snowing here, temp 1.8C, dew point -1.8C.

Posted

Also I would like to start a 'winter score so far' (WSSF) scoring system to keep this thread going during the boring parts of winter so...

Out of 10 I would like people to rate the following.

Cold ?/10

Snow falling frequency ?/10

Snow depth ?/10

Lying snow ?/10

Days off work/school caused by snow ?/10

Total...(Add up the scores):

1-10 = Terrible Winter!

11-15 = 1990's Winter!

16-20 = Fairly Average Winter!

21-25 = Okay, but could be better Winter!

26-30 = Good Winter!

31-35 = Very good, no work for me Winter!

36-40 = One to remember Winter!

41-45 = High fuel bill Winter!

46-50 = Standed Winter!

Good idea. :)

I got a score of 28, hopefully more snow to come later on in the winter.

Posted

the Aylesbury snowshield has been working overtime today fully deflecting anything of note well away from this town.. shocking .

Posted

the Aylesbury snowshield has been working overtime today fully deflecting anything of note well away from this town.. shocking .

which bit of Aylesbury? Certainly not the view I had from the window up till an hour or so ago! Nothing sticking but plenty falling at times in the town centre.

Posted

which bit of Aylesbury? Certainly not the view I had from the window up till an hour or so ago! Nothing sticking but plenty falling at times in the town centre.

LOL anything of note :-) ,it approached on the radar looking good but as usual died(lighter blue) a bit then pepped up(greens) on its departure ,MK looks far better placed.

Edited by Vince

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Been snowing (flurries) pretty much all day, settling on top of snow but melting on roads etc.

and as last night.....the radar has been useless.

Does anyone know why please?

Edited by stratty