Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 14th February 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Telescope is out (Meade 10" Schmidt Cassegrain).

Sky is amazing - cloud has dissipated and humidity is only 87% so not much dewing yet. Already checked out Jupiter, Orion Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy and several open and double clusters.

The Heavens sure do declare the Glory of God the Creator (Psalm 19.1).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Lovely day out today. Took a walk over towards Loch Kennard from the Aberfeldy / Crieff road but had to give up because of the depth of the soft snow between the trees. Too much for me but had the dog as excuse for not making it.

Clear skies here this evening and even with the streetlights the stars are bright. Getting cool now with temps down to 2.5C and falling.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Been away up north again this weekend. Not on the motorbike this time so no hairy moments on the snow. Looking at relocating to completely change my (our) life by taking on a b&b. Finance is proving a bit of a tricky one. That was a very pc way of putting it as we have been pulling our hair out at the response from lenders. Did you know that once the existing b&b owners die then that is the end of b&b's?blink.png They won't lend to owners with no previous experience of running one... That seems to be one of the main criteria. I'm sure we will get there in the end ...

Viewed a property this weekend and hopefully we can get something in the Moray area.

Anyway, this is a weather/help forum so here is a photo from yesterday morning from Lossiemouth.

Went along the coast to Nairn and it was lovely and warm on the beach. Almost spring like. Photo is looking towards the Black Isle.

We are not ruling out anywhere in Scotland so if any of you know of a b&b in a reasonable sized town for sale then let me know!

Thanks!

post-11598-0-44536800-1361132774_thumb.j

post-11598-0-27880300-1361133149_thumb.j

Posted

Hello fellow brethren of this United Kingdom (cheeky poke at any independentists!)

Looking at the forecast I think it's time for my annual trip to the Highlands, some rare sunshine for hiking and photography.

Can't decide between Torridon or Skye, can anyone tell me what snow conditions are like, is there a snowline or is it just patchy now? Any snow left on the Black Cuillin, would love to get that classic sunrise/sunset shot from Elgol.

Thanks

Try here - http://www.ukclimbin.../t.php?t=538190

or here - http://www.ukclimbin.../t.php?t=535420

I can give a personal account from a boarding perspective in Glencoe tomorrow if you like. good.gif

Edit. Just realised I should have ignored you after your "cheeky poke" but us Scot's are just too nice.

Edited by scottishandy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Down to 1.1C already - could be the first decent air frost here in a good while.

Looks like more where that came from in the coming days:

13021912_1718.gif

Looking lovely for my trip to the Highlands on Friday:

ECM1-120.GIF?17-0

How long are you away for Scotster? Next week looks glorious for the north Highlands:

13022018_1718.gif

Shift the high north a bit and we might be looking at snow showers for the east from Friday onwards, so still that threat, but nothing at all wrong with a spell of cool/cold settled weather.

Posted

Try here - http://www.ukclimbin.../t.php?t=538190

or here - http://www.ukclimbin.../t.php?t=535420

I can give a personal account from a boarding perspective in Glencoe tomorrow if you like. good.gif

Edit. Just realised I should have ignored you after your "cheeky poke" but us Scot's are just too nice.

Thanks for that, hard to find reports from the North. Be good to hear your account of snow conditions in Glencoe, should be a cracking day for some boarding!

Didn't mean to offend with my "cheeky poke", all in good jest! Can fully appreciate the desire to go independent. Maybe you could extend the border a little further south.

Will be keeping an eye on posts from your resident model interpreters, your forecasts are much more relevant to here than the South East biased model thread. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thanks for that, hard to find reports from the North. Be good to hear your account of snow conditions in Glencoe, should be a cracking day for some boarding!

Didn't mean to offend with my "cheeky poke", all in good jest! Can fully appreciate the desire to go independent. Maybe you could extend the border a little further south.

Will be keeping an eye on posts from your resident model interpreters, your forecasts are much more relevant to here than the South East biased model thread. good.gif

Not at all, we can all appreciate a good laugh. We'll see what we can do with regards to the border, especially the Lake District, a really beautiful part of the world drinks.gif

It's looking HP dominated up in the far northwest for the foreseeable, with cloud cover encroachment only temporary, so this is likely to be one of the best weeks weatherwise of the whole year there.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Great starry moonlit night here too. Currently 2c here with a ground frost. Farm cats in for the evening and glued to the rayburn so cat models say winter isn"t over. A couple of photos.post-2744-0-24248600-1361142835_thumb.jppost-2744-0-53173100-1361142752_thumb.jp

Posted

A frost at last. You could count them on one hand this winter. Beautiful morning and the coldest for quite some time at -3c. Should be a very pleasant cycle to work this morning. Cracking walk in the Pentlands yesterday too with some amazing views. As much as I love snow this sort of weather is hard to beat. Got a lodge booked in Perthshire this weekend so hoping this settled spell doesn't peak too soon.

Edited by 101_North

A frost at last. You could count them on one hand this winter. Beautiful morning and the coldest for quite some time at -3c. Should be a very pleasant cycle to work this morning. Cracking walk in the Pentlands yesterday too with some amazing views. As much as I love snow this sort of weather is hard to beat. Got a lodge booked in Perthshire this weekend so hoping this settled spell doesn't peak too soon.

Same here, great to see a proper white frost at last. Down to -4.3ºC overnight but currently warming quickly at -3.3ºC. Beautiful views out over the fields this morning and yet another gorgeous sunrise. I don't mind not having snow when it's like this good.gif

Edit: Up to -0.5ºC in fifteen minutes, positively tropical :rofl:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, lovely frost here the morn. White tinge to everything. -3.5 C with clear blue skies. Very pleasant.

Posted

Cracking morning in Aberdeenshire. Lovely walk with dog, mud was frozen :-) so no muddy paws or boots!!! Hopefully this last till weekend, away to st Andrews Friday to Sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

How long are you away for Scotster? Next week looks glorious for the north Highlands:

Oh I've been back a week now. And that's typical re' the weather. In 12 days up there I managed to get up just one and a half hills! I got up Ben Klibreck on the one good day the first week, and Stac Pollaidh on the only good day the second week......although that particular hill defeated me owing to the bizarre snow cover.

BUT.....what's bad for hillwalking is fantastic for the coast and I saw some of the biggest seas I've ever seen, so storms aren't all bad :) I kept a photo diary showing the best of it:

http://benvironment.org.uk/post/43072343676/caithness-sutherland-photo-diary-day-eight

Hope you get good weather when you head up :)

Posted

101's gonna be late for work. That's the kind of morning - sun streaming in - that I throw open a window and play some classic rock at a fairly silly volume. Days like this are good for the soul!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I throw open a window and play some classic rock at a fairly silly volume. Days like this are good for the soul!

Oh my neighbour was doing that yesterday.......but with Robbie bloody Williams.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well I'll echo the thoughts expressed already, a lovely calm, crisp frosty start to the day here with wall to wall blue skies. That follows on from a very good weekend of similarly pleasant weather. I must admit when out walking the dog on Sunday afternoon of thinking "Hmmmm....this is rather nice....do I really want another cold spell?". Of course what I do or do not want is irrelevant as the weather will do what the weather wants. I just hope we get cold and snowy, or cold and blue skies and not cold and wet or cold and grey.

Posted

Oh I've been back a week now. And that's typical re' the weather. In 12 days up there I managed to get up just one and a half hills! I got up Ben Klibreck on the one good day the first week, and Stac Pollaidh on the only good day the second week......although that particular hill defeated me owing to the bizarre snow cover.

BUT.....what's bad for hillwalking is fantastic for the coast and I saw some of the biggest seas I've ever seen, so storms aren't all bad smile.png I kept a photo diary showing the best of it:

http://benvironment....diary-day-eight

Hope you get good weather when you head up smile.png

Fantastic pics. Anyone who has tried taking pics of waves will know they never come out looking as big as they are in real life. These looked big enough anyway so must have been stupendous. Great job and excellent commentary.

Posted

Another fantastic start to the day if chilly. Just a pity it not a few degrees warmer :p but really nice. Cold tonight too and might start OK tomorrow before the cloud enroades (and that may well be that rest of the week)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A perfectly stunning day on Skye, sparkling sunshine and clear blue skies.....I'll take this anyday. Off to Uist later this afternoon, art exhibition at the college over there, back later tomorrow night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Been away up north again this weekend. Not on the motorbike this time so no hairy moments on the snow. Looking at relocating to completely change my (our) life by taking on a b&b. Finance is proving a bit of a tricky one. That was a very pc way of putting it as we have been pulling our hair out at the response from lenders. Did you know that once the existing b&b owners die then that is the end of b&b's?blink.png They won't lend to owners with no previous experience of running one... That seems to be one of the main criteria. I'm sure we will get there in the end ...

Viewed a property this weekend and hopefully we can get something in the Moray area.

Anyway, this is a weather/help forum so here is a photo from yesterday morning from Lossiemouth.

Went along the coast to Nairn and it was lovely and warm on the beach. Almost spring like. Photo is looking towards the Black Isle.

We are not ruling out anywhere in Scotland so if any of you know of a b&b in a reasonable sized town for sale then let me know!

Thanks!

There are plenty for sale on Skye! Just google and see.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Ah its so beautiful at the moment in Alloa. looking over to the Ochills with little bits of sow clinging on for dear life. Sky is blue, sun is lovely on my face, very spring like. Watch some bloody shortwave come and spoil it :)

Ah its so beautiful at the moment in Alloa. looking over to the Ochills with little bits of sow clinging on for dear life. Sky is blue, sun is lovely on my face, very spring like. Watch some bloody shortwave come and spoil it smile.png

It's going to be cloud which spoils it for some. We might as well all pack up and come back in a few days going by the model output. Nowt much going on. Time to roll out some photos as there's no point posting up charts at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I keep trying to explain to friends and family doon South that Scotland gets tons of sunshine - just we get it at this time of year rather than July and August :)

Blue skies, nippy chill in the air, white white frost this mroning - sky so dazzlingly intense a blue that you almost have to squint looking at it... very few places do this kind of light. You can see why all those 19th century water-colour artists flocked up to Scotland for the light - beautiful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Another glorious day in rural Perthshire.

Maximum today 8.6C minimum last night -3.7C.

It's going to be another cold one!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Hope to do my annual 4 stop ski tour starting on Saturday. We go Glencoe, Nevis, Cairngorm then Glenshee in that order. Turns into a 5 day holiday and still cheaper than going abroad. Just hope there are a few flakes on Wed/Thursday to freshen things up a bit. The actual runs are going to be fine other than lower access slopes at Nevis.acute.gif

Edited by November13