Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/3/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted

You and I will do our bit because we both work close to the land and we understand that we should not abuse it, both short-term and longer-term. drinks.gif

Same here. good.gif

Whoops, better add something on topic: some nice sunny spells this morning, after quite a hard frost!

The sky is a lovely shade of blue, in between the clouds!

Edited by noggin

Posted

Has this rain band turned to snow inland? Waiting for a train, all trains delayed, now some getting cancelled due to "bad weather north of Havant". Will be chaos if it has, there's a lot of it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

That's for sure. While parts of the north are digging themselves out 1 snowfall where the snow stuck is the season's total here. It has been about the most frustrating winter of snow hoping I can remember, not because the chances have been low (some winters in the early 00s were so bad that at least frustration was impossible given the constantly mild conditions) but because the carrot has been dangled so often this season and then taken away that I am sick to death of this winter now.

Bring on Spring. I want to forget all about snow chances now until October.

Yep its been a frustrating season alright, fair few days with falling snow but very little sticking and hardly any depth to what did. I just want things to warm up and dry out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

You're absolutely spot on Bumpkin. Agriculture has enough issues right now but you know what, the current ones are largely brought about the changing climate. Sadly, there is not a lot us humans can do, other than pray for something sunnier and drier around the corner. Of course, our climate is ever-changing, simply due to the fact we are an island surrounded by sea on all sides and a spell of HP dominated will arrive eventually. One question bugs me though, just how much damage has mankind already inflicted on the world, by abusing the natural ecosystem and thereby stripping it of all its resources. We can't expect the climate to remain unaltered, by not accepting we are part of the problem. You and I will do our bit because we both work close to the land and we understand that we should not abuse it, both short-term and longer-term. drinks.gif

Best stop now as I'm ranting and some of the above perhaps belongs in another thread, but at least I've got it off my chest. aggressive.gif

One or two days are looking warmer in the outlook, so that can only be good. Also, I don't believe it’s over wet until the end of the week, so good news there. 0.8mm so far today in Newbury, 81.8mm in total, so I reckon I can expect yet another triple-digit monthly rainfall figure and I'm in one of the drier regions too. help.gif

Fair points raised GTLTW! I do feel for the farming and agriculture community, even though before last week we had seen a few weeks of cold but dry weather. As for myself ballooning has not really got started yet, when we have seen some nice weather it has generally been too wet to fly and to show farmers respect many have opted out. Lets hope for some dry weather in the coming months.

Posted

Has this rain band turned to snow inland? Waiting for a train, all trains delayed, now some getting cancelled due to "bad weather north of Havant". Will be chaos if it has, there's a lot of it!

NW extra radar still says rain - plenty:

post-6667-0-84821500-1363609529_thumb.jp

Convective weather was, the trouble is, under slack wind flow, it can cause flash flooding. They'll be more kicking off through this afternoon i expect.

GFS says very isolated areas (as currently experiencing it):

gfs_prec_eur9.png

Plenty up there though:

gfs_pw_eur9.png

gfs_mtv_eur9.png

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Fair points raised GTLTW! I do feel for the farming and agriculture community, even though before last week we had seen a few weeks of cold but dry weather. As for myself ballooning has not really got started yet, when we have seen some nice weather it has generally been too wet to fly and to show farmers respect many have opted out. Lets hope for some dry weather in the coming months.

Well put Mark. Yes, there was a brief window of drier weather which lasted something like up to ten days or so I believe, but if you listen to the farming programs like I do (what an anorak I am?search.gif ) Looking at the broader picture, the agricultural industry and yes, it is an industry, a vital one at that, is facing one problem after problem right now, none of which will be resolved overnight unless Mother Nature comes to the rescue once again. Without farming, we don't get food on our tables, without the wildlife-friendly approach we can't reap the benefits, simples. I am talking from a global perspective here as well, because the onions (no pun intended) truly hit the fan, all across the globe last year, I can tell you.

Thinking positively, the future is in our hands and we should learn to deal with the extremes because they are here to stay IMHO. I am now expecting to read of 70F being reached come Easter, so snow to heatwaves in the matter of days. rofl.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Currently 6°C here, and a bit overcast. It's very still though, i'm praying for a bubble up! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not a bad afternoon here now, temperature upto 6c and some sunshine, although the clouds are around. Wind calm though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Cloudy with sunshine..Changeable

""""""""""""""""""""""""

Current data for WH1081

18 March 2013 12:48:10

Temperature (°C):

Current 10.9

Trend (per hour) +2.2

Average today 2.1

Wind chill 10.8

Heat Index 10.9

Dew Point 2.5

Rel Humidity 56%

Wind (km/h):

Current Gust 9.7 NE

Average Speed 5.0 NE

Rainfall (mm):

Current rate 0.0

Last hour 0.0

Total today 0.0

Total yesterday 1.8

Total this month 35.4

Total this year 41.7

Pressure (hPa):

Current 986.3

Trend (per hour) +0.3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Currently 6°C here, and a bit overcast. It's very still though, i'm praying for a bubble up! smile.png

First signs of which, may be coming into the Southwest as I type. acute.gif

I do like convective weather and I also do like moaning about the weather too, but who doesn't.

I guess you Mapantz have reached triple-digit rainfall readings, every month for the last twelve, have you not?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Nothing to report here.

A bit of sun, a bit of cloud. On the cool side. Hoping for a little more convective activity tomorrow.

Posted

I guess you Mapantz have reached triple-digit rainfall readings, every month for the last twelve, have you not?

Not quite, but February this year was the first month to be below average since March last year, that was only by 7mm too! laugh.png

Some stats i dug out for Wareham. smile.png

2012:

Jan: 51.8mm

Feb: 17.8mm

Mar: 34.8mm

Apr: 164.0mm

May: 58.0mm

Jun: 174.4mm

Jul: 149.6mm

Aug: 81.4mm

Sep: 92.6mm

Oct: 195.0mm

Nov: 157.4mm

Dec: 190.6mm

2013:

Jan: 163.4mm

Feb: 51.6mm

Mar: 70.4mm

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Feels quite warm out of the wind today, not even wearing a coat, spring must be on its way, I wish lol :-)

Posted

Not quite, but February this year was the first month to be below average since March last year, that was only by 7mm too! laugh.png

Some stats i dug out for Wareham. smile.png

2012:

Jan: 51.8mm

Feb: 17.8mm

Mar: 34.8mm

Apr: 164.0mm

May: 58.0mm

Jun: 174.4mm

Jul: 149.6mm

Aug: 81.4mm

Sep: 92.6mm

Oct: 195.0mm

Nov: 157.4mm

Dec: 190.6mm

2013:

Jan: 163.4mm

Feb: 51.6mm

Mar: 70.4mm

Darn wet that's for sure. I can't believe I've had more than you in March so far with 83.4mm and counting with the drip drip drip of snowmelt being added right now. We have been hit hard in recent days, as Polar Bear alluded to yesterday. However, nothing in comparison to the weeks of dullness and rain that some have had though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Another chilly day here although no showers as of yet.

Bbc shower graphics look nice and wintry for my day off work tuesday good.gifclapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

10.9ºc at 12:47...now 7.8ºC...

Posted

Horrible day, cold & lots of rain, meant to be brightening up this afternoon, but not here yet!

Temp. 6.5C after a minimum of 3C 10mm of rain so far today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The sun has got his hat on........ ......

Hip hip hooray!!

Not a bad day here after a frosty start, it was lovely and warm when the Sun came out, generally sunny with the odd cloudy bit but not a spot of rain!

Has Spring finally sprung?

Posted

Hip hip hooray!!

Not a bad day here after a frosty start, it was lovely and warm when the Sun came out, generally sunny with the odd cloudy bit but not a spot of rain!

Has Spring finally sprung?

Felt like it today!!!

Posted

I'm not a trumpet blower but there's been quite a change on the UKMO model, it's following the GFS quite well.

The signs are pointing towards a wet one for the south & south west.