Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 22nd 2013 14:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Correct my friend

The 850mb temperatures are around 1500m up in the troposphere, where as being right on the coast, you are probably getting the modification effect of the (relatively) warmer North Sea, sending 2m Temperatures up a little

SK

Thanks my friend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Very heavy snow here

Posted

My sister just text. Heavy snow in Radlett herts... Grrrrrr... Where's mine!!!

But nothing a mile up the road. I drove through it - nothing significant but nice to see some bigger flakes for a change!

Posted

and as last night.....the radar has been useless.

Does anyone know why please?

Could be a couple of reasons. The first is that the cloud it's coming from could be low enough that there no line of sight to the radar station. The other, and probably more likely today, is that the precipitation is so small that it's not providing enough of a radar return to register. It's a function of precipitation reflectivity and distance ie the smaller the size the closer it has to be to the radar set to register. Hope that helps - if you want to read more this may be of interest http://badc.nerc.ac....factsheet15.pdf - it's pretty good, not too many white lies (aka simplifications) going on in it to bother most people (apart from the bit about doppler radar - it's not how doppler works). Edited by Grinzzz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Could be a couple of reasons. The first is that the cloud it's coming from could be low enough that there no line of sight to the radar station. The other, and probably more likely today, is that the precipitation is so small that it's not providing enough of a radar return to register. It's a function of precipitation reflectivity and distance ie the smaller the size the closer it has to be to the radar set to register. Hope that helps - if you want to read more this may be of interest http://badc.nerc.ac....factsheet15.pdf - it's pretty good, not too many white lies (aka simplifications) going on in it to bother most people (apart from the bit about doppler radar - it's not how doppler works).

Thanks for this good.gif

Always learning!

Very heavy snow here for a couple of hours, 2 inches down already.We are on the end of the north London streamer!!!

Certainly covering everything again, roughly a cm at the most though here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Empty in here tonight HELLO..HELLO....HELLO.....HELLO....HELLO.....HELLO.......

Hello....Hello...Hello....Hello...Hello...Hello....*echoes back*

I've just got in and driving home there were some flakes of snow showing up in the car headlamps and as I walked in the front door my rain alarm went off so maybe a bit more to come tonight..who knows !

Temperature 0.1 °C

Dew Point -1.1 °C

Posted

I've just got in and driving home there were some flakes of snow showing up in the car headlamps and as I walked in the front door my rain alarm went off so maybe a bit more to come tonight..who knows !

The "Return of the Blob" now showing in the south east of the region on a radar display near you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Cold 6/10

Snow falling frequency 4/10

Snow depth 5/10

Lying snow 7/10

Days off work/school caused by snow 3/10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Clearing sky now. I wonder how low the overnight temp will go?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Very heavy snow here for a couple of hours, 2 inches down already.We are on the end of the north London streamer!!!

Really ????

Posted

Just wondering why some people put their tongues out on their profile pictures. Not attractive. Still +2.5 here.

I feel the same about men in shorts and polo shirts...

Edited by Mrsf16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Snowing Heavy here 20p flakes still a bit too wet as well as the rapid that from today and yesterday.

Im going to give it time as it looks its going no where fast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Right you lot if you haven't already built a snowman get out there an do it quick....

Build a snowman by order of the GOVERNMENT! Environment Agency urges homeowners to pile up ice and prevent flooding by delaying thaw

http://www.dailymail...aying-thaw.html

post-10773-0-14037300-1358977590_thumb.j

Posted

Just wondering why some people put their tongues out on their profile pictures. Not attractive. Still +2.5 here.

temp now dropped to 0.2 with a dew point of -5.2, the sky has now cleared and the moon is out..

Guess to colder uppers are now hitting, just took the dogs for a walk over the fields still a good 6 inch over most areas..

hope for more snow on friday night,