Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Snow falling from 5am to 130pm, but total accumulation 0cm, even though several inches reported within a short radius to north, south, east and west. Crap again.

Posted

I think 1947 was the snowier winter down here, so my dad says. Snow lay for 5-6 weeks in south west. So although up north it's been epic in parts for end March, not a patch on 47 for longevity.

Posted

Good evening all, amazing watching the news just now! But just to give everyone a little bit of hope for us down here have a look at the link, it got the the last snow forecat right for down here so at least we have something to clutch lol scroll to tuesday and wednesday http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/forecastloop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I have been looking at my butterfly records for the last couple of years and it is normally around this time (well any when from the middle of March onwards) that I record the first butterflies coming out of hibernation and will be on the look-out for the first orange tips that have hatched out. I can see it will be a lot later this year, far too cold, lack of sun and the food sources haven't appeared yet.

Also I would have been out on my bike most days working off the winter podge, looks like its staying with me abit longer this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

ECM1-168.GIF

Very much in FI for our purposes, but this would bring heavy snowfall to much of South-Western and Southern England as it tracked eastwards, as both the uppers and dewpoints would still be sub zero by a fair margin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

I have been looking at my butterfly records for the last couple of years and it is normally around this time (well any when from the middle of March onwards) that I record the first butterflies coming out of hibernation and will be on the look-out for the first orange tips that have hatched out. I can see it will be a lot later this year, far too cold, lack of sun and the food sources haven't appeared yet.

Also I would have been out on my bike most days working off the winter podge, looks like its staying with me abit longer this year!

Saw a couple of butterflies back a few weeks ago when things were milder. Cant exactly remember now but i think they where S.torts

Posted

I've kind of had enough of this weather now. Grey, Dull, cold days with only light drizzle aren't something which wets my apatite. Probably the dullest weather combination ever.

Please just bbring on some warmth now!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Can anyone from the Southampton area report what type of precip has formed in that area in the last hour? Any reports?

Posted

Can anyone from the Southampton area report what type of precip has formed in that area in the last hour? Any reports?

Just checked, but it's just horrible, cold drizzle at the moment.

Posted

Just checked, but it's just horrible, cold drizzle at the moment.

Yeah am just up the road here and nothing,pepped up a bit in the last half hr according to radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Christ did anyone just see the scenes from Cumbria on the news, 20ft drift the reporter was standing next to, cars buried, just the roofs visible, if I didn't know better I'd have thought those scenes were from 62/63!

well I heard that this march is on course to being the coldest since 62.....and you all know what happened the next winter, even Torpoint got snow!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A quick summary for the week ahead across the South West then.

Tomorrow looks like a cloudy, dull and very cold day for late March. Temperatures will struggle to get above freezing in northern and eastern parts of the region, whilst along the south coast and down in the far south west they will be no better than mid single figures;

post-12721-0-42519300-1364067024_thumb.j

This is due to colder air filtering south from the east/north east;

post-12721-0-42478000-1364067056_thumb.jpost-12721-0-51462400-1364067062_thumb.j

As mentioned, it will be cloudy everywhere;

post-12721-0-90457100-1364067094_thumb.j

Temperatures tomorrow night look like going below freezing widely away from the coast;

post-12721-0-53499200-1364067168_thumb.j

However, due to cloud cover a frost looks limited. Monday looks like carrying on in the same vain, with temperatures widely in low single figures, again a little higher in the far South West;

post-12721-0-88069200-1364067248_thumb.j

As the colder air continues to sink south;

post-12721-0-37648800-1364067274_thumb.jpost-12721-0-14147500-1364067280_thumb.j

The windchill just exasperating matters, making it feel like January rather than late March;

post-12721-0-62259600-1364067355_thumb.j

Cloudy again for most, although a hint of brightness might appear lea of high ground.

Anther cold night and cold start to Tuesday, and with slightly more sporadic cloudcover, a few places may see a frost, a harsh one at that too;

post-12721-0-61153800-1364067476_thumb.j

And rather than continue to post charts of the same nature, I'll just say ditto Wednesday and Thursday too. Cold, often cloudy with limited bright spells around. Some frosts where cloud breaks at night. The cold exasperated by a noticeable windchill. Remaining predominately dry.

Friday could see a change in the weather approach. Not a change in the temperature no, but it may turn wet or white, dependant on how the below shortwave interacts with the cold air over the UK. The ECM and UKMO push a front into the South West, aligned in such a way that this would bring snowfall to the South West;

post-12721-0-29137600-1364067748_thumb.jpost-12721-0-47391300-1364067759_thumb.j

This shortwave then splits from its parent depression and forms a near channel low feature over the weekend, bringing the risk of some significant snowfall to the south;

post-12721-0-03859900-1364067874_thumb.j

So one too watch for now. I won't go into no further detail yet, as its such a way out that its just speculation currently. For those wanting spring warmth and convective activity, like myself, there is zilch on offer, not even right out in FI. Absolutely nothing at all I can offer this side of roughy 5th April. There is unanimous model agreement on a prolonged and unseasonable period of cold weather now, with good support for this to continue well into April.

So basically its not spring, its still winter. Cold and dry will sum up the working week ahead with interest for snow lovers at the end of the week.

Those wanting spring warmth, take a holiday, as there is going to be nothing of the sort this week for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Just started lightly snowing again ,only light and small but wind also getting up ,iv also noticed a few speckles on radar around IOW and Dorset.im of to IOW on monday for 4day break with wife so we will have to wrap up warm .anything incoming next week should fall as snow so we are in with a chance ,you never know something might pop up overnight .i must admit its brilliant weather up north and centrall parts especially seeing its getting to the end of March .its going to be an interesting time watching and seeing what happens in the world of nature ,plants animals insects etc this year .if we get a very cold april which is possible and a wet cold summer things in the human world would become dire as well .we could do with a long warm summer but with sprinklings of rain for the crops .food prices are rapidly rising and iv noticed meat prices are absolutely expensive .a chicken i find is a good bet with a £4 cheap chicken feeding four people with some roast pot and veg .do the same with a beef joint and its double .i refuse to pay it especially being an ex butcher oh well had my moan ,Tonights charts are still full of interest for us weather fanatics ,cheers gang drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

So, my predicted white Easter is looking increasingly likely?

Winter 2013/14 will be the new 1947.....you heard it here first folks blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Where's GTLTW lately?

Thought he would have graced us with his presence and commentary on the little snow Newbury got today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

So, my predicted white Easter is looking increasingly likely?

Winter 2013/14 will be the new 1947.....you heard it here first folks blum.gif

Could you predict me a lovely sunny, warm and dry summer please?

Posted

Saw a couple of butterflies back a few weeks ago when things were milder. Cant exactly remember now but i think they where S.torts

I haven't seen anything yet. We had a lovely day a couple of weeks ago, sunny and 15c and I did go out and check. I was glad that nothing was about as I knew the weather was going to get cold again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Where's GTLTW lately?

Thought he would have graced us with his presence and commentary on the little snow Newbury got today.

Yes I was wondering too why he hadn't popped his head around the door .

Posted

Where's GTLTW lately?

Been a member for years but rarely post; mostly just spectate - decided I should try to a bit more! Anyway not exactly Newbury but close enough and today was a really nice surprise. No more than an inch and there's only a patchy covering of less than a cm or so left on the ground now, but it was good whilst it lasted (and the roads were terrible for a couple of hours). Just to the east (hills around Farnham, Surrey and where I used to live) went for a walk in snow that was at least 3 inches and still coming down really heavy around lunchtime. I miss not living there anymore :(

Good luck to everyone over the next few days - surprises are always possible at short notice when it's this cold :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

I would be telling a lie if I said I was pleased for our northern and Welsh friends because I am not, I am jealous and 1 days snowfall from what has been a good winter potentially is not going to have me jumping through hoops. 2 weeks ago too far south now too far north if next weekend does not deliver it will be the final nail in the coffin of another poor winter in Bristol. Sorry for lack of paragraphs windows 8 does not allow me to hit the return keyfool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Could you predict me a lovely sunny, warm and dry summer please?

I'm praying. Does that count?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I would be telling a lie if I said I was pleased for our northern and Welsh friends because I am not, I am jealous and 1 days snowfall from what has been a good winter potentially is not going to have me jumping through hoops. 2 weeks ago too far south now too far north if next weekend does not deliver it will be the final nail in the coffin of another poor winter in Bristol. Sorry for lack of paragraphs windows 8 does not allow me to hit the return keyfool.gif

I'm not pleased for them, like you say if we miss out at the end of the week I give up completely. Problem is, when its systems coming in off the Atlantic, we need to be the correct side of marginal in January, never mind March! I don't hold out much hope. New I should have been a ski instructor

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

I'm praying. Does that count?

It all helps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

I'm not pleased for them, like you say if we miss out at the end of the week I give up completely. Problem is, when its systems coming in off the Atlantic, we need to be the correct side of marginal in January, never mind March! I don't hold out much hope. New I should have been a ski instructor

Dont think i've ever been on the right side of marginalblum.gif

Your frustrated,try living down here!!