Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 23rd July 2013 onwards

Posted

I was just looking at the radar and have to admit it looks very ferocious , and it looks much further south than the graphics on the bbc ,and very very heavy , any thunder in this band tonight ?

Its just stopped here, not heard and thunder or seen any flashes myself, however by the looks of it i was further south than the most heavy part. 

Posted

Rain just started here. Will wait and see how heavy it gets, but judging by the radar, it looks like it could get quite tasty. hoping for some lightning, but not holding my breath.

Posted

Yes quite heavy rain but no rumbles or flashes that I could see - cleared through here now. Meto app indicated heavy rain later tonight but I haven't checked to see if that is still predicted.

Edit:

Apologies - what has just gone through was what I was looking at earlier today on the meto app - got me timings wrong!

Edited by Erbyskerby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just been reading through the last thread about the Nottingham storm last night.

I desperately wanted to chase it but had to drop my gf off somewhere at 7pm and pick her up at 9:30 so I was very limited. By the time I could chase it was dying down a bit, got about 20-30 miles NE of Nottingham and caught up with the back edge. Saw some nice lightning but structure wasn't great by then. There was a lot of flooding on the way though,with some roads almost impassable. I passed a row of about 4 houses which had been flooded. Also did some damage to my car driving through a flood, it seems like I hit a manhole cover or something and ripped off some of the floor of the car, now I have plastic bits trailing on the road and some warning lights on the dash!

Anyway before that largely unsuccessful chase, I did get some decent footage of the rotating clouds. Here's a couple of short videos, both speeded up 16x. 

First one is looking west at 17:11, looks like it was attempting to form a funnel here...

My Moviesmall.wmv

This is looking south at 18:05...

My Movie2small.wmv

Bit frustrated at missing out on what could have been a memorable chase but I can't complain after having 4 storms this week!

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

reports coming in of v hvy rain in central cornwall ,and truckers reporting severall flashes of lightning .just had 1 min of very hvy rain here on mendip ahead of main area of activity although on radar it looks to be tracking more east now as apposed to an hour ago .its going to be hard predicting  sat/sun event but ingredients are there i would like to see it generally track a bit further west to give more posters a shot ,not because of IMBY as i had the cream mon night but to give others some action .there could also be other shots next week so plenty to look forward too .Posted Image

I watched the radar down there it intensified, unstable air is moving in with this. Some large storms to come for northern/western areas tomorrow. (could be some overnight but not severe as Thurs afternoon/eve)

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

http://www.estofex.org/modelmaps/browse_gfs.php?time=21&dtg=2013072418&type=0-3shear

(model data)

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

marked downgrade on sat nights storm for us in EA. GFS painting a clipper affair that may briefly straddle SE England. NW england could however see some potent storms on a seperate track. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I'm working tomorrow!! Posted Image With a bit of luck, nothing will head this way until after 5pm! 

Posted

marked downgrade on sat nights storm for us in EA. GFS painting a clipper affair that may briefly straddle SE England. NW england could however see some potent storms on a seperate track. 

Yes, suspect there will be a large area of more general frontal rain across a good part of East Anglia, Home Counties, London and the South East, but any thunderstorms themselves only really affecting Kent and Essex and many parts of the southern North Sea and neighbouring Continent. 

The latest T+96 also highlights this quite nicely with the wrap-around clearing East Anglia by midday Sunday - any thundery activity staying to the east, there'll be some decent amounts of rain on the frontal boundary, but not expecting much in the way of thunder away from perhaps the far southeast. 

post-11178-0-21607700-1374704429_thumb.p

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

We in For any storms in west Dorset tonight ? Has been raining steadily for nearly an hour and its very sultry...

Edited by Mumbles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

Thunder & lightning being reported by a friend on Twitter who lives in Cornwall.

where in cornwall are they reporting it from?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

We in For any storms in west Dorset tonight ? Has been raining steadily for nearly an hour and its very sultry...

Not expecting any, but you never know!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I wouldn't say it's heavy rain here, just intermittent moderate bursts at times

Posted

Radar image MetO, I have indicated(circled) the S-Ireland thunderstorm image is 2300hrs:

post-11361-0-91974000-1374704749_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Same old same old - barely become newsworthy and it's in the bin already. I bet you half a cheese sandwich that the rain doesn't materialise either! A year in the NSC? Un-********** believeable!!

Posted

I may have just heard a low growl outside - thunder or the neigbours dog has slipped his chain again....

Posted

painting a clipper affair that may briefly straddle SE England. 

Thought there's two options, 1 - SE and EA  2 - Central southern/Midlands ??

Option 3 - of a clipper was not mentioned. A - either be over the SE full on or B - further west.

Posted

Oh yep - lightning to my south, no forks or rumble with this one so maybe far off/high up???

I am in the middle of cooking a batch of samosas.

Off to get candles etc - last time we had a storm power was out for a day - Winter 2010, the substation got hit by thundersnow strike and we were out for 6 days!!!!

Hurry on samosas....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Something like this on Saturday night yes? :D