Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

L

Option C although I think we'll get rain and wind, I don't min as long as its a good storm ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

The problem is that the EC, UKMO and to a lesser degree, the GFS Op all signal a similiar pattern of the depression deepening and pushing further north giving us nothing more than another bout of cold rain.

Now is it a case of the higher res Op runs catching onto something that the lower res ens have failed to catch, or just a morning where the Op runs are too bullish with the northern extent if the pattern. The 12z should give us a good idea here.

Either way, they all signal a cold and predominantly dry working week ahead with uncertainty surrounding the end of the week. We could see:

Option A; The low deepen and push further north giving us cold rain then becoming milder but still wet.

Option B; The low attack the embedded cold air over the UK more slowly and less progressively than what the Op runs show this morning giving a snowfall across the South but not lasting long before further fronts push NE and introduce milder air and rain.

Option C; The low ejects a shortwave east along the channel giving a significant snowfall to the south with the low disrupting and sliding under the block keeping us cold with a snowy Easter weekend.

Place your bets now!!!!

Option C ,better book a ticket for the channel islands!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

L

Option C although I think we'll get rain and wind, I don't min as long as its a good storm tease.gif

If option C occurs then it is far more likely that we will get snow than rain, even down here, since the dew points will be very low and the cold air will be embedded at lower levels, regardless of the upper air temperatures (though it really does help if the upper air temperatures are at -2 or below)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Option C please Bob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I've just been outside for a ciggie, went to wipe off the soggy bench only to realise the wet is frozen solid. Literally every thing is glazed with a thin layer of ice, the patio is lethal! Biting wind too, looks like it's going to be a rather chilly walk up on top of the hills today cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

The problem is that the EC, UKMO and to a lesser degree, the GFS Op all signal a similiar pattern of the depression deepening and pushing further north giving us nothing more than another bout of cold rain.

Now is it a case of the higher res Op runs catching onto something that the lower res ens have failed to catch, or just a morning where the Op runs are too bullish with the northern extent if the pattern. The 12z should give us a good idea here.

Either way, they all signal a cold and predominantly dry working week ahead with uncertainty surrounding the end of the week. We could see:

Option A; The low deepen and push further north giving us cold rain then becoming milder but still wet.

Option B; The low attack the embedded cold air over the UK more slowly and less progressively than what the Op runs show this morning giving a snowfall across the South but not lasting long before further fronts push NE and introduce milder air and rain.

Option C; The low ejects a shortwave east along the channel giving a significant snowfall to the south with the low disrupting and sliding under the block keeping us cold with a snowy Easter weekend.

Place your bets now!!!!

Since you are kind enough to give us options AWD I will take C please. And if I don't get it I am holding you entirely responsible!! tease.gif

Posted

Option D - freak weather system which will bring a heatwave to the SW

Here is the evidence:

Greece, 2009, I went to Greece leaving behind UK grey skies, it (unusually) rained a lot there. UK newspaper headlines..'Wot a scorcher!'

Spain, 2010, shivered by the pool, UK as above

Kos, 2011, cold nights, ok ish days, UK as above

New York, 2012, FREEZING, bar 1 day, UK as above

Amsterdam, 2012, rain, rain, rain, UK as above

Spain, April 2013...we shall see

But feel free to thank me when I come home looking like an unbaked pastie and you're all glowing with health. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I've just been outside for a ciggie, went to wipe off the soggy bench only to realise the wet is frozen solid. Literally every thing is glazed with a thin layer of ice, the patio is lethal! Biting wind too, looks like it's going to be a rather chilly walk up on top of the hills today cold.gif

Confirm, chilly hill!!

Posted

Option c please :-)

My net app looks very boring 5 c all week will little grey cloud in each day!!!

My net app looks very boring 5 c all week will little grey cloud in each day!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Has to be option c for me, for the last couple of days I have been thinking of a far south coast event. But can we still hold on to the cold!.... It's a yes at the moment but I think waiting till tues/wed's results will then have the answers for us down here in the wet country !.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Wow an ice day at the end of march! -1.1c As for snow it is never going to happen is it I expect a rain event. lazy.gifcray.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Option D - freak weather system which will bring a heatwave to the SW

Here is the evidence:

Greece, 2009, I went to Greece leaving behind UK grey skies, it (unusually) rained a lot there. UK newspaper headlines..'Wot a scorcher!'

Spain, 2010, shivered by the pool, UK as above

Kos, 2011, cold nights, ok ish days, UK as above

New York, 2012, FREEZING, bar 1 day, UK as above

Amsterdam, 2012, rain, rain, rain, UK as above

Spain, April 2013...we shall see

But feel free to thank me when I come home looking like an unbaked pastie and you're all glowing with health. biggrin.png

Can i have your job please?good.gif

Posted

Can i have your job please?good.gif

I live for holidays and I never pay more than £200 for a week all inclusive, apart from New York obviously. I am a frustrated travel agent, so anyone that wants a holiday give me a shout & I'll find you a bargain. :D

The one I am going on on the 2nd April cost me £150, flying from Bristol, transfers and All inclusive for 4 days, 3 nights which is a major bargain for Easter hols.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

What about i.f expected event later this week, will that happen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I live for holidays and I never pay more than £200 for a week all inclusive, apart from New York obviously. I am a frustrated travel agent, so anyone that wants a holiday give me a shout & I'll find you a bargain. :D

The one I am going on on the 2nd April cost me £150, flying from Bristol, transfers and All inclusive for 4 days, 3 nights which is a major bargain for Easter hols.

Looking for All Inclusive, preferably a Kids Village, on the Med coast or Canaries. October Half Term, preferably flying from Bristol. Less than £150pp. Good Luck! :p lol.

Posted

From Ian;

"W COUNTRY Cold, dry conditions for week ahead but we have risk of a snow problem Fri-Sat across region. Confidence currently low on detail."

Posted

From Ian;

"W COUNTRY Cold, dry conditions for week ahead but we have risk of a snow problem Fri-Sat across region. Confidence currently low on detail."

:-)

Posted
Posted
Posted

Needs to have a beach! lol.

Oh well, either Perranporth, Ilfracombe, Looe or St Ives it is this year then!

It has got a beach, 50 metres away lol

I might book that myself, close to the airport, close to beach & town, good reviews. You can't go wrong! :D

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

From Ian;

I'll wager a rain event or total miss.........

Posted

It has got a beach, 50 metres away lol

I really didn't know Barcelona was on the coast. I thought it was in the middle of Spain. I feel stupid now. lol.

Wonder if it would be even cheaper to book an easyjet flight to Barcelona and then a travelodge room for a few nights. Mmmmmm!!

You've given me something to think about now. :)

Posted

I really didn't know Barcelona was on the coast. I thought it was in the middle of Spain. I feel stupid now. lol.

Wonder if it would be even cheaper to book an easyjet flight to Barcelona and then a travelodge room for a few nights. Mmmmmm!!

You've given me something to think about now. smile.png

It won't be cheaper I'm afraid. The flights alone are very expensive, you're far better off doing it this way, at least you get a choice then with food/drink & you can choose to eat out.

The beauty of the coastline along there is that it is so easy to get a train into Barcelona as the train line runs along it & it only costs about 10 euro's return, so it makes a great day out. Also staying all inclusive in a H Top is good as you get to eat (for free) in all of their other hotels, they're a bit like Premier Inn, there are hundreds of them about, so you can catch a bus/train to another resort and eat at their hotel so that you don't have to get back for dinner etc, you also get to drink smile.png

You have to be careful with the H Tops though as some of them are grim! I have always been lucky as I check trip advisor and really do my research before I book, the only time that I didn't I ended up in hotel Beirut.

Whenever we go we always travel about, get the hotel to provide a packed lunch or go to a sister hotel for food & drinks. We don't tend to stay in the resort our hotel is in, you've got to see the area haven't you. smile.png

If you want any tips then message me, I have been to Barcelona more times than I have been to London, it's an amazing city, I also love the Costa Brava, it's cheap & cheerful and sunny. A weekend in London for a birthday treat recently set me back almost £400 for myself & my daughter for only 2 nights. I have done 3 nights in Spain for £60 before now, all inclusive. I am a real cheapskate. biggrin.png

Anyway, back to the weather...sorry MODs and viewers

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'll wager a rain event or total miss.........

Yep, that would be my bet. Whenever there is mention of snow for the south 5 days out, it always disappears. Even if we get yellow warnings if snow 3 days out, they will shift.

I wonder if I can resist looking at the weather models all week, and just take it as a surprise.

Now there's a challenge!

Edited by karlos1983