Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 14th February 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted

The weather was so good today I even got a bit done in the garden.Seemed odd not to be dressed up in thermals and waterproofs.

The winter on the whole has been cold. and continues the trend of the last 6 years

.Like the previous 5 winters have been feeding wintering sheep through the winter again since the begining of January all grass growth more or less stopped

Significant snowfalls at least on the hills all around again (Witness all the tragic avalanches)

Even our old drafty farmhouse was more pleasant to be in today.

Daaffodils still just peeping above the soil surface right on cue and will not be flowering in February as in the previous two decades decades prior to 2007/2008 or so.

Will become a very long winter if the cold returns next week and hangs around. March when I was kid on the farm in the sixties was always a winter month in my eyes with occasional big snowfalls but usually dryer with a lot of N and E winds and frosty nights. So the models are just predicting a good old fashioned Scottish spring.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Well, tomorrow at 6am I move for 6 days from the south-east thread to you lovely chaps and chappesses, as I'm visiting Aviemore in search of snow with the family. Ironically the return to the south-east on Friday looks pretty snowy:) Really looking forward to the holiday and some good quality walking in the Cairngorms.

Posted

Well, not a lot too write hame about today, low dull cloud for the most part.

Welcome to oor little corner ReefSeeker, hope you have a great time in Aviemore, but be safe when out walking in the Cairngorms.

Well, tomorrow at 6am I move for 6 days from the south-east thread to you lovely chaps and chappesses, as I'm visiting Aviemore in search of snow with the family. Ironically the return to the south-east on Friday looks pretty snowy:) Really looking forward to the holiday and some good quality walking in the Cairngorms.

You're always welcome both in the thread and on the ground; photos from your walks to follow? :)

Cracking sunrise here this morning, over the fields. After 35 years on this earth you would assume that I had learnt not to look at the sun for too long, but no, I now have four big orange globs hovering in my eyeballs fool.gif

Butterfly wings look to be flapping in the wrong direction for now, but this can and will change over time :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Sun has broken through, hooray. Temperature now 6.3C, the same as yesterday's max. on what was a dreich day.

Conjunction between the Moon and Jupiter tomorrow night (the moon will pass within 1 Degree of Jupiter). They are both in Taurus the bull in the SW evening sky. Lets hope it stays clear.

http://earthsky.org/tonight/moon-and-jupiter-pair-up-again-night-of-february-18

Posted

9.1c here and partly sunny. Overnight low was 6c. Plenty of insects around the outside light at 1am this morning, perhaps just the mild night but we've only seen 3 air frosts here in 2013...chance of a fourth tonight perhaps?

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

2821005434_805f31c5d4_z.jpg11-welcome-scotland.jpg

While you might not have snow in Aviemore town centre, a wee walk up into the cairgorms and you'll be able to make as many snow angels as you want!

http://www.winterhig...ngorm-mountain/

ptarmigan.jpeg

Edited by scottish skier

There is still a strong signal for blocking way out on the GFS, this is the 06z at +174hrs:

post-2844-0-94726400-1361097648_thumb.pn

We still need to see a shift on this anywhere between west and north, but it's a very far cry from raging SWly winds and winter most certainly is not over.

Edit: By +192hrs the blocking signal is stronger:

post-2844-0-40773400-1361097845_thumb.pn

Edit 2: The ECM is showing a strong signal for blocking but keeps this over Scandinavia, this by +240hrs:

post-2844-0-79237600-1361098085_thumb.gi

The end result on the ground could be a world of difference, so a long way to go before we start writing winter off and sobbing into our keyboards about it "being too dry".

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Beautiful day here , completely still, blue skies, bright and warm.

Off for a wander to the park to tire out the kids and feed some ducks !

Perfect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

With max. temps. of 2-3C by Thursday-Friday and the Sun moving ever closer to the The Tropic of Cancer, I am not expecting anything from an Easterly snow shower regime no matter how good. We need to be realistic from now on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Utterly wonderful day out there today. Perfect log-splitting weather......which I've been doing all morning :)

These cool, still, sunny days where the sun actually has warmth are glorious. I'd be quite happy with 7C and sunshine in summer rather than 18C and greyness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! Blue skies and sunshine and a very strong wind here today. May have to organise a rescue mission for my washing later. Looks to stay clear and cold all week......YAY! yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Gorgeous day here today! Sunshine, eight degrees, positively tropical lol!

Windows open wide, washn oot, hoose gettn a gud airing lol!

Plenty planes flying overhead from fife airport, all in all a perfect, nearly spring like day!

Posted

Smashing day here too. Sunny and spring-like. More, please!

Posted

Echoing the comments about how gorgeous the weather has been today - was walking around in shorts and t-shirt earlier and the sun and stillness made it feel far warmer than 9c (which is already rather mild!).

Posted

Maximum 10.6C today. High cloud in situ which makes poor seeing for astronomical observation unfortunately.

Posted

What a totally different day today as quite a few of you have mentioned. More or less a dawn to dusk sun day! Still quite bright even now. Might not last beyond tomorrow/tuesday but it's a start!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A glorious day here today. Took PG junior to the park in the sunshine and it was a grand afternoon. Max of 8.1ºC. Looking forward to winter's last hurrah later on this week.

Posted

Hello fellow brethren of this United Kingdom (cheeky poke at any independentists!)

Looking at the forecast I think it's time for my annual trip to the Highlands, some rare sunshine for hiking and photography.

Can't decide between Torridon or Skye, can anyone tell me what snow conditions are like, is there a snowline or is it just patchy now? Any snow left on the Black Cuillin, would love to get that classic sunrise/sunset shot from Elgol.

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Superb ISS pass this evening, struggled to find it for a moment and then eventually caught sight of movement, 2 weather satellites following each other on a southbound trajectory. Then just on cue the ISS crosses the path of the weather sats. and completes its arc across the UK. Jupiter looking good this evening and my old favourite Betelgeuse a fine red glow.

Another good reason to love the HP cell over the UK which according to ECM will still be here at Day 10 !

post-7292-0-43746100-1361127819_thumb.gi

For twitter folks https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield has some great updates with continued pics of the blue marble.

This thunder cloud above the canopy over Malaysia is a good example.

post-7292-0-00064100-1361128063_thumb.jp

And this of the UK from London North including aurora. Beautiful.

post-7292-0-63507700-1361128209_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Cracking day today, kids been oot all day, so well tired now, as NL did yesterday, washing oot on the line. Tomorrow and Tuesday should be very similar to today as well.

Sunset with Campsies in the background....

post-2849-0-51936600-1361129300_thumb.jp

On another note... more pictures of the Russian Meteor shower....

post-2849-0-81778700-1361129299_thumb.jprofl.gif

Edited by Cheggers