Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z------------->

A.J

Posted

Well sort of.

It's been snowing all afternoon here in Poole, and then around 6ish it was rain, snow,rain,snow,rain,snow,rain,snow which is still the case.

A measured 2cms was the outcome for the afternoon.

Currently:

Temp 0.3°C

DP -1.6°C

As everything now dripscray.gif

Seems I'm stuck between snow either side! Any chance of it coming my way & us getting a meaningfull fall?

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Still rain here :-(. Can't even lamp post watch as most of the village seems to have a powercut. . . . . Except me so can still keep checking in on here and more importantly keep the wine chilled!!!!!!! Temp 1.1 (feels like -3). DP 0.4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Really did'nt expect any snow today, Rained all morning but did turn snow this afternoon, Snowing heavy now with strong gusty winds, not been much settling of snow,but retained last weeks cover on fields and hills, Windchill feels very uncomfortable, My temp gauge gave up the ghost, so no idea of current temps,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Heavy again, is that heavy pulse on radar heading north to Bristol????

Posted

Not looking good for Bristol thus far,unless the precipitation which is giving parts of Somerset a dumping starts to move up to Bristol this all could be a damp squib here. Snow is to just to wet and not settling.

Well it's a shame you aren't seeing any, but I pretty much missed out on Fridays event, so I think I deserve it :D

Posted

Wondering if the current gap of light sleet/snow area over South Wiltshire will be filled by heavier coming up from the Southampton direction.

Temp has been 0.4c for nearly 3 hours since the heaviest burst and there's a slow thaw of some of what settled earlier, although a good few

CMs on most surfaces which were clear and a decent top up on what was left from Friday.

Not according to the earlier forecasts on the beeb. They had a distinct gap over South Wilts, which has become apparent in the last couple of hours. It eventually all slides west, snow to the north of Salisbury, rain/sleet mix to the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

Still snowing here although eased a bit in last hour. About 2cms settled on top of

lying snow. Temp now +0.4C - roads will be tricky if this freezes later!

Local problems (A31 Winchester-Alton bad at moment).

Not sure how much more we will get, radar looks a bit more patchy now.

Posted

Quite heavy again now and temps dropping - icy underfoot, rather than slushy

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

Coming diwn really heavy now, yes here in Portsmouth. The car outside is starting to go white - just needs to be a tiny bit heavier... if only it had started like this before the snow from Friday had melted!

Posted

Seems I'm stuck between snow either side! Any chance of it coming my way & us getting a meaningfull fall?

There appears to be one last little surge heading your way, but dont cross too many things, it might get painful!

I think the only thing "meaningful" is that it's dying away where we are as it edges away to the WNW, I think you've had your chips on this one.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Lovely covering here, a few inches.

Once again, said this a million times...

If it was below freezing the snow depths would be so much more inpressive.

0.4 and steady.

Posted

It has rained all day here, more or less, sleet for a couple of hours and the whole things left massive puddles and a very wet ground.

Been snowing here now for about 2 1/2 hours, probably got a good couple of centimetres of lying, settled snow and it is still bucketing down. Initially the snow was very slushy, but now (and i quote my young neighbour) "This is the best snow I have ever seen!" :D

So don't be to disheartened if snow has only just started, it will settle.

Posted

I think the only thing "meaningful" is that it's dying away where we are as it edges away to the WNW, I think you've had your chips on this one.

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. Good luck all. Hoping to be back in the game in Feb!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Just a flying visit from the West Mids thread. It looks great on the radar for those in Gloucester, Ross and, shortly, Hereford - is anyone in the Gloucester-Ross-Hereford triangle willing to pop onto the West Mids thread and let us know how things are where you are please?

post-2851-0-70676400-1358886938_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Just a flying visit from the West Mids thread. It looks great on the radar for those in Gloucester, Ross and, shortly, Hereford - is anyone in the Gloucester-Ross-Hereford triangle willing to pop onto the West Mids thread and let us know how things are where you are please?

post-2851-0-70676400-1358886938_thumb.jp

Gained about 1cm in 2 hours.

Snow changes from light to heavy, small to big flakes.

Roads are white, grass is white again.

Looks like its easing on the radar, however NAE predicts it lasts all night, so who knows it if will build again..

Posted

Primary concern now uplands W Somerset and Forest of Dean. Decent break now across many central areas extending west, but potential for more to follow later behind. I'm quite hopeful situation for main urban areas (e.g. Bristol) will now be largely improving, not least given wet snow story and vehicular traffic helping to clear it in next couple of hours before it all falls quieter. Morning rush might well be fine for these areas, but story over parts of Mendips Plateau and other uplands will be far less pretty for travellers. Next major issue will be into weekend as rapid thaw, with heavy rain too, conspires to bring flooding issues. Could get pretty bad for some (again). But at least the freeze gets swept-aside very readily, so the scope of transport/services disruption of late will ease.

Edited by fergieweather

Posted

Primary concern now uplands W Somerset and Forest of Dean. Decent break now across many central areas extending west, but potential for more to follow later behind. I'm quite hopeful situation for main urban areas (e.g. Bristol) will now be largely improving, not least given wet snow story and vehicular traffic helping to clear it in next couple of hours before it all falls quieter. Morning rush might well be fine for these areas, but story over parts of Mendips Plateau and other uplands will be far less pretty for travellers. Next major issue will be into weekend as rapid thaw, with heavy rain too, conspires to bring flooding issues. Could get pretty bad for some (again). But at least the freeze gets swept-aside very readily, so the scope of transport/services disruption of late will ease.

Hi Ian - any prediction for Bracknell area please?

Edited by Sungirl

Posted

rubbish here over the bridge,,,,really sad ;-(

you think it's rubbish there you want to live here we have had not one snow flake zilch bugger all search.gif

Posted

Thanks for the update Ian. May be of use for your met office colleagues, because its snowing very heavily here in Taunton, as I'm under this heavier PPN, and has been snowing for a couple of hours now, yet they still forecast sleet all night (apart from midnight). Very strange, would have thought it would have been changed now...