Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:30>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Starting to get the slightest of coverings on the grass! It is slow going though since each shower only last about 5 seconds.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

bbc24 forecast says snow even at lower levels and likely to be significant drifting in the wind

Posted

Alloa certainly seems to have brightened up and become less 'murky', could be as the colder temperatures kick in. Tomorrow is certainly looking awesome if it comes off.

Hard to contain my excitement at the moment! Fine snow flakes blowing in the wind now. drinks.gif

Posted

Wet, very fast snow now falling in Dundee City. Some lying on the grass and cars which is surprising given how wet they are.

It's going to be pretty nasty overnight I think given the winds. Not pleasant at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Hard to contain my excitement at the moment! Fine snow flakes blowing in the wind now. drinks.gif

Just looked out the window and its good to see! Looking forward to staying in fife tomorrow if the amber alerts come to fruition! Edited by tempestwatch

Posted

what GFS 12z says we should expect for the next 36 hours

post-18233-0-00728400-1363621397_thumb.ppost-18233-0-61705000-1363621403_thumb.ppost-18233-0-15378100-1363621394_thumb.ppost-18233-0-02167700-1363621415_thumb.ppost-18233-0-18530200-1363621421_thumb.ppost-18233-0-10132700-1363621420_thumb.p

Posted

Light snow flurries in Leith / Trinity - no sign of raindrops in the last hour or so right down to sea level - surely grounds for optimism

Posted

Nothing at all here in Stirling at the moment - brightened up over the last couple of hours compared to this morning but cloud beginning to build from the East if I look out of the window. Quite excited for prospects over the next 24/48 hours...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Snowing here as well. Not currently lying, but for the first time today it actually looks like its thinking about it!

Posted

i was expecting the snow to be much heavier than it actually has come to so far going by the charts and the forecast. very light snow in aberdeen now.

Posted

what UKMO 12z says for next 36 hours

post-18233-0-12925600-1363621837_thumb.gpost-18233-0-23033300-1363621843_thumb.gpost-18233-0-41583300-1363621843_thumb.gpost-18233-0-63051100-1363621864_thumb.gpost-18233-0-95059000-1363621870_thumb.gpost-18233-0-67423000-1363621895_thumb.g

i was expecting the snow to be much heavier than it actually has come to so far going by the charts and the forecast. very light snow in aberdeen now.

it should get a bit heavier this evening with the heavier stuff early morning and through tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Was thinking the same, perhaps once the colder uppers push in the showers will intensify? If I am wrong please correct meblush.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Some decent bands starting to move through into eastern Scotland at the moment heading west and intensifying as they move inland. Not excessively heavy yet but it will intensify further overnight and moreso by early tomorrow morning.

Posted

Hi LSS,

After your last prediction being spot on about the last snow event in my area a few weeks ago I just wondered what your thoughts were on tonight and tomorrow in Prestonpans?

Was very surprised to see us in the metoffice amber warning area being beside the forth with all this talk off rain/sleet at the east coast but then again I suppose we aren't on the immediate east coast as such.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Posted

raintoday radar showing increased activity in the north sea with more organised precip moving in - still not the dark orange we hope for but good to see. Strong breeze in N Edinburgh and snow in the air

Posted

Was thinking the same, perhaps once the colder uppers push in the showers will intensify? If I am wrong please correct meblush.png

the colder uppers certainly aid in convection but LS will tell u better if u are right in this type of set up.

raintoday radar showing increased activity in the north sea with more organised precip moving in - still not the dark orange we hope for but good to see. Strong breeze in N Edinburgh and snow in the air

can u post a link for that radar plz

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ - the link should work out if you are on tablet / mobile or not

also http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/

Perhaps if anyone else has any other useful radar sites they could post too. NW provide one - perhaps only for premium members tho

Edit - on a desktop / laptop it's good fun to zoom in to your location and see a detailed view of precip - even if it's accuracy is questionable

Edited by ploughboy

Posted

really fine snow starting to fall here now and defo feeling colder outside

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ - the link should work out if you are on tablet / mobile or not

also http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/

Perhaps if anyone else has any other useful radar sites they could post too. NW provide one - perhaps only for premium members tho

Use the link in my Sig for all things weather related. The tool has links to all forecast sites, several radar's and a wealth of other links.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Beginning to get going here now. Showers are becoming more frequent and heavier, with it all snow rather than the earlier sleety mix. Cars, grass etc starting to keep a covering, although the roads & car park still pretty clear (and they can stay like that until I get home).

Posted

Skies have been mostly overcast and grey like they have been throughout the weekend with only a few brighter pockets just now. There's been a mix of rain/sleet and some snow flurries . Judging by various charts, forecasts and warnings by the Met office some parts are going to see a lot of snow during the next 24hrs. Eastern areas such as the Lothians, the Edinburgh and Dundee areas, and parts of Fife, Stirlingshire, the Borders, Tayside and Grampian and parts of Lanarkshire are in prime position to see some persistent, quite heavy snow driven by a brisk easterly wind which should make for bitter and possibly chaotic conditions. Most of the significant accumilations will be on the high ground where depths could exceed 30cm plus drifting, but inland lowland areas could see accumilations of a few inches or more which is quite impressive for this stage in the season. Some of the higher routes along the M-8 minor roads of the Borders and other elevated roads such as the pass of the Carin O'Mount could have very poor driving conditions and settlements above 100m could have a distruptive start to Tuesday morning. Further west, in Glasgow and the surrounding regions, there should be at least a few flurries making it through the Forth-Clyde valley and perhaps more persistent snow in eastern regions such as North Lanarkshire. For my own region, as always East Dunbartonshire's central location means that it's the middle of the action (on either side of the central belt during convective easterlies or westerlies) so it's hard to judge how much activity there'll be here. It's likely that there should be some snow in the area which will be nice to see this late in the season, but any measurable snow-depth would be the latest I've ever seen here. Anyway, regardless of what happens here it sure is going to be an active couple of days for parts of the country and pretty notable too given how late we are into March and another thing to keep an eye on is the maximum/minimum temperature values which could be exceptionally cold for this time of year.