Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 23rd January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Just got home from Son's Rugby presentation night , had to leave my car about 1/2 a mile from home as traffic couldn't get up the hill, i will post some pictures tomorrow , but i have to say this is the heaviest and deepest snow ,that i have witnessed since i moved here 24 years ago, we have about 4 inches of the stuff at the moment , and the main roads are virtually impassable

Wigan area looks to have been hit the hardest from what I have seen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, by-by snow.

I remember feb 2007 it was an all rain event here, as most are.

Yep I was out on a uni field trip studying Chester and there it was sleet. Drove a little bit further in towards Tarporley (on the coach) and it readily changed to snow. Got back to the uni campus in Stoke and it was decidely dicey. Struggled up a hill on foot to the bus station where it was coming down thicker and faster than I'd ever seen before. Luckily I managed to get on the last bus before they were all cancelled, however the trip back to Crewe was carnage- absolute chaos. Cars sliding down side roads hitting traffic on the main roads and I was stuck stationary on the bus for 2 hours before we got moving again. What an evening!

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

She was very lucky her Audi a5 just totally lost control on the carriage way and i seen her hit the barrier at about 40/45Mph i nearly crashed into her as she span round and started sliding back down the motorway! But i can honestly say Hyde has had a battering tonight with flakes size of golf balls and i really hope theres more to come

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Ripponden rd really

Yes, even the lowest point there is 700ft and is very high the further North you go. anyway decent cold spell, heres to a reload and we will do it all again hopefully in feb!

Posted

Must say this cold spell has delivered in the end maybe not very low temps but a few snowy spells especially tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Must say this cold spell has delivered in the end maybe not very low temps but a few snowy spells especially tonight

here here

Posted

Yep I was out on a uni field trip studying Chester and there it was sleet. Drove a little bit further in towards Tarporley (on the coach) and it readily changed to snow. Got back to the uni campus in Stoke and it was decidely dicey. Struggled up a hill on foot to the bus station where it was coming down thicker and faster than I'd ever seen before. Luckily I managed to get on the last bus before they were all cancelled, however the trip back to Crewe was carnage- absolute chaos. Cars sliding down side roads hitting traffic on the main roads and I was stuck stationary on the bus for 2 hours before we got moving again. What an evening!

Isn't the train much quicker & easier from the uni CC? Anyhoo, snow much lighter now & may well turn back to sleet, but we've easily added 5 inches in the last few hours. I expected a decent fall, but when it turned sleety for half an hour earlier, I certainly didn't expect what has followed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Im sure this snow has mood cycles!! Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Wigan area looks to have been hit the hardest from what I have seen

I was in 2 minds whether to actually go tonight , but thought i should (i am team manager after all),, i'm glad i did , but driving home was quite an experience, especially as i got nearer home as i live on a hill...total chaos everywhere, we have definitely been hit hard tonight , shame it won't stick around for a while though

Posted

Crickey that is getting up near 2010. Saw more on The peaks last week but even still that is impressive

Around 5cm or so melted during this week after we had that big snowfall. We are doing well considering I'm really at 186M ASL in the suburbs.

Posted

That picture on the right looks like Broughton Jn32 would tie in with the snow near to me.

But it isnt .... look at the cams for Jn 31-32 and youll see what ive got to put up with tease.gif

I see what you mean, in other words a snow free zone, have you thought about a change of name, something like total white out or something along those lines, cause you know sometimes people, events etc seem to fall into line with the label. An ex of mine used to have a cat that she decided to call Grebo and he turned out to be a right evil git, see name association works every time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Been raining for 1 hour now but just some wet snow has just started mixing

Posted

Around 5cm or so melted during this week after we had that big snowfall. We are doing well considering I'm really at 186M ASL in the suburbs.

That's pretty normal for the higher W and N suburbs of Leeds tbh. Here at 185m it is chucking it down with snow. I guess 20+cm on the grass / patio now.

Must be 10+cm fallen already tonight and 14 days of snow cover already.

Edited by NW Leeds Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

This is beyond belief, how the Met Office issued an Amber Warning I will not know. I wonder if all this extra snow will give the Pennines an extra long covering during the upcoming less cold period?

Certainly will require a lot of melting.

The record for my part of the Pennines (Saddleworth Moor) is December 17th 2009 - 6th April 2010, of course this probably won't be broken for years ... this year is perhaps in for a covering of around a decent 5 weeks in total.

Been following this all day so thought I'd open up my posting account with a pic of BOLTON. Certainly rivalling Dec 2010 now, it's hard to judge because this fall isn't giving the accumulations on telephone wires etc like last time due to the wind, but I think its close. This was taken an hour ago, and it's still falling fairly heavily... put it this way, I would put tomorrow's Bolton vs Everton FA CUP match under severe doubt

20130125221707.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

The snow has stopped falling now - got the not so lovely sound of drip, drip, drip.. Tend to think my 5 inch covering will be somewhat thinner in the morning..