Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 13th August 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Tom, that must have been the day when I had heatstrokePosted Image

Thought you might come up with an excuse now! Only joking. On a serious note, do we not lose the northern part of the current regional thread in Winter time, say north of Essex, Herts and Bucks?

We could have 4 regional leagues, using the Meridian and the Thames as dividing lines. Probably best to post up a map of our region, to illustrate what I mean: 

Posted Image

You do the Geography, using the 4 league basis, would split our region fairly evenly into a NW league, NE league, SW league and a SE league, as I say, using the Thames and the Greenwich Meridian, as the cut off points.

Tom.

• Like 2

Posted

Hi Tom,

98 metres?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Oh alright you, I'll go and check it again, we didnt appear in a postcode database at the time, and 98 mts is actually Sarahs cake shop, down the road. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Tom,

98 metres?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Ok Jan, you win, its actually 90.69mts and I've changed my profile but can you beat that though?

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

What, never we give them enough already, nothing brave in there, I just put them in the next turn out whilst I picked the berries.

I have bad memories of horses. I was out running on holiday in Devon last year. I got lost, and ended up in a field of horses.... Nuff said, I stay well clear now. But my little children love them, so I have to brave and help the kids feed them.... 😕

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Clear skies here now. Feels a lot warmer than the last few nights. 17c here currently. Was luckily enough to see the International Space Station at 9.25 tonight....

Posted

We could of course incorporate the members who qualify in the current SE regional thread, i.e those in East Anglia, I wouldnt think their numbers would unbalance things too much and they would slot nicely into a NE league.

Anyone north of Beds and Bucks, obv. west of the meridian, would fall into a NW league.

The alternative could be to add up the number of entries and divide them into 4 leagues alphabetically by location, that way you would get some variety in snow depths, whereas splitting the region into 4 leagues, geographically, probably wouldnt give you as much variety.

Anyway thats enough of that for now, dont want to be clogging up a summer thread, with talk of snow but just wanted to give my initial thoughts on a possible Snow Depth competition, for the coming Winter.

I'll now go and lie down in a dark room!

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7
  • Like 2

Posted

All sounds very complicated Tom...................Posted Image

Yes, yes I'm only 63m Posted Image

Dont you start Jan, its very straightforward. 63 mts pfft!

• Like 2

Posted

hi tom

everyone will get so much you will get bored of doing it Posted Image

heres the fax charts

Posted Image

tomorrow

a breezy west to south west flow

showers around but more noticeable north of the river

temps around 20-22 degrees

Posted Image

friday a weak westerly flow

showers around from am rush hour some heavy and potentially thundery

probably be on and off all day

temps around 22 -24 degrees

Posted Image

saturday

a strong south west wind

looks to stay dry until at least mid pm

then some heavy showers en route from the west

temps around 22-24

Posted Image

sunday

dry and sunny

shame about the strong north west wind

temps around 24-25 but feeling cooler in the wind

Posted Image

monday

a weak westerly flow

looks dry with sunny spells

temps around 23-25 degrees

ukmo at 144

Posted Image

long way out but looks pleasant

should stay dry and temps around 25

seen worse Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

I'm a summer person. If I had the weather my way we'd have one month of proper cold Christmassy weather with a shedload of snow, either side of that we'd have the cooler months that are a relief after a long hot summer, but there's enough warmth in the air to be comfortable, then either side of that we'd have a month of that Autumn weather we used to have where we'd get warm days interspersed with much needed heavy showers and storms. The remaining 7 months would be lovely and warm with a couple of months being hot and of course several good storms thrown in to give us some rain and keep the stormlovers happy. I hate it when the evenings start to close in, my mood always dips and I know it's going to be a long time until I can get excited for BBQ season again.

Hi Lauren, I am getting more like this as I get on a bit! I still have this romantic notion about Autumn and Winter in which skies are always gin-clear, but when they aren't then the storms are wild, or the snow is picture perfect, at all times the log fires are crackling, fog is ghostly rather than dangerous, and we will all live on pumpkin soup and make sloe gin whilst breathing in the distant scent of bonfires, roasted turkey and chestnuts. Unfortunately this ludicrously overblown view rather ignores the rain, the dark and the mud that you can see in the maximum 6 hours of useable daylight that we are lucky enough to receive in mid-winter. On the other hand carols from Kings and a deep snowfall can still keep me going for weeks. I suppose, to use a piece of psycho-babble jargon, I am 'conflicted'!I have, however, recently become irrationally cross with the fig tree for, over the last week, turning yellow and looking crumpled, and am furious with the Rowan for getting its berries out far too early. Woe betide the moon if it does that 'harvest' thing before I am ready for it....AS
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Definitely a warmer and muggier feel this afternoon compared to the last few days, despite the limited sunny spells. Forecast is for temps to get no lower than 17-18C in our towns and cities tonight, so a lot warmer than the chilly nights of recent.

Went to the lake at Virginia Water this afternoon to have a picnic and wasps are now becoming a real menace! Soon as I got the food out, we were inundated by loads of the blighters, how we didn't get stung is a miracle, though I tried to resist throwing my arms at them which tends to get them angry.

You think you had it tough today - how about taking 5 frames of honey from 20,000 very angry bees? Admit I was wearing a bee suit. But there were a couple of moments when I couldn't see what was going on as they were sticking to the veil trying to sting me.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Ah another trip to Didcot tomorrow, that place sure loves doing science. Hopefully either tomorrows interview or the one I had Monday will yield a job for me. As much as I love Yarmouth (sarcasm), it would be nice to finally spread my wings and claim back my independence which I lost when I returned home from university.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all :)

Yay for 5:30 wake up times, rather cloudy at the moment, hope the sun comes out today, could be pretty warm.

Posted

Cor blimey guv. I thought I had innocently stumbled into a will o' the wisp wonderland for a minute there. It's why I like this regional topic so much.

Tom.....Your proposed Snow Depth Cup Competition regulations have me totally confused, I haven't got a clue !

Time for my ever increasing medication I think but to stay on topic, it was a warm and humid night here, 16c was the minimum and the cloud shows no signs of lifting. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Posted Image

Just one shade here

Posted

What are your thoughts about the weather prospects for the Eastbourne Air show Robin ?  A bit mixed to say the least.

It's currently pretty grim with a cloud base of 757 ft over Eastbourne, not good for flying today unless it clears a bit. Tomorrow looks about the same with some rain maybe:

Posted Image

Saturday slightly better with any rain holding off until after flying has stopped:

Posted Image

Sunday looks best:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is encouraging news:

UK weather: Bank Holiday weekend set to be a SCORCHER

Glorious sunshine is predicted next week followed by “very warm†temperatures as high as 30C by Saturday

The Bank Holiday weekend is set to be a scorcher as the summer heatwave makes a comeback, forecasters say. Glorious sunshine is predicted by the middle of next week followed by “very warm†temperatures as high as 30C (86F) by Saturday. Tourism bosses are looking forward to a surge in bookings. VisitEngland’s Sarah Long said: “A heatwave for the Bank Holiday weekend and the end to school summer holidays is a great boost.

“July’s heatwave saw an increase in late bookings and we now epect another spike in last-minute bookings for the Bank Holiday.†The Met Office forecast showers today. The mercury will rise to about 25C by the weekend. It will be wet in the north of England. Forecaster Laura Young said: “An unsettled few days are ahead but more settled weather is expected in the middle of next week with southern and eastern areas showing signs of becoming warmer. "Later in the period, from August 18 to 27, temperatures should become warm and locally very warm.†She added the heat could last to September 11 in some regions.

The Weather Outlook said data showed 30C Bank Holiday weekend highs in the South, with a “growing chance†of the 10-day warm spell developing into a heatwave. Brian Gaze, of the online forecaster, said: “High pressure will build strongly and a spell of fine, warm weather is very likely for the last third of August, with a growing chance of a heatwave.â€

Posted

You think you had it tough today - how about taking 5 frames of honey from 20,000 very angry bees? Admit I was wearing a bee suit. But there were a couple of moments when I couldn't see what was going on as they were sticking to the veil trying to sting me.

And there's that particular sound that ANGRY bees make, much more intimidating that the normal friendly buzz.  Hope you enjoy the honey :-)

Posted

Cor blimey guv. I thought I had innocently stumbled into a will o' the wisp wonderland for a minute there. It's why I like this regional topic so much.

Tom.....Your proposed Snow Depth Cup Competition regulations have me totally confused, I haven't got a clue !

Time for my ever increasing medication I think but to stay on topic, it was a warm and humid night here, 16c was the minimum and the cloud shows no signs of lifting. Posted Image

Morning BB and all,

It will become more clear with time, honest, trust me on that! Very briefly, our region would be split into 4 mini regions (leagues), NW, NE, SW and SE. Which league you'd be in would be determined by where your location was in respect of the physical barrier of the Thames and the Greenwich Meridian.

Your good self, being north of the Thames and west of the Meridian, would be in the NW league, I on the other hand, being south of the Thames and east of the Meridian would be in the SE league and up against the likes of................ Biggin Hill. Mmm, not sure about that, think I might have to do some Gerrymandering, there! You then of course add up the number of cups of tea/coffee, you have in a week, divide by the number in your household and add it to any snow depth, that may have accumulated, in any snow event. The winners of the 4 leagues then go into a draw to create 2 Semi-Finals and then of course a Final. Simples! Posted Image

BB, do you think you could let me have some of your medication, as my supply of catnip has just finished, my surgery's out of Prozac and it's been a bad time to give up solvents. Btw, how are Brontophiles Utd, coming along? Ready for our next encounter?

Meanwhile, cloudy and feels pretty muggy here this morning. Time for a cuppa.

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all - landed safely yesterday..,,

post-10773-0-70667900-1376553674_thumb.j

Nothing but blue sky and sunshine here - they are in the middle of a heat wave here on the island so I'm off to sit by the pool and soak up the sun !

• Like 3

Posted

The sun is trying a bit here but the general mugginess is quite noticeable this morning:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

BB, do you think you could let me have some of your medication, as my supply of catnip has just finished, my surgery's out of Prozac and it's been a bad time to give up solvents. Btw, how are Brontophiles Utd, coming along? Ready for our next encounter?

Meanwhile, cloudy and feels pretty muggy here this morning. Time for a cuppa.

Tom.

No chance Tom, Im on morphine patches and they're a controlled substance. I might swap a patch for a thunderstorm though !

Its unbelieveably dark and overcast here this morning. I have had to put the lights on to see my keyboard. July was a beaut but August so far has been dismal Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

No chance Tom, Im on morphine patches and they're a controlled substance. I might swap a patch for a thunderstorm though !

Its unbelieveably dark and overcast here this morning. I have had to put the lights on to see my keyboard. July was a beaut but August so far has been dismal Posted Image

Sorry to hear that BB and when I tick like, you know what I mean.

Whoops, nearly forgot, its my daughters birthday today and I havnt written her card out yet! 

Have a nice day all.

Tom.

• Like 2

Posted

This forum gets more and more pathetic each day.. Not blaming anybody in this thread just gets tiring going in to other threads and people arguing, then when you do say something about it, a mod sticks their nose in it! Where's the freedom of speech in that!

Try the 'report' button Surrey :good: