Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:30>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Rain in lochgelly this morning and in Alloa although the temperature has fallen a degree or so in the last hour. Should think by 11am we should be close to a degree or so of freezing. The next two days look amazing! Bring it on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Uppers at points as high as -6C south of the Forth overnight which isn't optimal but with organised persistent and heavy precipitation and -8C uppers preceding this I think we should stave off the worst of the marginality. Inland Fife, Dundee, Angus and Aberdeenshire perhaps the sweet spots along with those areas which catch the showed further inland like Perthshire and Stirling (and more towards West Lothian-Lanarkshire-Borders as the evening progresses) and these areas are likely to catch upwards of 4 inches. Edinburgh will probably be subject to usual boundaries as far as lying snow goes but since convective potential will remain into Wednesday when we have some uppers which are easily on the right side of -8C even down at Leith or in Crail we might see a covering of snow develop by Wednesday morning.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Ground absolutely saturated this morning, will be no sowing here until at least 4 or 5 days of drying winds and that looks a long way off. Very raw too .Will just be feeding and bedding cattle all day.

Seems the boundary between spring like weather and winter weather is much further south and west than in many previous Marches so we are becoming more like western Scandinavia with winter conditions hanging on till April

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Last nights snaw gone. 2.3 C

Fingers crossed for later today into tomorrow. NAE looks nice certainly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Couple of shots of last nights Aurora - cloud blocking off part of the horizon.

These from the Eoropie tearoom Fbook page which is a great source of weather related stories, whether space weather as below or Atlantic Beasties sweeping through.

post-7292-0-45516400-1363597469_thumb.jppost-7292-0-84392500-1363597459_thumb.jppost-7292-0-15753200-1363597463_thumb.jppost-7292-0-74541100-1363597480_thumb.jp

Feeling quite raw out there on the school run, a fair bit breezier than previously.

Posted

Currently down to 1.6ºC/-0.6ºC so just need some precip and we should be cooking up something white.

Temp here still +4c/2c. Still running about 2c higher than forecast. Met had 2c for 9am when I checked earlier.

Posted

Stil light rain here but just passed the gritters depot where a line if 7 or 8 are being filled and ready to get out on the roads. Temps must be beginning to fall off tease.gif

Had the misfortune of 2 gritters passing me on my cycle to work. That stuff's not pleasant when the wind whips it into your face!

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Super wet, breezy and grey here this morning - temp 3C. Not sure what we could see here tonight/tomorrow, but finger crossed its not more of this wet, dreich poop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Aye, their temperature forecasts are off, but its always the case. I never put any trust in them anyway, whether its above or below what they say:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/edinburgh_forecast_weather.html

The problem with these type of forecasts, is that they dont't even bother to nowcast just by reading the thermometer or looking out of the window, Been too many times - especially in these easterly situations - where they say black is white, even when the evidence of our own eyes contradicts what they're saying.

Anyway, whats for us will no go past us ...or however the saying goes again smile.png

Temp here still +4c/2c. Still running about 2c higher than forecast. Met had 2c for 9am when I checked earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

1.2C and rain has turned to snow.

Scotster - am beginning to think you live in Svalbard !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Early sleety rain turned to snow at around 8:15am in Kemnay. It was making an attempt to lie on the grass but after a quite miserably wet weekend it was struggling. In fact it's so wet out there it's hard to believe that anything could lie today. It was also noticeable on the way into work this morning that the temp gauge on the car showed 1degC all the way from Kemnay to Dyce, so the wind has done it's job of mixing the surface air cos there's usually a couple of degrees difference. Rain/sleet/snow stopped for the moment.

I'm spot on the Met-O forecast and a good 1ºC+ below the GFS forecast. The temp surely has to drop for you soon good.gif

It's been a drizzle to slizzle to snizzle event here in the last hour, if this intensifies it's going to be snow. Radar looks like orographic uplift is kicking in across the Lammermuirs :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

LS I take it Penicuik should be far enough inland and high enough to remain an all snow event?

I would think so PB, not sure LSS is around to answer but maybe he can give a more definitive answer? good.gif

Edit: He's here somewhere since he just liked Hiya's post :lol:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I would think so PB, not sure LSS is around to answer but maybe he can give a more definitive answer? good.gif

Edit: He's here somewhere since he just liked Hiya's post :lol:

On a bus at the moment, but yeah, Penicuik should be well placed I'd imagine. Might do a wee drawing in the afternoon once I'm back in from lectures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Heavy rain and quite miserable in...not Inverness, but Rome!

Occasional snow starting in Inverness according to various Facebook updates; I fly back to Aberdeen airport on Tuesday afternoon, just in time for the disruptive snow...lucky me!

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

T is 1.9c here at the moment, slushy/snizzle/rain...freezing in the strong wind. Not sure if we will catch much although the hills surrounding are getting whiter and the snow line is dropping.

Posted

Incidentally precipitation on the turn here too, soft hail here.