Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st July 2013 onwards

Posted
Posted · Hidden by J10, July 21, 2013 - Not appropriate Final comment
Hidden by J10, July 21, 2013 - Not appropriate Final comment

Here in barnsley today has not exceeded 18 c. Still not humid and is 13.2c now. Although nothing visible on radar theres fairly heavy drizzle here from the east at the moment. And you wonder why people run through shopping malls with automatic weapons!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

If, for some odd reason, I do not see any thunderstorms in the next two days or so, I'm going to pop along to my local Garden Centre and see if they sell any thunderstorm seeds for me to grow my own storms. I might also see if they have any thundersnow seeds for sale, so then I can be early prepared for Winter. (Mwhe he he hee). ;-D

Good luck to those who get some bangin' storms overnight. :)

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

that second cell is getting bigger by the update Posted Image and is heading right for me Posted Image

It's coming for Bristol:D... and Wiltshire;)

Posted

Do you live up on the hill in Weston? I'm in Yatton which is a bit lower and can't see anything yet.

I live up on the hill by the old kewstoke quarry .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

same here....Meh. What would you say our chances are up in this neck of the woods

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I live up on the hill by the old kewstoke quarry .

Ah that explains it then. I might start seeing something when it pushes northwards. 

Did notice a lot more altocumulus building up around sunset. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Just been outside and the moon looks slightly orange, some low fast moving cloud has appeared in the last hour. Cant wait for tomorrow!!

Saying that I might add there was an orangey glow to the sunset this evening the first I've seen like that this heatwave. What this means is an increase of humidity (as is) this during hot weather can be a sign of storms as increasing humidity and instability take affect. The colour is a reflection of upper atmospheric particles/dust that's has collected due to the very very dry weather (up to now for some!) this can be more intense as a haze and not always brings storms. as far as I know the increase in humidity allows the dust/particles to show up like that.  

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

WHOOOO HOOOO  sorry folks absolutely gorgeous lightning out in my back garden ...........................I'm in Wellington in Somerset ........

But only one flash of strong lightning .

Edited by littlemissy

Posted

same here....Meh. What would you say our chances are up in this neck of the woods

seriously, as usual in recent times we have done best for storms.. I guarentee you that in 12 to 18 hours the whole of netweather will be focused on south, west yorks, the humber and linconshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

A small intense cell just popped up east of the IOW (not electrical)

Posted

Actually cannot believe that the week im down here in Cornwall, it all looks good for storms back home, typical eh 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Seen some regular flashes to the south over the last couple hours. Then all died off but a much brighter flash has just occured with the first audible thunder (albeit fairly quiet).

Posted

39mph gust picked up at Bournemouth AP 2300hrs

Posted

Quick and dirty from out the bedroom window here in Verwood, Dorset from about 15 mins ago tops (about the time it took to get the pic processed). Thought it might be appreciated. :)

post-7705-0-50220800-1374447229_thumb.jp

Posted

a bit of a lull in sferic detections over the past 20 mins, as storms are struggling to push northwards (this does tie in hi-res modeling).....that's not to say of course that further cells will erupt overnight as the theta-e plume continues to destabilize ......next NMM hi-res run out in the next 30 mins

Watching the IR sat the cloud expanding getting wider

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Watching the IR sat the cloud expanding getting wider

yep.....and the NMM 18z is out, and it's already way off the mark....lol......compare the current radar with the NMM 00z precip snapshot!post-4149-0-05573300-1374447399_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

yep.....and the NMM 18z is out, and it's already way off the mark....lol......compare the current radar with the NMM 00z precip snapshot!Posted Imageviewimage.pbx.png

Predictable, it must be said. Posted Image  That's why I like the storms that pop up unexpectedly as the models always seem to struggle with these foreign imports and associated airmasses.

A good increase in AcCas here now and I think cells are indeed starting to develop ahead of the MCS, i.e. central southern and possibly further East may be in with a shout as the morning progresses. Yes I did say morning, happy 22nd July folks. A couple of days to remember are ahead of us. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather