Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

Sunday/Monday not looking too good now at all, especially for me anyway. Like every other slider it showed great potential but ultimately a disappointing let down. No sign of significant cold playing part in our weather now for the foreseeable. All in all a great winter for model watching and dreaming, only getting the odd flirt with cold.search.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

Met office are a complete joke. They have dropped their snow warning for NI tomorrow and replaced it with a rain warning. My complaint isn't that they have dropped the snow warning it is why did they issue the snow warning to begin with when there was such high high uncertainty.

The debarkle of Thursday too adds to their poor forecasting,they issued a flash snow warning on Thursday morning for the whole of NI they dropped it two hours later when only rain was recorded.

I used to hold them in such high esteem now I couldn't dig a whole deep enough to throw them in to.

Posted

Guys forget about searching for cold, the days are getting longer and unless u live in Carryduff the winter has been disappointing. lets search for warmer dryer weather instead! We'll all get annoyed together this time!!

Posted

I'm done searching for cold this winter. Its been an extremely long six months. The first signs of cold that was never gonna materialise started to show last September and kept us on the wild goose chase ever since! I'm not saying winters over and some will probably see some snow before winters out but i'm looking forward to some warmer wearher now. I remember the end of March last year hit 23 degrees but like any other year summer just came to early! In last years case....far to early!!

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

Lots of rain forecast anyway, though it's not looking heavy yet here, and we are more or less in the middle of the wet zone. Still though, it's going to make it difficult for the big game today if this keeps up til then. As regards the "wintery mix" issue for tonight and tomorrow, this situation never looked great for snow at all, I was very surprised at how much it was getting talked up.

The reason I say this is that most if not all models showed a warmer sector pushing east over Britain as the main band of rain arrived/developed over here, and then this would be the sector, mixed with somewhat colder air, which would start to pull back west, and supposedly somehow draw in much colder air, even though there would never be that air there at all - not in situ over Britain, neither over the near continent.

And furthermore due to this lack of convergence of airmasses with wide enough temperature differences, the precipitation in the main band is not nearly as intense as was being modelled either. So where & what did those erroneous forecasts eminate from? Should be plenty of snow in the hills later though with road conditions safe enough to get up there too except for early mornings, from tomorrow. If you're near any (proper) hills. Or not busy on early weekdays!

Further out, because there is so little agreement on any clear pattern, I'll take it that we will continue to get a no-man's land mix of chilly spells and milder spells, pretty much what we have had all winter. Also even if the blocking to our northeast did start to move west enough to bring an easterly, there's no real cold over Europe to take advantage of it. For those that want real cold.

If we are to get a decent fall of snow here, it will be the northerly that so often comes in late feb/beginning of march, or something like it. Though that often comes along after winters where there has been little or no northern blocking in jan/feb.

Edited by Altohumorous

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

good morning .. here an inch of rain

and a foot of snow in northern Spain

little winter to our north and east ..

to our south and west a glorious feast .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost

Has everyone drowned .. or is Ireland playing today ?

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

What a miserable dull wet day. Max temp 7.4c current temp 4.9c.

Even the weather was againest the irish rugby team today as the conditions no doubt suited the english more so then us sad.png

Posted

Just back from the match how depressing hearing "swing low sweet chariot" time after time and not once did the Irish fans get going. Weather definitely didn't help Ireland today!!

Posted

quiet in here! was up for a walk in sliabh beaghs today and was amazed to find some snow drifts still clinging on. one was about a foot deep and a few metres in length. could be the last snow i see for a while judging by the forcast.

Edited by BIG LAD

Posted

... no snow for 2 weeks based on charts... winter is over for ireland now.... what winter? had one flurry! well done to carryduff chap , apart from carryduff no snow in ireland in winter 2012 /2013

see you all next December for

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Another dull day,rather chilly max temp 4.2c. Dry until this evening with some light rain,currently light rain falling temp 2.9c sums up the winter really just not bloody cold enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

See some snow showing on the Net Weather radar down the center of the North, Surprised no one has mentioned seeing some flakes

Edited by John Cox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

Another posible cold easterly showing now on UKMO and ECM - how many is that this winter and most have little or nothing to show for it

The only proper snow I saw this winter was last week..........on a westerly wind

I hope that after so many dissapointments we can have at least one or two days of proper snow before winter is out...................however I must stress the word hope...................

EWS

Posted

This is the 4th time this winter alone... I won't be getting my hopes up until T-72 or maybe T-96...

I'm model watching a long time now, and this winter has promised so much, yet delivered so little. So much so, in fact I'd say it's the biggest tease ever! I left school and started college in 1990, and became interested in them then, so that's a fair bit of water under the bridge!