Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 21/03/13 09z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Now steady moderate rain here. :( Okay, hardly unexpected, but it's still unpleasant to watch the remaining snow being slushed away. and it's horrible to be out in as well.

Posted

Now steady moderate rain here. sad.png Okay, hardly unexpected, but it's still unpleasant to watch the remaining snow being slushed away. and it's horrible to be out in as well.

Making it nice and wet for tonight's snow to settle on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Nice to have another local on board Bigsnow good.gif, yes drift's have held on around here for the last few weeks under the walls and hollows.

I feel like a minnow next to you guys up high in Derby! However even here in West Malvern the added altitude does have an effect, we're frequently in different conditions from those 100m lower down. We face due west and are sheltered from the Easterly by the Hill behind the house, but then we get the full brunt of the W or SW gales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Making it nice and wet for tonight's snow to settle on

? No thats not a good thing. wacko.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Nice to have another local on board Bigsnow good.gif, yes drift's have held on around here for the last few weeks under the walls and hollows.

Yes we seem to be in a snow trap here as 4 miles down the road its been nothing like as bad this winter that 200/300ft extra asl really does seem to be the big difference..good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Have a peek at the radar, the Isle of Man must be getting battered!!Lucky so and so's.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Updated warning from METO..

Issued at:

1059 on Fri 22 Mar 2013

Valid from:

1400 on Fri 22 Mar 2013

Valid to:

0600 on Sat 23 Mar 2013

A band of heavy rain spreading northwards across the UK has turned to snow in many parts, with some heavy and persistent snowfall likely to develop through the period into Saturday morning. High ground may see snow accumulations of 20-40 cm in places, with drifting and blizzard conditions due to the strong to gale force southeasterly winds. At lower levels, 10-15 cm of snow is likely in places.

The public should be aware of the potential for severe disruption to transport and to power supplies.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Met office have updated their warnings for this afternoon into Saturday. Amber warning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Updated warning from METO..

Issued at:

1059 on Fri 22 Mar 2013

Valid from:

1400 on Fri 22 Mar 2013

Valid to:

0600 on Sat 23 Mar 2013

A band of heavy rain spreading northwards across the UK has turned to snow in many parts, with some heavy and persistent snowfall likely to develop through the period into Saturday morning. High ground may see snow accumulations of 20-40 cm in places, with drifting and blizzard conditions due to the strong to gale force southeasterly winds. At lower levels, 10-15 cm of snow is likely in places.

The public should be aware of the potential for severe disruption to transport and to power supplies.

Oh happy days best get to the pub while i still can, nice and warm in the pub....( thats what i tell the wife) drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'd be VERY cautious over depths from this event. Chris Fawkes latest forecast just showed on news 24, or in his words 'snow will turn to rain over 'Wales & West Midlands this afternoon' which the graphic showed from around 1-5pm. Last night the road was wet and thus we had 2-3CM snow accumulated, when around 7 or 8CM probably fell. The second a car drove over this and people walked on the pathways everything turned to slush. I'd expect tonight to be a carbon copy of last night.

The later the better the snow comes. Less people on the road then.

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Posted

Nothing at all in leics now. Just dull and grey.

Can anyone here from Coventry give me an update as to how conditions are there and what is expected overnight pls?

Posted

Oh happy days best get to the pub while i still can, nice and warm in the pub....( thats what i tell the wife) drinks.gif

Im all stocked up here with essentials, Gin + tonic for later... Will be going out for a swim in the snow this afternoon to.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I'd be VERY cautious over depths from this event. Chris Fawkes latest forecast just showed on news 24, or in his words 'snow will turn to rain over 'Wales & West Midlands this afternoon' which the graphic showed from around 1-5pm. Last night the road was wet and thus we had 2-3CM snow accumulated, when around 7 or 8CM probably fell. The second a car drove over this and people walked on the pathways everything turned to slush. I'd expect tonight to be a carbon copy of last night.

Tonight is a different set up , we have cold air undercutting the ppn , last night was always going to be a marginal slushy affair , the bbc said b'ham northwards , especially higher up , that's what happened , by brother lives in frankly and has had 4 inches , tonight we have a much less marginal event , with snow expected much further south into Gloucester and Oxford , and further south , so once the temps and due pints drop this evening it should have no problem settling . Tomorrow morning will be a very snowy picture for the whole midlands .

Posted

It will be an all snow event overnight for the bulk of the Midlands as upper 850's down to -8c and Dp/wind chill will be much colder than last night.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

well clubbing looks like a big no tonight, looks like ill be forced to just get some whiskey in and watch this amazing weather event unfold!

more confident about tonights event than last nights even though we still got a good 5 cm at least, bring on the colder uppers and heavier precipitation!

Posted

Here's hoping your correct chaps! Last night many were suggesting tonight was as marginal as last!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

About time we resurrected the EAST Midlands thread, isn't it, mods?

WHY cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

Hi, I mentioned earlier I am travelling up tonight to Nottingham and tomorrow we have 3 coaches with girls on leaving Croydon at 745am are we still expecting snow or have we had a downgrade

Posted

It's turned back from rain to sleet here; surprising. I'm still expecting mostly rain today, at least during daylight hours.

I am wondering what tonight will bring for us in Wyre forest, as much as I like snow, I've had enough now, especially as Saturday is normally my shops busy day :(