Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

daily express at it again tomorrow lets just hope this time they are right as I would love to see some record breaking snow next month

Posted ImageBWUx5VFIAAE6MQM.jpg

And an obligatory insane Diana article to boot. Only needs a headline about house prices to complete the hat-trick of quintessential Express drivel.
  • Like 6

Posted

My hopes for a cold winter are crashing down.

Can you disable drama queen mode do you reckon?
  • Like 1

Posted

daily express at it again tomorrow lets just hope this time they are right as I would love to see some record breaking snow next month

3 guesses which 'forecaster(s)' the story came from.......

Posted

They can't be using Maddens's 'forecast' as 'evidence' ?

Posted

They can't be using Maddens's 'forecast' as 'evidence' ?

of course they can. thats what they do. if i rang them and said i was in the SAS and i implanted Madden's forecast into Diana's head, which made her brain explode, it would probably be headline news tomorrow

actually, that would probably work on anyone........

• Like 2

Posted

Worth a forum scam to a rival newspaper to either up ante or totally discredit?

Posted

Best sales

for decades

fixed that headline

worst reporting for decades!

edited for accuracy....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i c rjs is going for 11-12 winter this time and his forecast isn't bad at all. Last few years he hasn't been far off lets hope his making a wrong call this time round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

If ever there is a picture which summed up the Daily express or Daily mail,this is it, not only an apocalyptic forecast but also a Diana conspiracy theory. Posted Image

And an obligatory insane Diana article to boot. Only needs a headline about house prices to complete the hat-trick of quintessential Express drivel. 

And a story about how immigrants are bad for this country....

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

nice blob of white showing on the alps from the snow they have seen also first tentative signs that something may start to happen in Scandinavia

yesterday

post-18233-0-12435000-1381530534_thumb.g

today

post-18233-0-10807500-1381530557_thumb.g

also if u look really closely theres a few inland water areas over Siberia and eastern Russia turning yellow so the cold must be deepening over there

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

If of course this winter goes mad the Express will play the told you so card! Theu just print it every year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I have been waiting for the winter curse from the Express and today it has hit

Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

Winters over

Posted Image

Winter 2011 / 12 they said it would be bitter and it was mild, last year they said the same it was only slightly below average

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

You're forgetting their weekly cure for arthritis!
  • Like 2

Posted

Winters over

Posted Image

Winter 2011 / 12 they said it would be bitter and it was mild, last year they said the same it was only slightly below average

Yeah i know It wont happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Yep, the Express have jinxed it. We may as well start the Spring thread now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Winters over

Posted Image

Last winter was very snowy for some.. up to 10 inches of accumulated snow in Leeds in January and March.. I'm sure most winter lovers would kill for that. The cold is less important, as long as it is cold enough to actually snow, which it was last winter, a lot of the time. And before the pedants come out in force - yes, we all know March isn't a winter month, but it was one of the coldest months in recent years so it doesn't matter.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We get snow up here every winter, just like we seem to get this forecast every winter .. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Winters over

Posted Image

They say it every winter, from 09-10 (very, very cold), 10-11 (actually record breaking aswell), 11-12 (much milder) and 12-13 (a pretty cold winter incl March), it doesn't affect the winter itself.

• Like 2

Posted

i c rjs is going for 11-12 winter this time and his forecast isn't bad at all. Last few years he hasn't been far off lets hope his making a wrong call this time round.

I'm not sure on this but didn't he predict record cold in February this year and a sub zero CET? And also temperatures 3C below average for the first third of October when in fact they were 3C above? I might be wrong though. I don't know how successful his forecasting is and these may have been one offs among more successful predictions. Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm not sure on this but didn't he predict record cold in February this year and a sub zero CET? And also temperatures 3C below average for the first third of October when in fact they were 3C above? I might be wrong though. I don't know how successful his forecasting is and these may have been one offs among more successful predictions.

Indeed he did, and also February 2013 could be on par with 1947, if my memory serves me right. But to be fair Roger is never too far out with the overall picture for the NH.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office have responded to the daily express

Winter Forecasting – Responding to the headlines

Once again it is the season for speculation and big headlines regarding what the weather will do over the winter period. The front page of the Daily Express today claims: ‘Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November’. We saw similar headlines last year and instead winter 12/13 ended up being only the 43rd coldest on record with an average temperature of 3.3C and flooding until the turn of the year. What the Daily Express has failed to explain to it’s readers is that there is absolutely no certainty about what weather the UK will see over the winter period. The science simply does not exist to make detailed, long-term forecasts for temperature and snowfall even for the end of November, let alone for the winter period, which does not officially start until 1 December.

While we have seen a return to more normal, cooler temperatures for this time of year, this is no indication of what we can expect over the next four months with regards to temperatures and when we might see snow. It is far too early to tell. Ultimately, we’re heading into winter and it is perfectly possible that we will see the whole range of weather that we get in winter at some point over the coming months, including snow and freezing temperatures, but also heavy rain, windy weather and mild conditions too. Our five day forecasts and warnings will provide you with the best possible guidance on any periods of cold weather, frost or the likelihood of snow, giving detailed local information across the UK to help you make the most of the weather over the coming months.

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/winter-forecasting-responding-to-the-headlines/

Like I said before we've had these headlines in 2011 and 2012 both failed to materialize with 11 /12 above average and 12 / 13 only the 43rd coldest winter on record

The best thing to do for the express winter forecast is put it through this

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted

does anyone else read between the lines of that meto statement.  i'm thinking they're leaning towards cold for this winter.  'there is absolutely no certainty about what weather the uk will see over the winter period'.  yeah - we all know that.  i'd love to know what stewart's analogues etc are showing him !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

CFS output this morning has responded to the Express headlines and currently is showing a mild winter, it will be cold by tomorrow. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

^^ Good to see the CFS keeping its options open, as usual.Posted Image 

• Like 3