Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Im not too excited looking at the model output this morning,yes there is some potential but potential seems to be the by- word this winter. I am not getting my hopes up for the weekend or next week. ATM I think most of the precip for ireland at the weekend will just be rain/wintry mix. Looks like a better chance of something more wintry in the early days of next week but its too far out. Just wish we could get some good northern blocking,no doubt that will be back in full swing come the summer knowing our luck.

Posted

I know what you mean Sun dog, for the love of God surely we won't have another bad summer

I suppose it cant be any worse then last yr,i admit im not a huge fan of hot weather but i would like summer to feel summerlike. Cutting the grass last summer in my wellies on numerous occasions felt very weird to say the least,the ground being completly sodden.

Posted

Still much to be resolved regarding exactly where the slider tracks and its orientation.

Will have a much better idea after the 12z.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

Still much to be resolved regarding exactly where the slider tracks and its orientation.

Will have a much better idea after the 12z.

Even then I'm not so sure. This could be a T-36/48 hours event. 50/100 miles either direction making all the difference...

Posted

Ok guys. Heading down to dublin tonight to get my flight to boston in the morn then onto chicago next week. Hope u guys get your snow while I'm away more than the southerners in England !! That would make my day. I'm hoping for a bit of snow when I'm away but we will see. Knowing my look there will be a heat wave !!

Posted

Cheers mate!! Looking forward to beer and a tour of Fenway park being a huge Red Sox fan!! Hope u guys get loads of snow here !

Posted

Unfortunately it looks like Ireland will miss out later in the weekend, Cold shunted East and Ireland trapped in the mild sector. Maybe a little bit of snow for a while on Tuesday but that's about it.

Longer term and we wait and wait for the promised land of proper Greenland height rises.

Posted

Unfortunately it looks like Ireland will miss out later in the weekend, Cold shunted East and Ireland trapped in the mild sector. Maybe a little bit of snow for a while on Tuesday but that's about it.

Longer term and we wait and wait for the promised land of proper Greenland height rises.

I fear by the time they show up it will be all too late. Well looks like we now have to wait and see what the second half of the month will do, real last chance saloon stuff. I never thought last autumn it would come to this,there seemed to be much potential (that word again lol) for a decent winter.

Posted

1 run and the world is ending. I'm not having a dig but it's only Wednesday and you are talking about next Sunday and Tuesday. Slight shifts could change everything again. MS you know alot more than me and should know not to look that far out. The way things have been this winter then we shouldn't look any further than 48hrs! Take the last cold spell from the NW/W, areas like Derry normally do best from these setups but it ended up being the Newry/Warrenpoint area that got the most snow!! I hate an Easterly setup and always have! Give me a northerly toppler any day!

Posted

Well i would not give up on what might happen over the weekend and into the early days of next week and i have not given up on this winter just yet but i think this winter has only ever got going in fits and starts and has flattered to decieve so i am a bit pessimistic now at this stage.

Posted

You have to remember that some of the heaviest snow can occur in March/April when the transition into spring takes place. Maybe not the prolonged deep cold that we are all craving after 2010 but we do live in Ireland and unfortunately our winters are normally made up of short cold blasts and more than often these spells do be on the marginal side!

Edited by ronan

Posted

True we can get some snow well into spring but i find spring snow a bit frustrating as it doesn last too long (not that snow lasts long in this country anyway of course) and i think what might have been if it was winter. It may be Ireland we live in but i still think that even for here its been a pretty poor winter,not that i expect Dec 2010 style freeze ups every yr but something more substantial to what weve seen this winter so far. The most disappiointing thing about this winter is the lack of northern blocking,if you get good blocking in place in winter you often dont have to worry about marginality and the greater the chance of course of a more sustained spell.

Posted

It is the GFS and needs back up by the other models as it hasn't be performing to well lately. If this is still showing Saturday/Sunday then i will get excited. Only posted these for some eye candy! good.gif

Posted

Strange one that. I would have thought over 800 feet or so maybe, but not enough for a warning.

Looking into the weekend and eastern parts may catch something yet.