Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 17th March 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looking at yesterdays snow and that falling Darn Sarf this morning I was going to say it seems strange that the North West region must have been in a warm sector with colder uppers both to the north and south of us overnight.

But then I though, what's strange about that; it has happened throughout this winter and no doubt throughout history.

Just as the UK always seems to be in the wrong place when it comes to severe weather in Europe, our region is the same when anything marginal occurs on our shores.

Posted

Heavy rain shower to start the day then a sunny spell for a few hours,clouded over now

Posted

Snowy landscape here, though the snow is thawing, still another morning of snow cover. Colder uppers moves over cumbria overnight, much colder uppers than yesterday with the snowline at 550 m. Will be interesting to see what the snowline is at the end of today. Next week will see the lakes locked in cold air, so whatever the snowline is at the end of today it should remain so. Fantastic winter walking conditions for this stage in the season, but nothing unusual, indeed in some years march has brought the best winter conditions on the fells.

Posted

Well the rain did turn sleety over night but I'd hardly call it heavy snow here. Unless it's fine powdery snow that sticks and stays it will always be slushy sleet for me. It left a covering but it soon left the cars and grassy areas once the sun came up. Could be more interesting developments overnight and early next week but I can't see it causing too many problems here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Can't see much coming from the events forecast tonight and tomorrow.

I got a bit excited a few minutes ago when I saw that the Met O had the region under a new advisory.

On closer inspection though it is no more than a couple of acres in the far NE of Cumbria, probably the top of Cross Fell thinking about it and unfortunately I think that they won't be far off the mark this time around.

Still time for upgrades I suppose but I can't see much chance of disruptive snow for the vast majority of the region, certainly for the next couple of days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Guess what? Its raining again lol

Posted

Brightening up now with a bit of sunshine and the temperatures are responding accordingly.

I would expect that most of last nights snow will be gone by sunset, even on the tops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

What did I say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

There is some strange cloud formation here:

post-16474-0-80366400-1363524957_thumb.j

Posted

Latest updates to the Met O. advisories bring the snow risk back towards the region with chances overnight and into Tuesday.

Tuesday especially could be interesting for the more eastern parts of the region with snow accompanied by gale force easterly winds.

Marginality may well be a major factor so altitude will help but these are certainly interesting synoptics for the time of year and could deliver a fair amount of snow for parts of the region with the Pennines probably taking a hammering.

Posted

Is there any chance of any thing tonight?

Possibly some wet snow in the form of showers overnight but without altitude it will probably be a sleety mess at best and as is the case with showers, some will miss out.

Posted

Possibly some wet snow in the form of showers overnight but without altitude it will probably be a sleety mess at best and as is the case with showers, some will miss out.

Nice ha ha I think I would rather it be dry and cold until we get some proper snow :-)

Posted

Nice ha ha I think I would rather it be dry and cold until we get some proper snow :-)

Yes that's the problem.

If it's snow which will stay around then I like to see it but if the only prospect is wet slush then I'd sooner have rain.

TBH the forecasts I've just seen are bullish for our chances over the next couple of days so maybe some on here will be surprised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

It felt cold outside now and my app says 6C I hardly believe that. 2C is the most precise temperature right now.

Posted

Current temperature here is 4.2C with dp 1.7C

Looking good for higher ground in Cumbria and Pennine areas for snow over the next couple of days.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1363478400

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

Posted

If its snow you're after those north of Lancaster and from Blackburn east look to be in for a good few days. Plenty of snow about this morning up towards Carnforth and north of that area. For those of us further west looking for some decent temps now, the garden still needs to dry out, the heavy rain of the last few days is once again sitting in puddles on the lawn.

Posted

I think we have a little bit of sleet, if not its very very fine rain! Temp about 3 degrees here now.

Posted

Temperature is down to 1'c here now so once the precipitation arrives from over the Pennines hopefully it will be white and not just wet.

Interestingly the radar shows the showers in the east now pivoting and starting to head towards our region with the forward edge now this side of Leeds so unless it slows or changes direction again I would expect it to reach here within a couple of hours.

Posted

Temperature is down to 1'c here now so once the precipitation arrives from over the Pennines hopefully it will be white and not just wet.

Interestingly the radar shows the showers in the east now pivoting and starting to head towards our region with the forward edge now this side of Leeds so unless it slows or changes direction again I would expect it to reach here within a couple of hours.

That's if the Pennines don't get it all.

Dew points now are also close to or at 0 so as long as they continue to fall you'd think there would be a better chance of snow in the early hours, especially in the east of the region.

This shows the precipitation pivoting nicely. http://www.meteo-mc.fr/~meteomc/Images/sat/sat_new_ireu.gif

Posted

That's if the Pennines don't get it all.

Don't think they will this time although the heaviest falls will be to the. NE of England I would have thought.

Posted

Don't think they will this time although the heaviest falls will be to the. NE of England I would have thought.

Fair enough, my phone app has gone with snow from 5am.

Posted

My apps going with snow and lots of it from 6am lol but i doubt it very much, we have clear skies here now.