Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 14th February 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Another clear (start at least) to the day. 1 point it will cloud in and that might stick around for a while but hopefully it will hold off to much later on today (mighty cold last night and this morning again but frost just about lifted now)

The cloud is coming, fast! That was brutal, it looked like it was going to be a lovely sunny morning and early afternoon. I went to get logs before going for a shave & wash. Sunny with clouds only on the far horizon when I went in, less than half an hour later it is almost completely cloudy and the temp has fallen back to 3.9ºC from an earlier 7ºC (approx., will check the drop later!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sun hanging on here with still a little frost in the shade. Min was -2.5C.

There is a hazy dullness off to the East which I hope stays there.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Not just cloud but some light precip too. It may well be a rain to snow, or more precisely drizzle to snizzle, event. For some elevated areas to the west of you it does look very good for some patchy snow. Both the NMM and NAE develop an area of precip roughly like this:

post-2844-0-85096600-1361269035_thumb.gi

It will be interesting to see what actually develops on the radar later tonight into tomorrow. Once the cold air arrives we should work off the assumption that there will be absolutely no snow anywhere in Scotland in the next week; you just never know, somewhere might catch a flake or two but nowhere looks like getting much at all.

just some light cosmetic snow would be good for the ski centres...well so it looks nice when I go up on Saturday. Only one I fear for is Nevis as their lower runs tend to lose a lot of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Rain sleet or snow on Saturday? Once again marginal (or the wrong side of it here at least)

Very little chance of it reaching you I think, if it does it could well be wintry though given the lack of wind and the very dry airmass in situ.

Posted

Looks like we might just about hang on to clear skies rest of the day (did see whispers of grey cloud and I thought here we go it's coming) but they have melted again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Oh well, the cloud cover has now rolled in so bye bye sunshine. Hopefully it'll not be too long before we see it again.

Posted

Now the cloud is defo just starting to approach the eastern horizon. Close to game over for the sunny weather

Now the cloud is defo just starting to approach the eastern horizon. Close to game over for the sunny weather

Scotch mist here, has been for hours. Temp steady at 3.3ºC so a lovely late afternoon :huh:

Posted

Cloud is closing in here as well. I've really enjoyed these sunny days, hope it's not too long before they return!

Cloud is closing in here as well. I've really enjoyed these sunny days, hope it's not too long before they return!

I'm stunned it's taken so long to reach you Poots, it rolled in here really quickly this morning. You're only 25 miles away in Peebles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Explanation for lack of upland snow melt yesterday from Ian F - very low DPs. -31.8C at Aonach Mor today.

Posted

Really has got very chilly with the cloud and wind. Noticeable windchill BRR!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

This dry & sunny weather is starting to getting boring. I want the snow rollercoaster back, same it's not going to happen :(

Temp 5.3/1.4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not as boring as the dry and dull is going to be though Ally. I also want the snow roller coaster back ASAP.

Cloud did come in here this afternoon. Currently 4C.

Posted

The last two days have been great for me weather wise with cold, clear and frosty mornings followed by late winter sunshine and then rapidly dropping temperatures in the evening. Last night got down to -4.2c but with the cloud starting to roll in from the east it's unlikely to get much below freezing tonight although the temperature is dropping fairly quickly just now 4.2c/1.7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Well,after a very frosty night it's been a beautiful winters day here today.The fog lifted around 10 ish and there's not been a cloud in the sky.Temperature peaked at 6.1c around 3 pm and is now sitting at 4.1c. Dp -0.3c.....looks like another frosty night ahead.

The next week or so looks as though we could be chasing the sun as there will certainly be a fair bit of cloud about but there is scope for clear skies too,western areas look to fair quite well.Certainly looks like we could see a frost every night And I think today could have been the warmest for the next week.Daytime temps probably not getting to today's values til next mon/ tues.

The 2m min temp charts indicate that it may be wise to keep the de-icer at hand!

post-18260-0-90917200-1361296783_thumb.j

post-18260-0-45335500-1361296797_thumb.j

post-18260-0-53965500-1361296808_thumb.j

post-18260-0-77366100-1361296820_thumb.j

post-18260-0-89854000-1361296840_thumb.j

post-18260-0-89523700-1361296852_thumb.j

post-18260-0-34390900-1361296875_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The limpet is born...

post-7292-0-36936200-1361298949_thumb.gi

Wonder how long this HP cell will anchor itself to Scotland for...!

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

For some reason I managed to put this in the Ireland thread yesterday, so better late than never. Cracking day today cloud rolled in at the end so here's yesterdays sunset at Lake of Mentieth (18th Feb 2013).

8485894117_80b1d55b3f_c.jpg

The limpet is born...

post-7292-0-36936200-1361298949_thumb.gi

Wonder how long this HP cell will anchor itself to Scotland for...!

Eleven days? Before heading off to Greenland for a rest for three weeks? First part about 90.1% likely, second part about 1.09% likely rofl.gif

Edit: Both GFS and ECM sink the high into Europe by day ten...

Steady heavy drizzle here now, despite nothing showing on the radar. Currently 2.6ºC and very slowly falling...

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Drizzle here too. 3.6C

A couple of photos taken by my daughter from the Aberfeldy to Crieff Road on Sunday.

post-4999-0-70160600-1361304560_thumb.jppost-4999-0-05847800-1361304678_thumb.jp

Edited by Norrance

Posted

For some reason I managed to put this in the Ireland thread yesterday, so better late than never. Cracking day today cloud rolled in at the end so here's yesterdays sunset at Lake of Mentieth (18th Feb 2013).

8485894117_80b1d55b3f_c.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! Lovely lenticular clouds too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The north coast's turn for a smashing day today. !00% blue till about 4pm; at lunchtime on site I think there were several people looking to extend their breaks just to carry on gazing lovingly at the big blue dome. Bens Kilbreck, Loyal and Hope all looked splendid with about 75% snow cover at altitude still. Should have been there.

Posted

Interesting little trough moving into South East Scotland on Saturday. Could extend out some light snow across a few parts of central and southern Scotland with NE England looking best placed for some more moderate snow from it.