Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/03/13 12z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Ouch! BBC forecast shows loop of rain for most of the night just arching above Birmingham covering this area, and Peter Gibbs said a mix of wintry weather over the midlands - in other words - expect nothing unitl the early hours when snow might leave a slushy mess. Downgrade - non event.

Posted

SP the heavy snow has just arrived... hady hill chesterfield.. should be good for awhile again

Very heavy here in Inkersall as well. The roads are covered again, finally.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

this going to a massive event for North Midlands, same here, blizzard like, white out, constant heavy snow, and thats in March,

AND its only 6.22pm, hours more to come, god only knows what the totals will be in the morning, we had 6 to 8 inches 2 hours ago with like you say 3 to 6 feet drifts.

I said earlier could have a red warning, definatley think some villages will be cut off for a while., especially if snow pluoghs are concentrating on main routes.

Yes a great possibility Mark, this is truly epic stuff as you say.. interesting times.

Posted

Main road from Gornal to Sedgley is at a standstill now.

The snow has really eased off over the past half hour. Looking at the radar, still some bits and pieces to come. Main heavy stuff has passed to the north now.

Posted

Ouch! BBC forecast shows loop of rain for most of the night just arching above Birmingham covering this area, and Peter Gibbs said a mix of wintry weather over the midlands - in other words - expect nothing unitl the early hours when snow might leave a slushy mess. Downgrade - non event.

That's ALWAYS been the forecast for areas south of Brum - we're not expecting anything here till tomorrow morning. And then it continues through the day .....

Edit: I think it may turn for you earlier though, indeed surprised it's only been rain your way thus far.

Edited by Essan

Posted

And I take the weather systems are meant to meet in the middle with that big low from the sw coming up which isn't meant to produce anything Till later on ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

must have been watching different one to me then, looked great for whole midlands, think you are expecting too much, standard depth for low levels is around 3-5 cms, Ive got around 3cms now, with more snow likely tonight

Posted

this going to a massive event for North Midlands, same here, blizzard like, white out, constant heavy snow, and thats in March,

AND its only 6.22pm, hours more to come, god only knows what the totals will be in the morning, we had 6 to 8 inches 2 hours ago with like you say 3 to 6 feet drifts.

I said earlier could have a red warning, definatley think some villages will be cut off for a while., especially if snow pluoghs are concentrating on main routes.

I would think only a 'massive event' for the highest ground in the peaks, PPN is generally no more than moderate elsewhere with just a weakening looking mess to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

must have been watching different one to me then, looked great for whole midlands, think you are expecting too much, standard depth for low levels is around 3-5 cms, Ive got around 3cms now, with more snow likely tonight

There was a small curl of rain north of birmingham lasting from know until 3-4am, yesterday this wasn't existant it was pure snow. Every site I see keeps telling me that low levels in the midlands should see 10-15CM and potentially a lot more over the hills.

Posted

I would think only a 'massive event' for the highest ground in the peaks, PPN is generally no more than moderate elsewhere with just a weakening looking mess to come.

The stuff near jersey is what to keep an eye on. If you get 2-5cms between now and 1/2am then I'd say your looking gd for the quoted 10-15cms the bbc mentioned earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Our snow plough just got stuck in the village, its getting real bad outside now people leaving cars and going on foot, this would be stunning in the depths of winter but at the end of the first month of spring it is beyond stunning and its getting worse by the min and now sign of it letting up. help.gifhelp.gif

Posted

Some astonishing negativity in here at the moment.

Bar areas such as the Peak District and the Shropshire Hills, this event is going to be about snowfall rather than snow depths (although there will be plenty of that as well).

Bish

Posted

Wow, some people must be hell to live with or be friends with if they're that negative all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

dropped to -0.1C now, going right way, still snowing, expecting around 7-8cms max in morning, good fall for here

max temp only been 0.1C

Posted

Our snow plough just got stuck in the village, its getting real bad outside now people leaving cars and going on foot, this would be stunning in the depths of winter but at the end of the first month of spring it is beyond stunning and its getting worse by the min and now sign of it letting up. help.gifhelp.gif

Yes the lanes round here (that never see plough's are completely blocked with drift's, down in the village is more than likely impassable only by 4x4 tractor..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Darkness has had a massive effect here, starting to stick to main roads now

Dewpoint lowering, and you can see the 'drying up' appearance of puddles.

Posted

well there seems to be a steady stream of ppn with heavier bands embedded stretching from Manchester down to Cambridge, and if this ppn slides back South and peps up as some have suggested, gonner memorable, as i said i was out in it, and it was pretty grim. ( although like you say most of my locality is between 100 to 300 metres.

we just have to see what accumalates by Saturday lunchtime.

cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Yes the lanes round here a completely blocked with drift's, down in the village is more than likely impassable only by 4x4 tractor..

I dread to think what it is like over the big dipper this evening its bad at the best of times... i think the met should ave put up a red warning for this area really is that nasty out there..

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

Just drove around locally n roads are pretty bad, roads are freezing over.....

Just light snow at the moment