Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 14th February 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Thanks for that, hard to find reports from the North. Be good to hear your account of snow conditions in Glencoe, should be a cracking day for some boarding!

Didn't mean to offend with my "cheeky poke", all in good jest! Can fully appreciate the desire to go independent. Maybe you could extend the border a little further south.

Will be keeping an eye on posts from your resident model interpreters, your forecasts are much more relevant to here than the South East biased model thread. good.gif

Well the pistes were perfect today, if you like climbing solid neve that is!

Any snow you find in gullys will be perfect for climbing I would say, not too much ice around at the moment but expect this to change rapidly in the next few days.

Could not work out what was going on with temps today. -4 at home when I got up, varied between that and -1 all the way up then about 0 in the car park at 300m. Ticket office said it was plus 5 on the hill so should soften quickly - it didn't! I don't reckon it got above 0 other than the area just around the top of the access chair ~600m, snow was all solid and showed no signs of softening.

It did feel very pleasant though so maybe just low dewpoints preventing thaw. I was just a tad confused as T850's are modelled at +4/5 all day so inversion expected but didn't seem to happen. Was up to 7 when I got back to the car and similar all the way home other than in a couple of frost hollows. A stonger SE breeze than expected too, which was a bit raw.

Felt very spoit being grumpy about snow on such a beautiful bluebird day.

Who'd want to live in Scotland eh?

post-8494-0-49212600-1361205961_thumb.jp

FAX charts and latest GFS seem to be suggesting that retrogression towards Greenland is not off the table...it didn't take me long to write off my write off of the next spell of weather :huh:

Posted

Well the pistes were perfect today, if you like climbing solid neve that is!

Any snow you find in gullys will be perfect for climbing I would say, not too much ice around at the moment but expect this to change rapidly in the next few days.

Could not work out what was going on with temps today. -4 at home when I got up, varied between that and -1 all the way up then about 0 in the car park at 300m. Ticket office said it was plus 5 on the hill so should soften quickly - it didn't! I don't reckon it got above 0 other than the area just around the top of the access chair ~600m, snow was all solid and showed no signs of softening.

It did feel very pleasant though so maybe just low dewpoints preventing thaw. I was just a tad confused as T850's are modelled at +4/5 all day so inversion expected but didn't seem to happen. Was up to 7 when I got back to the car and similar all the way home other than in a couple of frost hollows. A stonger SE breeze than expected too, which was a bit raw.

Felt very spoit being grumpy about snow on such a beautiful bluebird day.

Who'd want to live in Scotland eh?

post-8494-0-49212600-1361205961_thumb.jp

Great stuff! Looks like there's still a decent cover. Ice axe and crampons are in the bag so no problem with neve, much easier than wading though knee deep powder.

Posted

Just missed my fourth air frost of 2013 this morning - minimum was +0.4c. Another chance tonight with the temp already down to 2.2c.

Great to see everyone is enjoying the sunshine - another lovely day here in NE Fife!

Posted

Absolutely stunning day but not so mild with a top temperature of 7c,unbroken sunshine no wind and a frosty sunset.post-2744-0-51166900-1361216387_thumb.jp Been busy clearing trimmed branches from trees at the edge of some fields all day.

Couple of photos showing the trig point to the west of the farm with some wild livestock grazing the edge of the stubble field.post-2744-0-18105600-1361216407_thumb.jppost-2744-0-96259300-1361216426_thumb.jp

Currently -1c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Had a pleasant morning up in Aberdeenshire in bright sunshine that became hazy towards lunchtime. Fair here in Dundee too with a frost early and again this evening. Min was -2.1C. Max 5.1C but felt warmer in the sun. Edit. A bit surprised by this reading as places nearby were up to 3C warmer for the max today.Currently 0.5C so looks like another air frost tonight.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Oh dear sums up the north coast weather today - we got a glimpse of blue at dawn the the fog came in and stayed all day, temp stayed close to freezing all day. 10mph driving much of the day. Yeeuuurk. Hope that it farx orff overnight but still thick out just now.

Posted

After the sun comes the cold! Temperatures already dropping like a stone. BRR!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Oh I've been back a week now. And that's typical re' the weather. In 12 days up there I managed to get up just one and a half hills! I got up Ben Klibreck on the one good day the first week, and Stac Pollaidh on the only good day the second week......although that particular hill defeated me owing to the bizarre snow cover.

BUT.....what's bad for hillwalking is fantastic for the coast and I saw some of the biggest seas I've ever seen, so storms aren't all bad smile.png I kept a photo diary showing the best of it:

http://benvironment....diary-day-eight

Hope you get good weather when you head up smile.png

Absolutely stunning photo diary! Day eight looks so exciting with those enormous waves. I would have had to be dragged away kicking and screaming. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your diary and leering at the landscapes, so much so that I've bookmarked it so I can indulge whenever I'm missing my favourite part of Scotland. In direct contrast (to both your weather and photo quality) here are some on a still and sunny November day. Took these with my old little camera and can't wait to get back there with my new beastie.

Em, can someone please give an indication of weather on Friday into Saturday please? We will be driving up to Glasgow, probably late at night to avoid traffic, for the funeral on Monday 25th. (Sadly we did lose our precious family member but we were with her at the end and I like to think her spirit will be somewhere up in stunning Sutherland which she liked so much.)

post-5195-0-74458700-1361221506_thumb.jp post-5195-0-34787200-1361221552_thumb.jp

post-5195-0-40545300-1361221580_thumb.jp post-5195-0-79586400-1361221611_thumb.jp

post-5195-0-13914400-1361221641_thumb.jp post-5195-0-34386400-1361221672_thumb.jp

post-5195-0-52729900-1361221699_thumb.jp post-5195-0-47186400-1361221746_thumb.jp

post-5195-0-78110900-1361221781_thumb.jp

Edited by Soaring Hawk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Absolutely stunning photo diary! Day eight looks so exciting with those enormous waves. I would have had to be dragged away kicking and screaming. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your diary and leering at the landscapes, so much so that I've bookmarked it so I can indulge whenever I'm missing my favourite part of Scotland. In direct contrast (to both your weather and photo quality) here are some on a still and sunny November day. Took these with my old little camera and can't wait to get back there with my new beastie.

Em, can someone please give an indication of weather on Friday into Saturday please? We will be driving up to Glasgow, probably late at night to avoid traffic, for the funeral on Monday 25th. (Sadly we did lose our precious family member but we were with her at the end and I like to think her spirit will be somewhere up in stunning Sutherland which she liked so much.)

Lovely pics SH. Can't wait to see some with your new camera!

Sorry to hear your news.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Friday-Saturday will be dry away from eastern areas, so if you're coming up the M6/M74 way the most likely bit of the journey to see snow would be your house ( even then unlikely to be too heavy at that stage if anything). Generally overcast for much of central England which might prevent a frost but a dry frost and a potentially harsh one at that possible the further north you go.

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Thank you for the forecast LSS and thank you to Blitzen, LSS and Cheggars for your kindness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Safe journey on your visit SH, please accept my condolences.

In regards to the forecast for the weekend LS is right on point. Latest fax shows Scotland under the influence of the all encompassing High and the more volatile weather further South.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Safe journey on your visit SH, please accept my condolences.

In regards to the forecast for the weekend LS is right on point. Latest fax shows Scotland under the influence of the all encompassing High and the more volatile weather further South.

Potential for a few flurries over the weekend for southeast Scotland I reckon, inland penetration maybe 10-15 miles at absolute most but with maxima down to 1-2C by the end of the week and dewpoints way down below 0C anything that does fall is likely to lie.

It doesn't take much for a bit of localised instability to develop - this brought a surprise covering to coastal Fife and Angus.

archives-2009-1-5-0-0.png

Still hints of something more interesting down the line, albeit with the west based NAO scenario best favoured in the long run:

gfs-0-312.png?18

gfs-1-312.png?18

Potential for a few flurries over the weekend for southeast Scotland I reckon, inland penetration maybe 10-15 miles at absolute most but with maxima down to 1-2C by the end of the week and dewpoints way down below 0C anything that does fall is likely to lie.

Yes, GFS has been quite consistent with a small splodge of precip moving west over the SE on Saturday:

post-2844-0-25507800-1361252140_thumb.pn

Mrs Catch is back to work today, so it is an early start. I felt very suitably small and humble when out fetching logs at 5am; the sky was dusty with stars, what a sight, even without my specs :lol: :good:

Posted

Yes, GFS has been quite consistent with a small splodge of precip moving west over the SE on Saturday:

post-2844-0-25507800-1361252140_thumb.pn

Mrs Catch is back to work today, so it is an early start. I felt very suitably small and humble when out fetching logs at 5am; the sky was dusty with stars, what a sight, even without my specs :lol: :good:

Rain sleet or snow on Saturday? Once again marginal (or the wrong side of it here at least)

Rain sleet or snow on Saturday? Once again marginal (or the wrong side of it here at least)

At this stage more likely to be "no" than snow or any other precip. Looks very light and patchy at best, time will tell :)

These pics don't do the pre-sunrise light any justice whatsoever:

post-2844-0-13134900-1361261343_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-74057400-1361261496_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-23000300-1361261700_thumb.jp

I am so glad we moved out here, it is a little far from anywhere in particular but it is worth it for moments like seeing the stars at 5am and then that light before sunrise.

It looks like we could be radar watching later on today as the cold front moves west, probably either not going to be much precip from it or the wrong side of marginal, but certainly worth having a peek at it :good:

Posted

-1.9C minima this morning which is the coldest this month. A lovely, calm sunny morning now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Another cold, slightly frosty start to the day here with wall-to-wall blues skies. I'm getting kind of used to seeing the sun, it'll be a pity if it gets cloudier as forecast for later today onwards.

Another cold, slightly frosty start to the day here with wall-to-wall blues skies. I'm getting kind of used to seeing the sun, it'll be a pity if it gets cloudier as forecast for later today onwards.

Not just cloud but some light precip too. It may well be a rain to snow, or more precisely drizzle to snizzle, event. For some elevated areas to the west of you it does look very good for some patchy snow. Both the NMM and NAE develop an area of precip roughly like this:

post-2844-0-85096600-1361269035_thumb.gi

It will be interesting to see what actually develops on the radar later tonight into tomorrow. Once the cold air arrives we should work off the assumption that there will be absolutely no snow anywhere in Scotland in the next week; you just never know, somewhere might catch a flake or two but nowhere looks like getting much at all.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Another clear (start at least) to the day. 1 point it will cloud in and that might stick around for a while but hopefully it will hold off to much later on today (mighty cold last night and this morning again but frost just about lifted now)