Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 23rd January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

yeah still mega here

Posted

wow eight inches of snow in places.

Posted

About 10 minutes ago, we've reached about 15cm now. (considering the ruler has space at the end)

post-14775-0-82257200-1359156726_thumb.j

And here we have 2cm of a slushy icy mess, Fair to say the Macc - Wigan game is still on tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Isn't the train much quicker & easier from the uni CC? Anyhoo, snow much lighter now & may well turn back to sleet, but we've easily added 5 inches in the last few hours. I expected a decent fall, but when it turned sleety for half an hour earlier, I certainly didn't expect what has followed!

Haha probably! Don't know why I never got the train TBH.....would have been better than that number 20!

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Snow still belting down. Temp had risen to 1.5C, but dropped back again to 1.1C

Washing line looks stretched down with weight of snow. I wonder how the overhead elec cables are doing.

Chaos shown on those Motorway pics. Feel very sorry for drivers caught up in all the jams

Posted

Hi everyone quick question will it turn to rain over the west side of the pennies

Only asking because its my b'day and have a meal planned tomorrow at 3:30

Edited by Snowfun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Interesting the local differences, parts of Oldham lower down than me have had proper snow all the way through and are getting on for 6/7 inches judging by the facebook pictures! Its all very slushy now here, difficult to walk in, theres about 3 inches of slop!

Edited by James M

Posted

And here we have 2cm of a slushy icy mess, Fair to say the Macc - Wigan game is still on tomorrow.

How Crewe has trumped Macc in this cold spell I'll never know. It never happens like that.

Posted

Interesting the local differences, parts of Oldham lower down than me have had proper snow all the way through and are getting on for 6/7 inches judging by the facebook pictures! Its all very slushy now here, difficult to walk in, theres about 3 inches of slop!

pure deep dry snow here. who'd have expected such a difference?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes, its decent here but nowhere near 6 inches, falling now though.

Certainly is a very confused picture across the region this evening with precipitation intensities managing to cool any warmer layers above in some places but not in others.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I have no idea how deep it is, eight inches comfortably and two foot drifts in my garden alone.

This is now classed as a dumping!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

pure deep dry snow here. who'd have expected such a difference?

I know! very strange, maybe local topography having something to do with mixing of the air? I havent a clue!! haha

Posted

How Crewe has trumped Macc in this cold spell I'll never know. It never happens like that.

I'm hoping the touted next cold spell in Feb is a return to normal form for us lol

Posted

This is beyond belief, how the Met Office issued an Amber Warning I will not know. I wonder if all this extra snow will give the Pennines an extra long covering during the upcoming less cold period?

Certainly will require a lot of melting.

The record for my part of the Pennines (Saddleworth Moor) is December 17th 2009 - 6th April 2010, of course this probably won't be broken for years ... this year is perhaps in for a covering of around a decent 5 weeks in total.

Being a bit further north and higher will help you,but here what could be a decent fall is being eroded by some fairly rapid thawing, the snow is still coming down but water is pouring off the roofs into the gutters.

Edited by weather eater

Posted

I know! very strange, maybe local topography having something to do with mixing of the air? I havent a clue!! haha

nor me. rain been reported locally but none stop heavy pure snow here. most odd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

Temperatures on the rise it was 0.3 an hour ago, now 0.5.. snow cover is sliding off the sides of cars too.

Posted

Those unlucky sods in Stockport will be wondering what all the fuss is about! :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/cheshire/trafficcameras/highwaysagency/39010/1359157725794/image