Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot spell and possible breakdown discussion & temperature reports July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It must be as warm as any day we've so far experienced...

Posted

Pleasant here at around 23c - sunny, some clouds but not much.

Typical summer fayre me thinks but defo not set into any unsettled spell. A far cry from recent Summers....that's for sure.

Posted

A potentially excellent day ruined by disgusting amounts of cloud.

This has been the general theme since Saturday, and it only looks like getting worse as the westerly influence increases. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It's interesting that even with a fair bit of cloud around inc some short overcast periods that we've got a max beating a number of the clear sky days. All down to increased westerly influence keeping the North Sea chill away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

25C at Church Fenton today, 24C yesterday. Lovely white puffy cumulus and lengthy sunny spells. Definitely no breakdown - just slightly cooler, but still above-average.

Funnily enough though, this month could end up below-average for sunshine here - the first third was sunny, very sunny even, but not as sunny as other places, so a relatively cloudy final third will easily make this month below-average. The thing that has been truly lacking here in recent summers is sunshine - we've had warm months and temps above 30C, and to get such a warm, dry month, but below-average in terms of sun, would be really annoying. Hopefully we can get some more sunny days. LTA here for July is 206 hours BTW.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Well, from my perspective (I know that is not the same as others and what their particular areas have seen) not seen much of a breakdown thus far here, temps are still well up into the high 20's and it remains mainly dry.

Posted

Now we've lost the onshore breeze today is actually one of the warmest days of this spell so far with a max temp of 26.1C.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A pleasant enough day although got a little sticky as the day went on some clouds bubbling up but apart from a couple of spots rain a dry day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a difference, now that we've (touch wood) seen the back of the NE'erly wind!

Max Temps here around 23c, with some decent sunny spells, especially late this morning and early afternoon. A little bit of overnight rain and a few showers this afternoon, but no heavy rain so far, however that duck is set to break this evening.

Posted

Just 3 more days of somewhere reaching 28C now needed to exceed 1976's record of consecutive days 28C or above - tomorrow looks the closest call, can Gravesend come to the rescue and reach 27.6C ;) ? If we can get a 28C tomorrow then I think the record will fall.

Posted

Just 3 more days of somewhere reaching 28C now needed to exceed 1976's record of consecutive days 28C or above - tomorrow looks the closest call, can Gravesend come to the rescue and reach 27.6C Posted Image ? If we can get a 28C tomorrow then I think the record will fall.

We've also already beaten 1995 and 2006 in that regard. So it really is a notable spell of weather.

By the way, did the run of 28C+ temperatures in 1976 consist of consecutive days above 27.5C or 28.0C?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Heavy rain and cooing air here in Stanwell next to Heathrow AP, what a relief! the most heavy and prolonged rain for weeks!

Heading across the London area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Feels like an Autumn day today with all the rain we've had, really damp. Even though the temp will be decent later the wind has a right nip to it, not terrible but certainly not a warm air. 

Doesn't feel like a Summer day at all. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Dry, sunny and warm In Darlo this morning apart from the thunderstorm on Tuesday morning we've escaped further rain so far yesterday hit just over 25c here

Posted Image

Posted

Really wouldn't call this a breakdown! I mean, it actually reached 28.0oC here yesterday with mostly sunny skies all day! It was luck more than anything as there was a lot of high and low cloud around, especially in the morning but we seemed to get all of the breaks in the cloud! We was all sitting outside all day too and what I thought was a couple of hours of sun was actually around 5 hours and so I went much browner and even slightly redderned my chest and I haven't burnt this whole hot spell but that's mostly because it was just TOO hot to sit in, lows of between 16oC and 19oC also is well above average and so how they call this a breakdown I don't know, it's just a little bit more unsettled, last night we had 5.2mm and we had a couple of storm the other night but still only 2.4mm come out of them and so this whole month we have only had 7.6mm of rain which I think is pretty good!

Last night it got down to 16.8oC and now up to 20.8oC, wouldn't be suprised to see 26oC here again today if this low cloud hurry's up and goes! :)

Posted

Oh and we've now had:

16 days above 26oC

12 days above 28oC and

04 days above 30oC! 

Average high up to the 24th was 27.03oC, average low is 14.4oC and that brings an average of 20.01oC for the month so far! Anaerage high above 27oC is just mad! I just hope that it stays warm enough to make the average high for the month above 26oC as my bench mark for a very warm day is 26oC because I have a weather station which has this boy on it and when it gets above 26oC the clothes change from a t-shirt and trousers to short shorts, a deck chair and a beach ball haha, sad I know! Haha

Posted

Met office:

High temperatures in July.

The United Kingdom saw a prolonged period of high temperatures between Saturday 6 July and Thursday 24 July. A maximum temperature of 28 C or more was recorded at one or more location on each of those 19 days. The last time the UK saw such a long period of hot weather was August 1997 which also had a 19 day run of high temperatures. Temperatures are not expected to reach 28 C today. Issued at 1032 on Thu 25 Jul 2013.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Weather report — High temperatures in July.

The United Kingdom saw a prolonged period of high temperatures between Saturday 6 July and Thursday 24 July. A maximum temperature of 28 C or more was recorded at one or more location on each of those 19 days. The last time the UK saw such a long period of hot weather was August 1997 which also had a 19 day run of high temperatures. Temperatures are not expected to reach 28 C today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

17.8c min and still humid today but sunless unfortunately.

Made it to 22.6c but feels less warm without sun and it being so damp all around. Looks like tomorrow will be a better day - good as I'm being brave and going to have a bbq at my place. Normally doing so invites a chilly evening or some rogue shower.. fingers cross...

Posted

And we're back with nice warm sunshine - and plenty of it!

25.2c max so far with light winds.

Why has this thread gone so quiet - its every bit as warm as it was the past few weeks... OK the 27c+ has gone but we often failed to get much above 25c anyway especially during earlier in the month. If anything its more reliable now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its nice that the winds have switched round to a southwesterly as it prevents a rapid cool down that occurs with an onshore wind. Its lovely and warm out there with not even a hint of a chill in the air. Perfect summers evening as far as i'm concerned.

Posted

That's more like it. Much less cloud around today and predominantly sunny as a result, though there was a brief shower early in the afternoon.

Last night was the first rain I've seen since the 2nd. Good thing it passed through overnight instead of ruining today. Posted Image

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Yes it really is lovely this week with temperatures holding up nicely and none of that nippy breeze lark we've had before. Although more changeable this week is far better than last weekend (for sure!) and a real improvement on the week before last. 

23c still and a lovely warm, humid breeze coming in. Perfect!