Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 22nd 2013 14:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Bloomin chilly here made worse because I have the back door open for the dryer hose thingy. Brrrrrrrr!

Looking forward to Spring now and those mild nights when it smells nice. :)

Posted
LOL anything of note :-) ,it approached on the radar looking good but as usual died(lighter blue) a bit then pepped up(greens) on its departure ,MK looks far better placed.

not certain but I don't think MK got much today, according to the wifelet anyway. Quite a few good showers in Aylesbury town centre; I even got to see some properly sized flakes ie not fun sized.

Posted

snow has turned into a slushy mess now, and it is a hassle to walk in, since we aren't gonna have a fresh top up, i say roll on the weekend and the milder air to clear this disgusting slush

didn't do that great here tbh only the three inches

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted

Just visited my sister is Radlett herts. They seem to have kept there snow cover much better than Essex, think it was due to the warmer uppers yesterday that moved across here.

Been snowing in Radlett mod/heavy since 2pm, back to Epping and nothing!

So any news on possible snow Friday? I see the Meto has a warning for the north midlands northwards. Not us :-(

Posted

So any news on possible snow Friday? I see the Meto has a warning for the north midlands northwards. Not us :-(

latest raw ukmo run seems to show the possibility of a decent fall friday night followed by a slow thaw saturday. gem keeps the precip as snow throughout. gfs is snow/sleet but not much precip. if the output looks like that tomorrow, i expect the meto will spread their warnings further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

,MK looks far better placed.

It always is ! We have had flurries of the non Maccy D type here most of the day !

not certain but I don't think MK got much today,

No accumulations, apart from the 1cm overnight !

Posted

latest raw ukmo run seems to show the possibility of a decent fall friday night followed by a slow thaw saturday. gem keeps the precip as snow throughout. gfs is snow/sleet but not much precip. if the output looks like that tomorrow, i expect the meto will spread their warnings further south.

Thanks for the reply. Well it sounds promising at least, would rather enter a mild spell with a snow to rain event, rather than just all rain.

Posted

12z GFS says a quiet day Friday until the early hours of Saturday and then you guys get this:

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Sunday looks to be shaping up for some gusty fun...

gfs_gusts_eur72.png

Eastern coasts getting a barrage of sustained high winds too:

96_21.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Also I would like to start a 'winter score so far' (WSSF) scoring system to keep this thread going during the boring parts of winter so...

Out of 10 I would like people to rate the following.

Cold ?/10

Snow falling frequency ?/10

Snow depth ?/10

Lying snow ?/10

Days off work/school caused by snow ?/10

Total...(Add up the scores):

1-10 = Terrible Winter!

11-15 = 1990's Winter!

16-20 = Fairly Average Winter!

21-25 = Okay, but could be better Winter!

26-30 = Good Winter!

31-35 = Very good, no work for me Winter!

36-40 = One to remember Winter!

41-45 = High fuel bill Winter!

46-50 = Standed Winter!

ok for me I would say:

cold 7/10

falling frequency 8/10

depth 8/10

laying snow 7/10

days off 6/10

so total of 36

and one to remember!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I'll play it myself...

Cold 8/10

Snow falling frequency 8/10

Snow depth 7/10

Lying snow 7/10

Days off work/school caused by snow 7/10

1-10 = Terrible Winter!

11-15 = 1990's Winter!

26-30 = Good Winter!

46-50 = Standed Winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Have had some fair snow today at work in Radlett this afternoon mainly, but nothing too major and no more settling. Still have more snow here still than there. They have had quite a thaw compared to us. Driving home it was a little snowy with some flakes coming down and now looking at that pink blob on the radar to see if we get more here now

I'll play it myself...

Cold 8/10

Snow falling frequency 8/10

Snow depth 7/10

Lying snow 7/10

Days off work/school caused by snow 7/10

1-10 = Terrible Winter!

11-15 = 1990's Winter!

26-30 = Good Winter!

46-50 = Standed Winter!

i played :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Cold 4/10

Snow falling frequency 2/10

Snow depth 5/10

Lying snow 4/10

Days off work/school caused by snow 0/10

A score of 15.

A 1990's winter :o

Posted

Hellooooooooooooo. Just got in, and must say that around 2.15 this afternoon we hd a very heavy snow shower, with dark skies and large flakes.! It quickly covered over all the ice that is left on side roads and paths. Then it snowed lightly for most of the afternoon, quite a surprise.

And ive just got this feelng in my water, that there will be upgrades for our area on friday / friday evening / early saturday. I just have a hunch that our cold block will put up more of a fight that people suggest. Could quite easily see a heavy spell of snow before later on saturday the milder air finally edges in. Anyone share that view ?

Posted

A 1990's winter ohmy.png

We had two days/nights of snow. Pretty good amount, but nothing special. Never really got particularly cold for long periods. Pretty well all melted now. And wouldn't take time off work if there was 6ft of snow so no points there.

Edited by Gary_R_Walker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Hellooooooooooooo. Just got in, and must say that around 2.15 this afternoon we hd a very heavy snow shower, with dark skies and large flakes.! It quickly covered over all the ice that is left on side roads and paths. Then it snowed lightly for most of the afternoon, quite a surprise.

And ive just got this feelng in my water, that there will be upgrades for our area on friday / friday evening / early saturday. I just have a hunch that our cold block will put up more of a fight that people suggest. Could quite easily see a heavy spell of snow before later on saturday the milder air finally edges in. Anyone share that view ?

Posted

Peter Gibbs has 2-5cm for our region on Friday so everything looks pretty good.

Posted

Colder uppers now arriving from the east, and notice a slight uptick in the shallow convection from the channel/thames estuary in the next couple of hours. If it carries on its track NWwards, many of us could continue seeing some light snow flurries right through the evening, though as pressure starts to rise I would favour this activity being killed off the further into the night we go

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

I agree, I think this Mild arriving will not just come walking in so to speak,I also believe it will be very brief. Snow events over the weekend could produce more than forecast. I guess we will just have to wait see.?

Posted

Colder uppers now arriving from the east, and notice a slight uptick in the shallow convection from the channel/thames estuary in the next couple of hours. If it carries on its track NWwards, many of us could continue seeing some light snow flurries right through the evening, though as pressure starts to rise I would favour this activity being killed off the further into the night we go

SK

Interesting you should say colder uppers now arriving from the east. If you live in the UK you can't get any further east than me without buying a boat, and the temperature here has been about +3c all day, and has just started rising to +3.5. So I'm presuming "uppers" has nothing whatsoever to do with the temperature that we humans experience.

Posted

Interesting you should say colder uppers now arriving from the east. If you live in the UK you can't get any further east than me without buying a boat, and the temperature here has been about +3c all day, and has just started rising to +3.5. So I'm presuming "uppers" has nothing whatsoever to do with the temperature that we humans experience.

Correct my friend

The 850mb temperatures are around 1500m up in the troposphere, where as being right on the coast, you are probably getting the modification effect of the (relatively) warmer North Sea, sending 2m Temperatures up a little

SK