Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

yeah ECM and UKMO look good for snow for Dublin at the very end of the weekend, monday and maybe tuesday. Still a long way off. lets hope for upgrades.. be another disaster if we went another year without seeing any lying snow in Dublin :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

Lovely covering of snow here this morning and we had further heavy snow showers up until 10am - sun has been out now for past hour or more and snow is slowly melting - was nice while it lasted...............lets hope that the weekend brings another chance for more snow as the ECM and UKMO charts suggest

EWS

Posted

I would say a further 2cms of snow has fallen in the last 40 minutes in Ballyclare! Nice to see even though we have roughly a cm over night in Derry and the icing on the cake was my first ever thunder snow!!

Posted

Well that was brief!! Could be it for the year. Getting to the end I think. Apart from a few more more brief topplers. Can't see anything sustained before spring in a couple of weeks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Well that was brief!! Could be it for the year. Getting to the end I think. Apart from a few more more brief topplers. Can't see anything sustained before spring in a couple of weeks

Early doors yet, Still 23 days left. I'm sure they are still pondering over the weekends Easterly too.

Posted

Looking at the sliders progged on the UKMET and ECM, they are very similar to the snowfest up here from two weeks ago. So Sunday/Monday might be of interest.

Longer term could be good as well if the Scandi High can ridge towards Greenland.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Got up to 6.6c here today,some rain during the early afternoon mostly dry after that. Currently dry ,cloudy and rather windy still with some strong gusts,temp 5.3c

Posted

well ive never seen so much snow melt so quick! only bits left now. was so nice while it lasted.

Posted

well ive never seen so much snow melt so quick! only bits left now. was so nice while it lasted.

Even more amazing in that the milder air came from the North!

Surface temp already down to 3oC and dew point -0.5oC so hoping for a light covering in the morning if any showers make it this far.

ECM and UKMET still keen on the disrupting shortwave moving south east over Ireland on Sunday with colder air moving in on the North East side of the system.

http://cdn.nwstatic..../ecmslp.120.png

Still a lot can change but that could provide a few surprises.

The GFS to be ignored as completely useless.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

Definitely very strange today! One minute very heavy snow then the next thing it was lashing with rain all the snow melted away! Hopefully a few more surprises to come before winters out!

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Thanks to the WEST wind I had my first proper winter wonderland morning since 2010. Then I went to Dungannon and before I knew what had happened the rain came from the North and washed it all away , but hey , the child inside was smiling .. and still is .....

All winter they cry ' from the east it must blow ' ..

only from there will we get any snow !

but when the coldest place in the hemisphere's west

a stiff wind from there has got to be best ..

be bard

Posted

Fergieweather just posted Re potential for disruptive snow in eastern NI, Sunday into Monday!!

Good to have the Met Office back up my thoughts.

:-)

Posted

Fergieweather just posted Re potential for disruptive snow in eastern NI, Sunday into Monday!!

Good to have the Met Office back up my thoughts.

:-)

Interesting, I haven't delved into the next proper snap yet, but will definitely take interest now in the weekends potential.

Posted

I liked the meto modified precip charts for Sunday-Monday that Fergie posted. Might be if that was close to reality, that we'd get some snow for the first time this winter...

The rest of the country had had some, why can't we???

Or maybe I should try reverse psychology... I don't want any snow!

Posted

I liked the meto modified precip charts for Sunday-Monday that Fergie posted. Might be if that was close to reality, that we'd get some snow for the first time this winter...

The rest of the country had had some, why can't we???

Or maybe I should try reverse psychology... I don't want any snow!

Did you's see that Teits wasn't too happy about the precipitation and snow risk being further West? He may be right with the Eastern bias, but if Meto knew their models had a bias like that they'd surely call it themselves.

Edited by The watcher

Posted

That's why I trust the meto modified charts more than the NWP watcher. I think historically it has been shown, human input is too important... That's why the understanding the likes of Steve M has for model's inherent behaviours are crucial in how things will pan out. While he's quite dramatic with the 'BOOM' etc, he really has a great understanding of model behaviours.

That said, there will be more changes on this, some good (hopefully for us) and some bad... Plenty of time left! But there is that huge word still at play here: Potential!!!