Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/3/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

after bidding farewell to the snow hunt at least twice this winter I sniff a sniff of snow at least on the higher ground of the south west. The ECM is promising but with GFS going milder (not mild mind) nothing is certain. This time next week could be interesting........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Well I had one distant rumble of Thunder earlier from the cell that passed over the West Berkshire area. That makes my total, two Thunder days for the year now with the other one, just a few days ago. During the heavier precipitation, the rain was showing signs of turning to sleet on occasion too.

Yep I drove through that rather large cell on the m4. Definitely some sleet in that heavy ppn as well as some pinkness to the cloud north of me. Quite a potent cell. I don't think though that has helped the very swollen rivers and flooded fields. There is a fair bit of flooding already in Berkshire

Well I had one distant rumble of Thunder earlier from the cell that passed over the West Berkshire area. That makes my total, two Thunder days for the year now with the other one, just a few days ago. During the heavier precipitation, the rain was showing signs of turning to sleet on occasion too.

Yep I drove through that rather large cell on the m4. Definitely some sleet in that heavy ppn as well as some pinkness to the cloud north of me. Quite a potent cell. I don't think though that has helped the very swollen rivers and flooded fields. There is a fair bit of flooding already in Berkshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well I think I can safely say that Today was another zero ppn day with not a single shower all day! One wet snow/sleet/hail shower is all I asked for... cray.gif

Cold and frosty outside -0.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

No showers for me today, but this cell passed to the north of Ferndown at about 5:30pm, camera doesn't really do it justice, wish it rolled over us, really looked quite intense!

post-16760-0-95445300-1363728057_thumb.j

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

No showers for me today, but this cell passed to the north of Ferndown at about 5:30pm, camera doesn't really do it justice, wish it rolled over us, really looked quite intense!

There was quite a large area of decent convection to the north of Poole this afternoon, all showing nicely on radar, two main areas, one north of Wimborne, the other north of Ringwood.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Yeah, I took some pictures of a cell heading towards the Bristol Channel earlier; but decided not to upload any, because the pictures didn't actually do the cloud justice! Although, I may do now, as you have...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Saw massive clouds on way home from work, amazing Westbury had 3-4 inches of hail while in Frome i think there was a light shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Anyone from westbury confirm this hailstorm mentioned by earlier poster.

Posted

From Ian :D

W COUNTRY main threat of accumulating snow tonight is 300-400m plus in W Somerset (M5 corridor & W of there) but 30% chance to lower levels.

Oh, and on the back of that, there's a shower building just west off the coast of Weymouth... Heading for me??! :D

And more from Ian:

W COUNTRY We include the snow potential to include (especially uplands) of W Dorset and other parts of Somerset, e.g. S-Central districts.

Edited by dec10snow

Posted

Saw massive clouds on way home from work, amazing Westbury had 3-4 inches of hail while in Frome i think there was a light shower.

Anyone from westbury confirm this hailstorm mentioned by earlier poster.

It was Westbury on the Mendips not Westbury, Wiltshire - just to clarify.

Have been out at football in Westbury, Wiltshire and having reviewed the radar am very glad the downpours missed by a matter of just

a few miles. The sky at sunset was stunning with a CB over Salisbury Plain and another towards Bath while overhead ws clear with the

half moon shining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

It was Westbury on the Mendips not Westbury, Wiltshire - just to clarify.

Have been out at football in Westbury, Wiltshire and having reviewed the radar am very glad the downpours missed by a matter of just

a few miles. The sky at sunset was stunning with a CB over Salisbury Plain and another towards Bath while overhead ws clear with the

half moon shining.

Stunning clouds on way home this afternoon 5ish from High Littleton to Bradford on Avon. Struggled to keep my eyes on the road!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Stunning clouds on way home this afternoon 5ish from High Littleton to Bradford on Avon. Struggled to keep my eyes on the road!

Ditto! I tried taking pictures on my iPhone but they didn't do the clouds justice. Lovely cloudscapes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Ditto! I tried taking pictures on my iPhone but they didn't do the clouds justice. Lovely cloudscapes.

Same here. Only the eye could capture the true scale.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

WEDNESDAY: Spring, Pleasant Sunshine with a small risk of a few light showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Sneak preview at the modified NAE regarding tomorrow's rainfall;

post-12721-0-24553100-1363765687_thumb.j

A day in the life of a professional meteorologist! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Currently 2.6c here after getting down to -1c at some point during the night. Cloudy and bleugghh with a chilly wind. Has anyone seen any signs of spring in the models? Any sun and warmth at all? I normally read the model thread all year around but this winter it drove me insane. I might start reading it again when spring finally arrives and the coldies disappear until next winter. I suppose I could go in there and throw a tantrum about the lack of warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I know is a week away but second chance channel low ? When is winter going to give in! ;-)

I hope France doesn't pinch it again :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Warnings adjusted, not for our region i know but i thought i'd post it anyway. :)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1363737600

At least you have a soaking to look forward too. :p :p