Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 17th March 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Had a light snow shower earlier from that decaying shower to the south, started as sleet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

This is getting on my nerves regarding little or no snow here in the North-West, sooner we get into the warmer weather the better. I'm kind've jealous of Scotland and the East coast getting a pasting.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Its actually 7 degrees here after a cold night with frost, sunny spells and cloud

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Early yellow warning for the possible frontal snowfall on Friday & Saturday. Maybe upgraded to amber nearer the time.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=nw&from=rss&sn=DC993385-BF54-583B-256B-827C84AD4D74_1_NW&tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1363651200

Posted

Early yellow warning for the possible frontal snowfall on Friday & Saturday. Maybe upgraded to amber nearer the time.

http://www.metoffice...Time=1363651200

Looking like an event for high ground for most of our region.

Posted

Had a light snow shower earlier from that decaying shower to the south, started as sleet though.

it remained dry here all through yesterday and overnight, so that snow must have been very local indeed. Temperature here yesterday and last night stayed above freezing, albeit because of the extensive cloud cover.

By 630am this morning, the temperature dipped below freezing to -1.8C.

Through this morning, the temperature readily recovered to 7.1C. Since 1PM, the temperature as taken a dip to 4.7C, there is a distinct chilled feel to the air, though by no means is it windy.

Clouds have taken on a more 'whiter hew' from the drab grey clouds. The temperature drop as coincided with the change in cloud colour. Coincidence, I don't know.

The dewpoint has also fallen back down to 1.4C from 3C at mid day. Hopefully we will continue to see the temperature and dewpoint continue to fall.

Liverpool airport weather forecast. rain turning to snow, of which some of those showers could be of the heavy kind, at the moment the conclusion is that the snow will turn back to rain in the morning. It's very touch and go, if we do get snow showers, but just be aware, if we do get them, they could be on the heavy side at times.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looking like an event for high ground for most of our region.

The worse conditions will be over higher ground as usual but some surprises may occur even to lower levels due to evaporative cooling.

Posted

The worse conditions will be over higher ground as usual but some surprises may occur even to lower levels due to evaporative cooling.

Yes possibly. I think the biggest concern for me are the modelled upper air temps for Friday. Very marginal indeed, especially for the South of the region.

Both UKMO/GFS have a continuation of milder air pushing North. Whereas, ECM has the colder uppers pushing back South into the weekend.

UKMO

post-14390-0-09184500-1363707268_thumb.g

GFS

post-14390-0-60666100-1363707280_thumb.p

ECM

post-14390-0-38246000-1363707310_thumb.g

If the UKMO/GFS go the way of the ECM then I'd be more hopeful of seeing snow at low elevations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well what do you know,upgrade alert on the GFS 12Z most of the region seeing snow Thurs night/Friday

like a said last night more twists and turns

C.S

Yes possibly. I think the biggest concern for me are the modelled upper air temps for Friday. Very marginal indeed, especially for the South of the region.

Both UKMO/GFS have a continuation of milder air pushing North. Whereas, ECM has the colder uppers pushing back South into the weekend.

UKMO

post-14390-0-09184500-1363707268_thumb.g

GFS

post-14390-0-60666100-1363707280_thumb.p

ECM

post-14390-0-38246000-1363707310_thumb.g

If the UKMO/GFS go the way of the ECM then I'd be more hopeful of seeing snow at low elevations.

The GFS grants your wish

C.S

Posted

UKMO on board as well for friday,just need the ECM Full house and Bingo

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Those showers over the region atm, what are they falling as? Rain, sleet or snow?

Posted

Those showers over the region atm, what are they falling as? Rain, sleet or snow?

I just caught the edge of one and had a few drops of rain. Might be a different story under the heavier stuff.

Well what do you know,upgrade alert on the GFS 12Z most of the region seeing snow Thurs night/Friday

like a said last night more twists and turns

C.S

The GFS grants your wish

C.S

Just about to take a look at the 12Z's but sounds good. Cheers :)

Posted

Yeah I got a bit of rain aswell, how boring hoping to see some snow in the next few days traveling across the snake pass tomoz that could be fun.

Posted

God the MOD thread really pees me of at times,now got some people posting things like PPN wont make it pass the

M4 or wont reach as far as the midlands,get a life some people have had there fair share this winter,just because

it wont snow in London all the crap starts spouting out from down south

Now that is of my chest,i hope for once parts of a region make the headlines

C.S

Posted

Just reading Fergie's post in the MOD thread and it would imply that forecasters at the Met Office don't think the front will make such far progress North and East. Also, any snow will be short-lived and not amount to much.

It makes sense that if the front stalls and is held further South by the cold block then snowfall would indeed be minimal in the milder air.

My expectations have been extremely low so can't say I'm too disappointed. However, still a couple of days away so much can and probably will change. Enough time at least to perhaps be pleasantly surprised.

Posted

Just reading Fergie's post in the MOD thread and it would imply that forecasters at the Met Office don't think the front will make such far progress North and East. Also, any snow will be short-lived and not amount to much.

It makes sense that if the front stalls and is held further South by the cold block then snowfall would indeed be minimal in the milder air.

My expectations have been extremely low so can't say I'm too disappointed. However, still a couple of days away so much can and probably will change. Enough time at least to perhaps be pleasantly surprised.

Does state that he has not yet seen the 12z Data

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Does this potentially rule us out?, I mean that as in those of us further south of the region.

Still 24 to 36 hours away from knowing with any sort of certainty who will get what and how much of it from Friday's breakdown.

Personally I think that it will downgrade to an extent simply because it usually does but we are due an upgrade so this could be the time.

Posted

Does this potentially rule us out?, I mean that as in those of us further south of the region.

Would urge everyone to read John Holmes post in the MOD thread,this should give us all very usefull

information,very informative

C.S

12z ENS shows the front not reaching Aberdeen,no need to worry yet LOL

Edited by cheshire snow

Posted

Anyone see the national just now,you guys and girls north of Manchester look like getting a pasting

more wintry mix for southern regions

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Its not even remotely anything wintry here today or even the last few days. This morning its like a early summer's day with hazy sunshine and then some showers are breaking out during the afternoon. Its not felt like Winter at all here. Except for temperature difference compared to summer.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Anyone see the national just now,you guys and girls north of Manchester look like getting a pasting

more wintry mix for southern regions

C.S

Yeah just saw the forecast not sure if they use the 12Z or the earlier 0Z data for the evening forecast?

But did look very snowy in the North. I'm slightly North and West of Manchester, not sure I'll be North enough going by that forecast.

Posted

Yeah just saw the forecast not sure if they use the 12Z or the earlier 0Z data for the evening forecast?

But did look very snowy in the North. I'm slightly North and West of Manchester, not sure I'll be North enough going by that forecast.

You are in a good posistion to see snow

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow

Posted

You are in a good posistion to see snow

C.S

I suspect we shall have a clearer picture this time tomorrow. ECM looking very cold into next week. Spring continually being pushed back.