Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:30>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ - the link should work out if you are on tablet / mobile or not

also http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/

Perhaps if anyone else has any other useful radar sites they could post too. NW provide one - perhaps only for premium members tho

Edit - on a desktop / laptop it's good fun to zoom in to your location and see a detailed view of precip - even if it's accuracy is questionable

cheers for the links i already had meteoradar but didnt have the raintoday one it looks easier than meteo for picking intensity so think i will watch that one aswell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Been down in Falkland all day where it's been snowing heavily but isn't really lying yet. Back up here there's a light covering on the ground but there's more on east-facing vertical surfaces. Cold though at -0.7C.

Posted

The only hope i have is that last week we were totally outside the warning area and we got a good dump here's hoping that happens again

Posted

cheers for the links i already had meteoradar but didnt have the raintoday one it looks easier than meteo for picking intensity so think i will watch that one aswell

Cheggers sig link (thanks Cheggers) has the NW radar too, perhaps it's the forecast radar that is paid for

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Snow covering the road now, its been going at a moderate level for quite a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Showers looking more organised in the North Sea now and tracking in.

Light snow falling here for the last hour or so, really picking up and getting thrashed around in the wind.

Here is a screen grab of the Net Weather radar from 1615 to illustrate. Worth checking out folks, highly recommend it. Will the ATD lightning detector fire up over the next 24 hrs !!!

post-7292-0-25372600-1363624065_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Here's your map:

post-9298-0-12892500-1363623631_thumb.pn

! Main risk of disruptive snowfall. Expect 2+ inches for most if not all of this area by Tuesday noon, and don't be surprised to see 6-8 inches even to low ground. Routes in this area including the A90, M90 and mate may be impassible tomorrow rush hour with heavy snow falling so avoid travel unless absolutely necessary (or if this forecast goes bust of course).

1. Also likely to take a big hit, though with some caveats. Western parts of this area are hit and miss as far as precipitation is concerned, though should still see some accumulations overnight. Eastern parts are in a high risk zone on this one - potential for as much of more snow than in the red zone but with a greater risk of uppers turning marginal or at the very south precipitation being too light. Still expect 1-2 inches away from the coast and potentially much more.

The northern zone is at risk from a separate streamer setting up in the Moray Firth and this will be less marginal but less intense so up to about 3 inches for Inverness maximum if there's a direct hit.

2. Light blue zone, affected by showers but not as likely to be in the direct stream of them for large periods, similar expectations to zone 1 with perhaps less upside for accumulation because precipitation is likely to be much less intense here. Marginality only an issue at the immediate coast.

3. In the firing line for much of the night, though gradually becoming less intense as the focus shifts southwards. Likely to be a good covering here though with perhps less potential for rush hour disruption as in the red zone.

4. Coastal diceyness in the yellow zone, probably falling as snow but how well this will accumulate overnight is a tough judgement call and looks less likely the further south you go. East Lothian may be more sheltered than the Fife coast from the on shore winds which means more chance of accumulations here but a fluid snow accumulation line, which may end up as far south as suburban Edinburgh or pushed back into the sea at points.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I'm slightly edgy on this one. With convection you pretty much know what to expect - radar blob comes your way, dumps some stuff, and repeat. This more organised (we hope) stuff is showing plenty cloud coming in but apart from some light snow and graupel earlier on here, its possible it may not live up to expectations - well very locally anyway.

Ignore me... its just first-night nerves all over again wacko.png

Posted

Showers looking more organised in the North Sea now and tracking in.

Light snow falling here for the last hour or so, really picking up and getting thrashed around in the wind.

Here is a screen grab of the Net Weather radar from 1615 to illustrate. Worth checking out folks, highly recommend it. Will the ATD lightning detector fire up over the next 24 hrs !!!

post-7292-0-25372600-1363624065_thumb.pn

Great stuff, right now those showers are dying as they hit land so hopefully we'll see them getting more intense as night falls

Posted

Fine powdery snow has started to fall in the last twenty minutes, currently 0.5c and a moderate NE wind. Flakes getting larger

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

I'm slightly edgy on this one. With convection you pretty much know what to expect - radar blob comes your way, dumps some stuff, and repeat. This more organised (we hope) stuff is showing plenty cloud coming in but apart from some light snow and graupel earlier on here, its possible it may not live up to expectations - well very locally anyway.

BT-I think the fact the fact it's snow now, even in these light, intermittent flurries is possibly a good sign but uppers right on the margin overnight into tomorrow

Posted

Here's your map:

post-9298-0-12892500-1363623631_thumb.pn

! Main risk of disruptive snowfall. Expect 2+ inches for most if not all of this area by Tuesday noon, and don't be surprised to see 6-8 inches even to low ground. Routes in this area including the A90, M90 and mate may be impassible tomorrow rush hour with heavy snow falling so avoid travel unless absolutely necessary (or if this forecast goes bust of course).

1. Also likely to take a big hit, though with some caveats. Western parts of this area are hit and miss as far as precipitation is concerned, though should still see some accumulations overnight. Eastern parts are in a high risk zone on this one - potential for as much of more snow than in the red zone but with a greater risk of uppers turning marginal or at the very south precipitation being too light. Still expect 1-2 inches away from the coast and potentially much more.

The northern zone is at risk from a separate streamer setting up in the Moray Firth and this will be less marginal but less intense so up to about 3 inches for Inverness maximum if there's a direct hit.

2. Light blue zone, affected by showers but not as likely to be in the direct stream of them for large periods, similar expectations to zone 1 with perhaps less upside for accumulation because precipitation is likely to be much less intense here. Marginality only an issue at the immediate coast.

3. In the firing line for much of the night, though gradually becoming less intense as the focus shifts southwards. Likely to be a good covering here though with perhps less potential for rush hour disruption as in the red zone.

4. Coastal diceyness in the yellow zone, probably falling as snow but how well this will accumulate overnight is a tough judgement call and looks less likely the further south you go. East Lothian may be more sheltered than the Fife coast from the on shore winds which means more chance of accumulations here but a fluid snow accumulation line, which may end up as far south as suburban Edinburgh or pushed back into the sea at points.

nice to see me in the high risk area for a change maybe i will get my biggest fall of the winter/spring

Posted

Well...

Encouraged by LSS's map, and it's been snowing an hour or so already, but not settling... yet!!

Fingers crossed for a really decent haul this evening and tomorrow... good luck to all and commiserations for those that miss out!

Tim

Edited by TinyTim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Snow starting to settle on grass, soil, cars and greenhouse roof...concrete far too wet. Seems to be convective with snow on and off, quite heavy at times and accompanied by snow pellets. The wet-bulb is sitting at 0.0C already. 0.4/0.0/-1C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Not a patch on your map LS.

This update @@liamduttonfrom going for 5-10 cms at low levels.

post-7292-0-43866600-1363625030_thumb.jp

Posted

u can see the really heavy stuff building in the eastern north sea

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/satellite_UK_and_Ireland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It's understandable - I always hate it when there's actually an orange warning out and feel more confident when there's nothing. I think temperatures are likely to head down in the next hour or two to around or just below 1C and stay about that through the night, Tomorrow's temperature will be dependent on the intensity of the snow but could hold at 1C for most of the day given good intensity.

Speaking of which it's coming down thick and fast at the moment here, starting to settle on cars and some whitening on the grass. It'll take quite a lot for it to lie on tarmac though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Lobbing it down here in East Lothian, accumulating at the side of the A1

Posted

moderate snow just started to fall here will let u know if it settles but i doubt it will just yet