Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 14th February 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Appears to be something falling from the sky in Forfar.Can anyone confirm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Interesting little trough moving into South East Scotland on Saturday. Could extend out some light snow across a few parts of central and southern Scotland with NE England looking best placed for some more moderate snow from it.

fax96s.gif?10-12

Slight northward adjustments and we could be looking at a covering in parts of the southeastern quadrant of Scotland.

Posted

For some reason I managed to put this in the Ireland thread yesterday, so better late than never. Cracking day today cloud rolled in at the end so here's yesterdays sunset at Lake of Mentieth (18th Feb 2013).

8485894117_80b1d55b3f_c.jpg

I was trying to snap this yesterday, but tree's obscured it. Cracking picture though.

Well back from Liverpool (back again on Friday for Justin Bieber concert!!!help.gif ) wall to wall blue there and back. Picture taken aboot 5:30pm near Abington Services, but M74 not a smooth road so forgive quality..

post-2849-0-06600400-1361316870_thumb.jp

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

In complete contrast to the last few mornings today has dawned to cold, grey and drizzle. Nothing much to commend it, other than perhaps the lack of wind.

Posted

Grey and drab, 5c. There was a lot of fog driving home through the East Neuk last night but it looks to have cleared this morning. First in a procession of featureless days, I suppose. :-(

Posted

Fine start to day again . Currently -3c Ground rock hard this morning

Really superb normal late February weather here now reminiscent of years in the sixties.Trimming overhanging branches and whin bushes the order of the day after feeding/bedding cattle. The slightest hint in the models of a northerly outbreak at the begining of March this morning would fit in well with the pattern of springs in those years. March to roar in like a lion? Winter to carry on into April in places nearer the Arctic Circle?

Edited by Northernlights

Really superb normal late February weather here now reminiscent of years in the sixties.Timming overhanging branches and whin bushes the order of the day after feeding/bedding cattle. The slightest hint in the models of a northerly outbreak at the begining of March this morning would fit in well with the pattern of springs in those years. March to roar in like a lion? Winter to carry on into April in places nearer the Arctic Circle?

Aye, the hint of the northerly has been there a wee while now, but are we being led astray by yet another model tease?

Slight northward adjustments and we could be looking at a covering in parts of the southeastern quadrant of Scotland.

The Met-O have noticed this too and the text forecasts for the weekend pick up on the possibility of light snow showers for the south-east. This taken from the SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders regional forecast:

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Dry and cold although some light snow showers possible across the east on Saturday. Best of the sunshine across the west. Overnight frosts, sharp in places, patchy fog. Light winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Another stonking crystal clear day up here. I was in Uist yesterday and it was just stunning. First visit, will defo be going back there. The ferry trip back to Skye produced loads of photies. Will try and get some on here soon.

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted

Right folks what a bland weather day here, cloudy with a SE wind and 5 degress!!! Im heading to Kilconquhar( fife) on friday night for the weekend. Looking at the forecast, what are the chances of me seeing snow down there. I know nothing of the location or what happens weather wise there when a SE wind and snow is possible.

Right folks what a bland weather day here, cloudy with a SE wind and 5 degress!!! Im heading to Kilconquhar( fife) on friday night for the weekend. Looking at the forecast, what are the chances of me seeing snow down there. I know nothing of the location or what happens weather wise there when a SE wind and snow is possible.

I would say the chances of snow are slim. There doesn't look to be that much precip around plus you're very close to the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I would say the chances of snow are slim. There doesn't look to be that much precip around plus you're very close to the coast.

A flurry wouldn't be out of the question, though as you say it is (almost) right on the coast:

13022212_2012.gif

13022212_2012.gif

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Dull, dreich day here. Temp is 4c but feels a lot colder, WS says the windchill is 1c. I preferred the sunshine at the start of the week much more cray.gif

Posted

ECMWF shows the snowfall potential for Saturday in particular in a very slack easterly flow:

ECM1-72.GIF

ECM0-72.GIF?20-0

NMM has a precipitation signal for the east coast (precipitation type chiefly snow rather than sleet or rain) from this evening right through to Friday midday, gradually transferring from Angus to Fife and the Lothians.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Another smashing day lifted a few neeps for the inside cattle in the afternoon when the ground thawed out.A few photos from this morning showing frosty side of wood.post-2744-0-57714000-1361388622_thumb.jp

Sea fog over Hairy Celtpost-2744-0-30433100-1361388592_thumb.jp

And finally a wintry looking Ben Wyvis post-2744-0-88223700-1361388513_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I'm still hopefull of a wee bit of snaw before the winters out. Certainly prefer this still, calm and sometimes frosty weather tae lashin it doon pish.

ECM starting to shift the high towards the end NW a bit, opening up some potential. Something to watch in addition to the chance of a wee flurry sooner.

In the meantime, here's yet another new addition tae family SS. 'Islay' is her name and she's very shy as it's her first night at fort SS (just a pup).

Mrs SS has wanted one (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) since she was a kid so's well pleased. I'm not yet convinced myself that it's a real dog, but even still - even though I'm not a particularly big lover of pets - have my heart melted by those big Disney eyes.

post-9421-0-70243300-1361388881_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-79016300-1361388893_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just enough cloud this morning to keep frost away, then cleared to another blue dome day, but with a biting breeeze.

Crazy sunsets here, it'll be a while before I can get any posted properly but some phenomenomenal lights.

Posted

Norwegian MO forecasting an utterly frigid 10 ten days to come with no sign of springlike weather even into the start of March:

http://www.yr.no/sted/Storbritannia/Skottland/Edinburgh/langtidsvarsel.html

With the ECM and GFS both hinting at a northerly influence as we move into March we're certainly very far from waving goodbye to snow just yet:

ECM1-240.GIF?20-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yep , that cold pool is just teasing away and for now seems to be waiting to pounce and deliver the unexpected or spectacular. Models seem determined to have us chasing after Greenland Highs and retro action into March.. a gruelling Winter of model watching !

Yep , that cold pool is just teasing away and for now seems to be waiting to pounce and deliver the unexpected or spectacular. Models seem determined to have us chasing after Greenland Highs and retro action into March.. a gruelling Winter of model watching !

ECM 12z and GFS 18z not a million miles apart in their evolution to delivering something cold from the north. Very interesting!!

Posted

I'm still hopefull of a wee bit of snaw before the winters out. Certainly prefer this still, calm and sometimes frosty weather tae lashin it doon pish.

ECM starting to shift the high towards the end NW a bit, opening up some potential. Something to watch in addition to the chance of a wee flurry sooner.

In the meantime, here's yet another new addition tae family SS. 'Islay' is her name and she's very shy as it's her first night at fort SS (just a pup).

Mrs SS has wanted one (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) since she was a kid so's well pleased. I'm not yet convinced myself that it's a real dog, but even still - even though I'm not a particularly big lover of pets - have my heart melted by those big Disney eyes.

She's beautiful. We just recently added a King Charles to the family too. Alfie is 14 weeks old,gorgeous little dog who's so far only chewed the kitchen wall and the hose on the Dyson. Just as we'll we love him ;)