Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 28/08/13 00z ------------------>

A.J

Guest William Grimsley

There were 5 flashes of lightning and 5 rumbles of thunder to the S of here about 90 minutes ago! Rainfall Today: 2.2 mm. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hell of a hail storm!Pictures courtesy of twitter friends :-)

And it all happened here in Falmouth. Although it was a nightmare to drive in, it was great to see it. :D

• Like 1

Posted

Is that really your photo AWD?I seem to recall seeing that image in last weekend's Sun newspaper!

I'm pretty sure it isn't... I've seen it on Facebook, it was taken somewhere in Scotland!Not sure why AWD is saying that it's his? Edited by dec10snow

Guest William Grimsley

I saw on here and BBC Spotlight about the Newquay hail storm! It's quite hard to believe! 1 inch of hail in a 1/4 mile radius! :D

Guest William Grimsley

I just saw the BBC Weather Forecast by Chris Fawkes at 07:50. He's saying heavy showers again especially this afternoon with them turning thundery. Having a look at the charts, it looks very promising again especially this afternoon.

UK storm risk. Valid: Sat 07/09 15:00.

Posted Image

UK CAPE+Lifted Index. Valid: Sat 07/09 15:00.

Posted Image

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

yep, I think a better chance than yesterday........yesterday was blown up a bit out of proportion to what actually transpired..........coastal areas had a day of showers, some heavy, as expected, with one hail storm near Falmouth, and a thundery shower skirting Torbay into Lyme Bay......apart from that the majority of the region remained dry after the early morning rain cleared from eastern and northern districts

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Another lovely, bright and sunny morning so far. Now I know what synoptic setup we should have had in August as this week has had more sunshine than any single week in August. 

Fingers crossed for something later. The most recent News 24 forecast mentioned the T word for the West Country for this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

yep, I think a better chance than yesterday........yesterday was blown up a bit out of proportion to what actually transpired..........coastal areas had a day of showers, some heavy, as expected, with one hail storm near Falmouth, and a thundery shower skirting Torbay into Lyme Bay......apart from that the majority of the region remained dry after the early morning rain cleared from eastern and northern districts

For those of us who caught those storms yesterday we bleedin' well knew about it! hehe. One of the best rain/hail storms I have ever seen. The potential was there. Posted Image

A storm also brushed the North Devon coast around Woolacombe and Ilfracombe.

Read my special report on the Falmouth Storm here with some images from yesterday: http://www.cciweather.co.uk/

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Another day of gorgeous sunshine, currently 17C

I was fishing at Ballard, the far left side of Swanage bay last night. The shower clouds were rolling by the coast and around 11pm there were a lot of lightning flashes out to sea.  

It stayed dry all night for fishing but literally as i got back to the car, there  was a torrential downpour, only lasting 60 seconds or so but it was enough to cause some large puddles on the road. Posted Image

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

So far today, there has been had 1 torrential rain shower with pea size hail and 1 light rain shower, here. Rainfall Today: 3.4 mm Rainfall Last Hour: 0.4 mm High Rainfall Rate Today: 33.8 mm/hr 12:52. Posted Image

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

Thought I replied in here but actually was in the convective thread. One rumble of thunder here followed by a torrential downpour. Seems to have passed through now but nice taster for anything more substantial that decides to turn up.

Posted

Thought I replied in here but actually was in the convective thread. One rumble of thunder here followed by a torrential downpour. Seems to have passed through now but nice taster for anything more substantial that decides to turn up.

Hi MHR - I'm located very new you. Very heavy showers seem to have come out of the blue! One minute warm sunshine then heavy rain!

Guest William Grimsley

I'm currently watching a line of developing showers (circled below) that are intensifying and are moving SW to NE and are heading towards, here. Posted Image

post-15531-0-72688600-1378565459_thumb.j

Posted

Hi MHR - I'm located very new you. Very heavy showers seem to have come out of the blue! One minute warm sunshine then heavy rain!

Haven't they just, had to dash out and bring the washing in. Very boring now though with brightening skies from the SW and only light rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I'm currently watching a line of developing showers (circled below) that are intensifying and are moving SW to NE and are heading towards, here. Posted Image

Posted ImageShowers.jpg

I wonder if they will reach my area?

I have allready heard two rumbles to my southeast from a dark cloud that brought some rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Is there any lightning around the Southampton/Bournemouth area? My blitzbortung lighting app says its quite active atm but no one here has mentioned it

Guest William Grimsley

I wonder if they will reach my area?

I have allready heard two rumbles to my southeast from a dark cloud that brought some rain.

They might do but it may take until evening for them to reach Wiltshire.

I wish there was thunder, here. It's just boring rain, at the moment.

They might do but it may take until evening for them to reach Wiltshire.

Having said that, the showers look like to be weakening so unless there's a convection pocket it's very doubtful they will reach Wiltshire.

EDIT: My bad, here we go! Posted Image

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Not long had some showers.. Sunny intervals...13.6c Humidity 80%...

Posted

Just got absolutely battered in Winchester! The rain started heavy drops as I was emptying the car and then out of the blue flash bham all in one. Gave me a headache it was that close! Jezz I nearly peed myself!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Had a nice Thunderstorm just pass over Newbury about half an hour ago. Two decent rumbles - didnt see any lightning though and a good down pour.The rumble took me by surprise! Thought it was a plane or loud motorbike then I realised the sky was black and just got the washing in time!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

hey radar over Salisbury is looking pretty damn potent....anyone can confirm the situation on the ground?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I can see the anvil clearly from my back garden.....very bright echoes on radar, so torrential rain and hail likely......it's fairly quiet though at the moment on ATD, the last sferics detected over 30 mins ago, worth noting though that ATD doesn't pick up every lightning strike

• Like 1