Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 23rd January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

I'm very low asl and have about 4 inches now.

Not too bad ,about the same here and still snowing though as some have mentioned on here the snow is very wet and almost slushy depite still looking white. Edited by greybing

Someone arriving in the NW of England in 48 hours time from a different country wouldn't believe what has happened here tonight ...

Shame it won't last.

Here, everything is becoming extremely marginal and local as we have constant changing between rain/snow, any rain not doing much to thaw anything though of course due to the ground temperatures;

Snow is mostly wet but of course is sticking on the already covered ground.

And yet still seems to be just snow down at 20 metres asl in north Cheshire, very unusual evening.

Posted

If you go onto google earth (not the internet browser plug in, but the actual program) and hover your mouse over your location, it should tell you in the bottom right your exact meters above sea level.

failing that I'm sure there are many internet sites that can tell you

Cool ,thanks for that info. Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Just a few piccies of tonight's snow in Wigan ,( ignore the time ,it's still on Egypt time from November), the lad in the pictures is my 15 yr old son

post-2070-0-14344700-1359158563_thumb.jppost-2070-0-65548000-1359158571_thumb.jppost-2070-0-28666900-1359158581_thumb.jp

These were taken after we'd left the car about 1/2 a mile away and walked home due to the impassable roads ..and yes that is a snow shovel , we took it with us just in case

Edited by Spurry

Just driven on the back route to Haslingden and rawtenstal never seen so much snow in my life way more than 2010 it was up to my knees over the tops, got back toblackburn and big fat slop of slush and rain with the odd flake 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

Posted

Amazing stuff tonight - maybe because the snow had a 'wetter' element to it (instead of powdery) it meant better stickability and heavier precipitation - must have about 7-8 inches here too - not quite the foot of snow of 2010 but the last week of two major snowfalls have leapt into 2nd heaviest snowfall from memory for me.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

Seems to be melting quite quick here almost as quick that the drips are sounding like rain! most of the sides of cars are now snow free. Also some lazy flakes of snow have started to fall again..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Have you got any ideas, on why some areas that are usually not favoured so well in marginal conditions, have fared a lot better than some places that are usually good, Macc and Stockport for example?

A lot of variables. Local topography, precipitation intensity to name but two.

We had sleet and ice pellets for most of the day until that almost torrential (red on the netweather radar) precipitation passed over and changed all precipitation to snow. Big fat flakes that covered everywhere very quickly.

In marginal situations like this there will be pockets where the atmosphere is less conducive to snow.....marginally higher dew points, temps etc which make all the difference in situations like this.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

If you go onto google earth (not the internet browser plug in, but the actual program) and hover your mouse over your location, it should tell you in the bottom right your exact meters above sea level.

Thank you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

And yet still seems to be just snow down at 20 metres asl in north Cheshire, very unusual evening.

Hehe yes extremely unusual ,of course though tonights developments and distinguish between rain and snow isn't simply ground temperature readings, but also what's happening in the air above us ... and of course since in the air above us there is no terrain or hills ... it just delivers whatever the temperature is up there :p

Posted

Looks like everywhere apart from Wythenshawe did well this winter. Had hardly 3cm tonight of which most fell before 7pm. Roll on next winter. Days are lightening up so spring to enjoy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Amazing stuff tonight - maybe because the snow had a 'wetter' element to it (instead of powdery) it meant better stickability and heavier precipitation - must have about 7-8 inches here too - not quite the foot of snow of 2010 but the last week or so major snowfalls have gone into 2nd heaviest snowfall from memory for me.

yeah been a good one. two weeks of snow cover here. lovely.

Posted

Just a few piccies of tonight's snow in Wigan ,( ignore the time ,it's still on Egypt time from November), the lad in the pictures is my 15 yr old son

post-2070-0-14344700-1359158563_thumb.jppost-2070-0-65548000-1359158571_thumb.jppost-2070-0-28666900-1359158581_thumb.jp

These were taken after we'd left the car about 1/2 a mile away and walked home due to the impassable roads ..and yes that is a snow shovel , we took it with us just in case

Cool,pretty thick there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Fantastic photos!! Wow not beenn that deep here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Thick heavy snow still falling how long I'd left in this? Getting tired now lol.

few hours yet

Posted

Immense that.

Posted

Only got ipad will have a look tomorrow :)

Posted

Can anyone tell me what has happened to the wind? I was expecting a good breeze tonight (similar to during the day) but when the snow came it just stopped and it's been calm now for a few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Fgs bbc news shut up about Eypyt will ya, want to see the weather stories!

Posted

Can anyone tell me what has happened to the wind? I was expecting a good breeze tonight (similar to during the day) but when the snow came it just stopped and it's been calm now for a few hours.

I'm not sure but I do recal the forecast being for dropping winds from the evening onwards.Getting heavy snow here again...tempe dropping here,1.4c Edited by greybing