Scotland Regional Discussion 14th February 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

easterly set up all good for scotland.

Posted

Apart from the N, NE, NW and SW blum.gif

And any coastal or low-lying areas of the E & SE. ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

easterly set up all good for scotland.

Something tells me that we'll miss out up here again! Ach, well, spring knocking on the door, very mild, birdies chantin', daffs pushin' through. I don't need my torch in the morning when I'm feeding the chooks and dooks. So, since we've had a really crap winter up here, can we at least have a lovely spring and summer? Please? Pretty please?

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted

Winter here has been slightly on the cold side with some decent snow. The only thing missing really is proper frost.

Awwwww nawwwww! We're going to die on our NW birthday, 8 years old for both of us today :rofl:

At least in the last eight years this place has grown up and doesn't descend into a glorified version of the old Snow Watch on the BBC website; anyone else remember that??!!

Posted

Awwwww nawwwww! We're going to die on our NW birthday, 8 years old for both of us today rofl.gif

At least in the last eight years this place has grown up and doesn't descend into a glorified version of the old Snow Watch on the BBC website; anyone else remember that??!!

And we celebrate the same the morn as well.

Snow Watch!!! that was the MT in full Bartlett mode 24\7.

And we celebrate the same the morn as well.

Snow Watch!!! that was the MT in full Bartlett mode 24\7.

Forgot about that second bit!! Mrs Catch isn't buying the fact that it is my alternative birthday today, but it was worth a try.

Aye, Snow Watch was awful (Bill Farkin for fark's sake??!!), perhaps not so awful if you were running a website called NetWeather which provided a haven for a lot of us :good:

Posted

Happy netw birthday cheggars and cmd! Now will someone please have a word with the models and send some cold snowy weather up to the north east the rainy miserable weather is making me depressed

Happy netw birthday cheggars and cmd! Now will someone please have a word with the models and send some cold snowy weather up to the north east the rainy miserable weather is making me depressed

I'm out on that one; I still have a restraining order from the last time I had a word with some models ;)

Posted

Well what is the old saying let the cold come in and the rest will take care of itself. Imagine we had a South Westerly set up with low after low of Atlantic mush that's worse is it not. My main reasoning was to maintain the general cold and keep the snow on the mountains rather than destructive rain bands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

GFS ironically now looks better than the ECM or UKMO. I agree that ESE is not ideal, but there is still time for the models to back things a little further west and bring in both a better cold pool and a more northerly element to the flow.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Forgot about that second bit!! Mrs Catch isn't buying the fact that it is my alternative birthday today, but it was worth a try.

Aye, Snow Watch was awful (Bill Farkin for fark's sake??!!), perhaps not so awful if you were running a website called NetWeather which provided a haven for a lot of us good.gif

Aye Catch, Bill's Greebs could predict the weather though ehwhistling.gif

Big Innes

GFS ironically now looks better than the ECM or UKMO. I agree that ESE is not ideal, but there is still time for the models to back things a little further west and bring in both a better cold pool and a more northerly element to the flow.

The 06z ensembles look fairly solid, the following shows the sea level pressure mean and spread at +168hrs:

post-2844-0-95519900-1360932907_thumb.pn

No need for an ironing board on the 850s yet (BMW on standby), would be nice to see a bigger dipper develop before the Morphy Richards is applied:

post-2844-0-34732400-1360933115_thumb.pn

Aye Catch, Bill's Greebs could predict the weather though ehwhistling.gif

Big Innes

I always used to wonder what Greeb pie would taste like blum.gif

ECM ensembles surface T London. Cauld ETA end o next week evident.

The Met-O outlook:

UK Outlook for Wednesday 20 Feb 2013 to Friday 1 Mar 2013:

Conditions during the second half of next week and at the weekend are expected to be cold, rather cloudy and breezy. Plenty of dry weather about then, though cloud is likely to be to thick enough for some mainly light wintry showers over eastern parts of the UK. The best of any brighter weather should be to the west, though here a little light rain is possible to begin with on Wednesday. Late next week and into the weekend some more persistent rain or snow may reach some southern parts of the UK. Looking ahead to the last week of February, conditions likely to be largely dry but on the cold side at first but there are some signs of more unsettled weather in the south perhaps slowly spreading northwards.

UK Outlook for Saturday 2 Mar 2013 to Saturday 16 Mar 2013:

Many areas are likely to be colder than average through much of this period, perhaps more especially across the eastern side of the UK. Nights are then often also likely to be frosty. Also some signs of conditions turning a little more unsettled during the early part of this forecast period, perhaps with a slightly greater than average chance of snow. Generally, however, no strong signals regarding precipitation and taking the period as a whole some areas of the UK will probably end up a little drier than usual for the time of year. Finally, towards the middle of March temperatures may recover close to the seasonal norm.

Issued at: 0400 on Fri 15 Feb 2013

Mebbes frost, mebbes snaw. No hint of "at least it will be mild". Everything starting to look quite good, although after previous experiences this winter can we stick with "it looks awwrightish"?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Been really nice up here, calm, clear, a wee touch of sun. Spring defo on the way. Nice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

GFS 12Z is a very good run for eastern Scotland into the central belt - E or ESE winds ( big difference is anticyclonic rather than cyclonic driven so more likely to be cold at the surface) with uppers heading towards -10C at times.

Posted

GFS 12Z is a very good run for eastern Scotland into the central belt - E or ESE winds ( big difference is anticyclonic rather than cyclonic driven so more likely to be cold at the surface) with uppers heading towards -10C at times.

good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Lovely day. Max 10.9C with snow still on the grass where in the shade.