Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 23z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Still don't buy Fridays snow event, winds are coming off the atlantic in advance of the front from a ssw direction, as opposed to the south easterly direction we saw last Friday. Looks a quick snow to rain event to me at best, quick covering, followed by slush then puddles.

These snow to rain events rarely deliver anything interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I agree. Particularly in this area, snow to rain are rarely interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

I agree. Particularly in this area, snow to rain are rarely interesting.

After the last week. Expect the unexpected! Even though the models are giving us a period of heavy of heavy snow plus even on sat the temps are still v cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Fridays front looks like arriving in the evening anyway, friday its self dry, winds are not actually Atlantic before front, look a direct deflected southerly similar to feb 4th, but less cold air will move in behind front, skies unlikely to be clear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I think how things pan out tomorrow night will certainly be nothing out of the ordinary,im afraid to say! Snow initially, that probably turning to rain fairly quickly at low levels but if youre on high ground I think youll gain more snow cover than loose it. The thing is ,it quickly turns clear and cold in the early hours of Saturday morning with widespread ice and some dense freezing fog patches and some snow cover to especially on high ground. Its gonna be a cold day for the most on Saturday untill later when the real mild air arrives with the wet and windy melting the snow. So I do think a messy end to this cold spell and the real thaw comes mainly on Saturday rather than Friday.Thats my take on it as things stand now. Just to add there may be a chance of freezing rain in one or two locations for a time, dont be surprised to see that, but only a small chance at presant....blum.gifblum.gifblum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

http://www.weatheron...=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

By the looks of it, it looks like a widespread foot of snow!

Be in mind the run starts off showing a boat load of snow to represent whats already on the ground so sadly, no not as much as you may be expecting on Friday. :lol:

Posted

NAE ==== Mega snow event countrywide

http://www.weatheron...=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

but it's at midnight and later ... And it will be followed by rain. Yuk.

Edited by picog

Posted

06z nae starting to look a bit more realistic, quick snow to rain event.

Posted

Looks like all rain right from the get go tommorow here now, shame this spells going out with a whimper instead of a bang but its been a fantastic spell of weather only let down by the lack of cold nights.

Posted

It still goes with a few hours of initial snow, but can't see it amounting to much. Peak district northwards could be in line for something more meaningful as they retain slightly colder uppers for longer.

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

well the end is almost upon us i hope friday's event goes out with a bang. At the moment it doesn't look like we gona get another cold sbell any time soon. With all the forecasts for a cold feb well itt doesn't look like is gona happen, cold in mid to late feb here is just a waste.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or hot

It looks like the MetO have updated some of the warnings to amber recently, doesn't affect me yet but it's good to see some potential of some heavy snow!

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

these events in the past have brought the biggest snowfalls, however on this occasion it looks pretty marginal from the off.

See what happens.

March 95 was an epic snowfall due to this - 8 inches in 3 hours!

Edited by mozza81

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

NAE ==== Mega snow event countrywide

http://www.weatheron...=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Not Here!

Posted

Looks like all rain right from the get go tommorow here now, shame this spells going out with a whimper instead of a bang but its been a fantastic spell of weather only let down by the lack of cold nights.

The METO don't see rain from the get-go in your area. I suspect it will be snow to begin with in many places and I think the only reason the SW Midlands is not in the warning zone is because they envisage the heaviest PPN to be further North.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Marginal and fronts like this, mean rain or sleet here. Hope everyone enjoys the last fall, judging by the output it could be one of the last this winter (let's hope not)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

this could be the last snowfall for this winter, cold sbell mid to late feb doesn't have the same effect here, that's y im not too keen on mid too late feb cold sbells, for cold to have any affect here it has to be a harsh cold. Maybe other parts of the midlands could be different. How ever going by current moddel output and met's 30day update it doesn't look good for another cold shot anytime soon.

Posted

12z the nail in the coffin for tommorow, has even milder temperatures and uppers than the 06z, rain for all at this rate.

Posted

Sun is out for the first time in about 10 days so hopefully a decent frost tonight. However the thaw has gathered pace today despite temps again only just above freezing; down to about 4cm and large patches clear.

Posted

I’d rather trust the METO/NAE than the GFS, the latter had the February event last year as nothing more than transitory snow – for all areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Temp shot up to 2 degrees today! Quite a thaw but still a fair bit of snow lying. I think we will see several cm's tomorrow evening/night before it turns to sleet/rain :)