Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 23rd March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

RE: decaying

The front will overall decrease in intensity through the day, but the snowfall will come in swathes, with variable vorticity across the frontal boundary, through the day

Areas to the ENE of the Thames Estuary should do pretty well through the afternoon, then areas directly east later as the flow slowly becomes more East to West

Further ahead, the 4th ECMWF det run in a row to make more of the LP across France this morning. At present, the main bulk of precipitation stays to our East, but as the LP moves through some decent convection looks to be triggered.

Theres bound to be changes to this through the next few days, but I wouldn't bank on this being the last of the snowfall just yet

SK

Posted

Looking like one of those days where elevation or how heavy ppn is are going to make a difference. Drove from Gravesend to Maidstone 6.00am this morning, mixture of rain, sleet & snow, snow on A2 at Cobham and M2 Junction for Bluebell Hill due to elevation, and in Maidstone during a heavy shower by the time I returned at 7.00am there were very slight accumulations at top of Bluebell Hill and Cobham. Back to Gravesend and a mix of rain sleet and snow again with nothing settling currently but certainly looking more promising than yesterday..

Good to see the heavier returns on the radar giving some settling snow to London .

http://www.meteorada...z=7&x=521&y=486

your radar that you linked and the raintoday radar are showing different radar echoes!! which one is right??

RE: decaying

The front will overall decrease in intensity through the day, but the snowfall will come in swathes, with variable vorticity across the frontal boundary, through the day

Areas to the ENE of the Thames Estuary should do pretty well through the afternoon, then areas directly east later as the flow slowly becomes more East to West

Further ahead, the 4th ECMWF det run in a row to make more of the LP across France this morning. At present, the main bulk of precipitation stays to our East, but as the LP moves through some decent convection looks to be triggered.

Theres bound to be changes to this through the next few days, but I wouldn't bank on this being the last of the snowfall just yet

SK

that sounds good for Essex then !

Posted

Morning snowy peeps!!!

Dull and damp in Eastbourne and not a sign of anything white except the bits that fall out of my pocket where I left something in my jeans when they were washed last..........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, storms in summer or any extreme!

The heavy flakes have gone, very small flakes but coming down fast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Snow for London & South East England :

Buckinghamshire, Greater London, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Bracknell Forest, East Sussex, Hampshire, Reading, Slough, Surrey, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, West Berkshire, West Sussex & Brighton and Hove

Yellow Warning of Snow for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

A slow-moving band of rain, sleet and snow will continue to affect many central parts of the UK during Saturday. Further significant snow accumulations are likely on hills, with continued drifting and blizzard conditions in the strong southeasterly winds. At lower levels, some areas could see 5-10 cm of snow, though details on locations most at risk remains very uncertain at this stage.

The public should be aware of the continued risk of significant disruption.

This updates the warning issued earlier on Friday, reflecting the increased likelihood of accumulations of 2-5 cm of snow on higher ground around London and Kent during Saturday, and some temporary accumulations of 1-2 cm at low-levels

Issued at:

0737 on Sat 23 Mar 2013

Valid from:

0005 on Sat 23 Mar 2013

Valid to:

2359 on Sat 23 Mar 2013

A frontal system remains slow-moving across central and north western parts of the UK during Saturday, again giving some significant snowfall, particularly across high ground. The risk of disruptive snowfall looks to spread further south and east across England than on Friday, though in these areas conditions will be more marginal for snow, with perhaps rain and sleet becoming more prevalent at times.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=F529C97F-8ACB-64AC-8969-8CDA9666B7F2_7_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&fcTime=1363996800

Posted

Morning snowy peeps!!!

Dull and damp in Eastbourne and not a sign of anything white except the bits that fall out of my pocket where I left something in my jeans when they were washed last..........

do not despair as have white fluffy flake falling out the sky here ill send them down to you.

Posted

Well, almost BST ... who would of thought back at the beginning of the year we down south would wake to a few cms of snow this time of year ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Heavier and settling better.still not on roads though

Got to go in town later take maisey to b day party;)

Edited by Floatylight

Posted

do not despair as have white fluffy flake falling out the sky here ill send them down to you.

Thanks Tom, can you make it lots please, I don't do things by halves!! laugh.png

Edited by Coast

Posted

Only settling on car window screens here... still, it's a measurement for the snow depth cup!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Roads and Pavements slushy, snow falling off the car already, can't see too much coming of this wrt accumulations for me.

Posted

Heaviest snow so far - beautiful fluffy flakes. Although the grass, cars and roofs are covered, it is too wet to settle on the road and pavements now though, but if this continues

on who knows ?

Posted

Pretty disappointed yet again, all surfaces wet, a little slush on roofs and cars and the precipitation chart has that distinct lack of bite about it. Cannot see anything special happening around cambridge this weekend now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

An occasional "sleetiness" now though maybe wishful thinking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

What I find amazing is that the 2010 winter will almost be long forgotten compared to this years for many many people.