Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:30>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Aye, theres always quite a spread of possibilities, all the way from a lot of something to a lot of nothing !

Long way to go yet though, fingers crossed...

I wouldn't be surprised if this all came to nothing rofl.gif

Posted

Blowing light snow here in Embra city-centre but no intensity to it. But baltic outside though... and as things stand if it got its act together I'd be expecting further snow rather than sleet.

Yes, surprising tbh although DP's and uppers look at their best about now, Embra is in the Amber Zone and the Chief Forecaster doesn't talk about coastal marginality in his assessment

(they usually do!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

So I'm in the new Amber Warning area, well that's just killed off my chances of seeing significant snow then. rolleyes.gif

I did like this....

"especially over upland areas above 150 metres where blizzard conditions are expected"

so 150m is considered "upland" now?

Forgetting about the potential for later, the now is rather unexciting. Temps seem to have steadied out at around 2/-0.8, with virtually no precipitation, snow or otherwise. One good thing about that is, at least the ground seems to be drying up a bit, so if anything incoming is snow it might have a better chance of lying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yes, surprising tbh although DP's and uppers look at their best about now, Embra is in the Amber Zone and the Chief Forecaster doesn't talk about coastal marginality in his assessment

(they usually do!)

Two factors which maybe mean coastal marginality from the early hours of tomorrow onwards may be less of a factor than uppers would suggest - predicted intensity, which is, unlikely at the moment, forecast to be heavy-very heavy and persistent, and time of day, so when the heaviest stuff hits it will be around 3-5am which mean we won't have to work against the sun.

From 3am onwards we're looking at rates of 1-2mmph on average, so into the greens and yellows on the radar, which will kick temperatures down and keep them there through the morning:

13031909_1806.gif

My walk out to KB at half eight in the morning is going to be especially fun!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Chief Forecaster ? You mean LS, right ? laugh.png

(they usually do!)

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

I wouldn't be surprised if this all came to nothing rofl.gif

sssshhhhhhhhhhh dont say that lol

Posted

Two factors which maybe mean coastal marginality from the early hours of tomorrow onwards may be less of a factor than uppers would suggest - predicted intensity, which is, unlikely at the moment, forecast to be heavy-very heavy and persistent, and time of day, so when the heaviest stuff hits it will be around 3-5am which mean we won't have to work against the sun.

From 3am onwards we're looking at rates of 1-2mmph on average, so into the greens and yellows on the radar, which will kick temperatures down and keep them there through the morning:

13031909_1806.gif

My walk out to KB at half eight in the morning is going to be especially fun!

Cheers LS, might a call for schools in the morning it has settled and is coming down at a rate of knots!

Posted

(they usually do!)

Where can you find the chief forecasters assessment?

Thanks

Posted

Where can you find the chief forecasters assessment?

Thanks

On the Met Offices website on the warnings page. Bit of a dinosaur so can"t provide link

Posted

On the Met Offices website on the warnings page. Bit of a dinosaur so can"t provide link

How did I miss that!!!!!

Cheers

Posted

Just for practice from the dinosaur http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1363564800

Posted

would anyone like to help with a specific forecast?

Date: Monday 18/03

Time: 20:00

Venue: Gilmerton, S Edinburgh

I am thinking (guessing) that at the very least - wet snow is nailed on. However, it is in respect of outdoor

5-a-side football so I would be interested to know the chances of lying snow before then ie game off. A stab in the dark at ETA of lying snow would also be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by ploughboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

would anyone like to help with a specific forecast?

Date: Monday 18/03

Time: 20:00

Venue: Gilmerton, S Edinburgh

I am thinking (guessing) that at the very least - wet snow is nailed on. However, it is in respect of outdoor

5-a-side football so I would be interested to know the chances of lying snow before then ie game off. A stab in the dark at ETA of lying snow would also be much appreciated.

Thanks

My guess would be 6-7pm for when the snow starts to lie this evening, so it's touch and go as to whether there'll be a covering by that time. Certainly likely to be fairly intense snow falling around that time too with temperatures 0-1C so pretty grim in any case.

Posted

liking the look of this its showing sum heavy stuff for tomorrow

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/forecastloop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

temp now 2/0.2 temp dropping but slowly, wish it would hurry up a bit biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Wow - an updated warning to Amber. In March ! Bewildering.

Heavy, overladen grey skies now and a fine misty sleety snizzle is falling with snow in the mix.

Here we go folks..

Posted

is it just me or are we having a radar problem again there seems to be a line coming out where the border is where the stuff to the south is heavier than the stuff to the north

Posted

awesome LS - thanks

If I drive home from the beauty of a winter wonderland to mush in N Edinburgh I shall be TTORCing big time - fascinating period of model / radar watching to come all the same. Good luck to the Westies too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

12z NAE depicts a pasting...

post-7292-0-36000100-1363617018_thumb.gi post-7292-0-16704700-1363617022_thumb.gi

NMM illustrates a chaotic rush hour for traffic, would imagine advice will be out not to travel unless required, blizzard conditions at 0700 hrs.

post-7292-0-55164800-1363617156_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-84235000-1363617168_thumb.pn

Have tweeted Ian F to see if he can give any further insight from the UKMO on totals etc..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Alloa certainly seems to have brightened up and become less 'murky', could be as the colder temperatures kick in. Tomorrow is certainly looking awesome if it comes off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Precipitation seeming to beef up a bit on the radar now to the north and east of Aberdeen. Still nothing too heavy falling out of the sky in Dyce but the last light shower did leave slumped, slushy looking deposits on the bottom of the car windscreens. It's a start I suppose. smile.png