Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 12hrs. 01/10/13

phil nw.

Looks like a long winter ahead of model watching indeed, already the shredder blades are sharpening and a bigger model bin is required. For those reading that aren't familiar with the phrase binned, binning etc It isn't just abuse, the pros over the pond use this term frequently to discard wayward solutions.

UKMO and ECM - clearly the one's to watch. I really fear GFS will be referred to with the same respect as CFS this season. Still , I guess we wouldn't have it any other way!

Nice post Lorenzo- although for the GFS saying the 06z is the best may be correct for the NH, but is certainly the worst for locations closer to home within that-

Last year we put up the page that showed the results per cycle of GFS for every area & the 3 closest- Europe, Atlantic & arctic I think it was miles away-  but I cant find that link on the performance page as its changed-

Anyway the models have settled down now with a burst of cold polar air that will get mixed down to the surface before high pressure remains in situ to the NW, certainly good for Ireland & possibly the west for great autumnal but chilly weather-

One to note as well as Ive made references to it- the NOAA map that everyone rates has been just as bad with the assessments placing the upper ridge to far east- why, to much GFS bias applied probably to the thinking........

S

• Like 4

Posted

UK Outlook for Friday 11 Oct 2013 to Sunday 20 Oct 2013:

Many areas will be largely dry at first with sunny spells and light winds. However it will be cloudier across eastern parts with some showers, perhaps wintry over Scottish Mountains initially and more persistent rain possible in southeast England. Feeling rather cold, especially across eastern parts. Into the next week, conditions are likely to remain similar at first, although western parts of the UK may become rather more unsettled and breezy, with outbreaks of rain. In contrast, eastern parts will tend to become drier through the week, with more sunshine and temperatures recovering to near-normal across many parts. Thereafter, northern and western parts are likely to become increasingly unsettled and windy, with showers or longer spells of rain. Sunshine and showers likely across southern and eastern areas, with near-normal temperatures.

Updated: 1210 on Sun 6 Oct 2013

source : MetO

Edited by draztik

Except for the south east where they could see rain on and off for the majority of the output, in fact anywhere south of a line from Merseyside to the Humber could be susceptible to outbreaks of rain over the coming period with the low over Europe pushing bands of rain in from the continent.

For many southern and eastern areas this is a massive downgrade on conditions from potential warm and sunny southerlies to cyclonic north easterlies and outbreaks of rain. Going to be very bleak from Thursday onwards.

The 06Z GFS actually beats lasts nights ECM in terms of awfulness with the low actually re-invigorating at the end of high resolution.

I guess I should get some sandbags in preparation........

That's why I said to me. personally give me North Easterlies over South Westerlies 100% of the time. Better still South Easterlies but we can't have everything.

I would imagine western areas not doing too badly if this forecast actually came off.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I don’t know if this is the right thread but what models would one use in their arsenal when looking and making comments on the future weather. I’m sure a lot of people who just read this thread would like to know.

In the last 24/48 hrs we have seen a fundamental change in the out put the GFS .Some seasoned forecaster are calling the GFS an embarrassment. Its  gone topsy turvy with its output changing dramatically..

Is the GFS seen as poor because it run  4 times a day or is  just less capable at picking up ‘signals’ and is that real or perceived ?.

GFS ensembles , can we use the ensembles as a guide or are there better references ?  I always thought generally speaking you can look at ensembles as a guide but don’t take them as gospel ?? Also don’t jump on every 6 hr GFS update but look at the trends that can be shown in the ensembles is that still the thing to do. ?

Is the ECM the one to watch this winter because its done well recently or does just performs much better??

Do people use a mixture and include looking at  fax and 500mb charts out to day 15 before posting their views

Before we go into winter proper what would people use for reference before making a forecast ? I’m sure there are personal preferences

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

That's why I said to me. personally give me North Easterlies over South Westerlies 100% of the time. Better still South Easterlies but we can't have everything.

I would imagine western areas not doing too badly if this forecast actually came off.

For those in the north and west of England and Wales you wouldn't want the low to shift any further west or next weekend could be pretty miserable for most of the country. The metoffice already have the South east under persistent rain. So what's to say that persistent rain could effect a wider area of the UK.

Shame the south easterlies on most models 48 hours back have gone.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Here are some of the highlights from the Gfs 06z op run, much colder air incoming by the end of tuesday from the northwest with a very amplified pattern for a time and we will all be in the cold air by midweek with a lot of showers for areas bordering northern & eastern coasts with strengthening Northerly winds but with sunny spells inland, most of the showers further east and cold enough for snow on the scottish mountains and higher hills and hail/sleet to lower levels in the far north. Later next week, winds become more NE'ly as atlantic high pressure begins to topple across the far north with low pressure to the southeast, the strong NE'ly flow will push a lot of rain further inland and it will feel very cold as a result. On this run, it then remains cold and unsettled across the south/se but high pressure across northern britain brings a lot of sunshine, light winds and cold nights with a touch of frost, eventually the 6z shows a more typical mid october pattern with atlantic lows spreading in and a chance of increased amplification with polar maritime incursions beyond mid month.Posted Image Posted Image ENJOY.

post-4783-0-32106900-1381061877_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-08410200-1381061887_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-33053000-1381061898_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-34071400-1381061906_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-31052000-1381061940_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-15090100-1381061948_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-82277700-1381062007_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-28730000-1381062016_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-76540700-1381062027_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

GFS ensembles , can we use the ensembles as a guide or are there better references ?  I always thought generally speaking you can look at ensembles as a guide but don’t take them as gospel ?? Also don’t jump on every 6 hr GFS update but look at the trends that can be shown in the ensembles is that still the thing to do. ?

You can't spot a trend in the ensembles if there isn't one. It's all or nothing- i.e complete agreement for 5/6 runs (you'd think the outlook was fairly certain) and then a complete flip in the next set.

In this instance, it would be reasonable to expect that one of the perturbations would have picked up on the pattern for the coming week- there must have been a good chance of this with the alterations to each separate perturbation to account for error. But no, not one picked up the actual pattern which to me suggests that there is a flaw in the algorithms somewhere which is only corrected once the period in question comes into a certain range where the model can't fail to pick up the correct pattern.

At 120-168 hours out NWP in this day and age should at least be able to project the general long wave pattern- and if not the scenario should be in the ensemble suite. Neither of these things happened.

It could also be argued the CFS (yes the CFS!) did a better job at hinting at the scenario which will play out this week. The monthly anomalies pointing towards HP being situated further N for October than the Euro high the GFS wanted. It's saying something when a long range model is picking out the pattern with more accuracy than its short-medium range sibling.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Some good questions there Stew.(post 456-above)

I know Steve M is not a fan of the GFS suite, and that's probably an understatement, but we all tend to remember the rouge runs and maybe overlook the many times when they are closer to the mark.

Yes i have seen the performance statistics too but all models have their moments good and bad.

An example being the changed outlook for this coming week both the ECM and GFS  switched after the UKMO.first picked up on this. 

I try to view all the models including the means/anomaly charts and graphs.

A good idea is to maybe watch for trends over a few runs.

In essence use as much of the available outputs as we can to get a balanced view.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 8

Posted

Has anyone seen this chart in FI?

Posted Image

Artic region - 1030hpa

Edited by Jonan92

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

It's looking more and more likely that next week will indeed deliver a cool/cold setup with winds coming down from the North for a time. Some adjustments to next weeks Northerly flow still expected, such as how amplified the High Pressure system out West can really get (as that could have an impact on the potency of the Northerly). Plus, some slight adjustments Eastwards or Westwards of the High will have obviously have some affect on where the main area of the Northerly becomes concentrated over, and also where the coldest of the airflow heads. I think, however, the UKMO has done well for being one of the first models to pick out a Northerly setup.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i'm rite last year ian f did say that the met doesn't use the gfs output beyond 5days. I'm sure some1 will correct me if i misquoted ian.f.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The GFS will always THROW any trough digging through Europe to far East, subsequently the pattern builds over the top in its eyes & the UK doesn't get any cold air-

Maybe there's too much use of historical data from pre-2009 driving the algorithms :-)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

No escaping the nose dive in upper air temps by Wednesday, luckily it won't last, back to average by next weekend Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Maybe there's too much use of historical data from pre-2009 driving the algorithms :-)

Yes otherwise known as the 'mod-ern era'...

They need to reprogramme it with the 'Post mod-ern era....'

lol cant believe that word is in the swear filter....

S

These 2 posts should be pinned in the model thread for all eternity IMHO as a reminder that all model output is the product of complex computer algorithms, and not, as so many members seem to think, that model suites are sentient beings subject to mood swings and 'going off on one'.....Always makes me smile and laugh out loud when I see posts describing models and their 'personalities'....Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some similarity here. Not implying it means anything, just wouldn't mind the same development this time around over the next few months as developed 51 years ago :-)

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes otherwise known as the 'mod-ern era'... They need to reprogramme it with the 'Post mod-ern era....' lol cant believe that word is in the swear filter.... S

Given the timings of the modeling change and the low west of Greenland I'd suggest that the GFS was expecting a stronger and barlonically enhanced TS Karen while after genesis the Euro had a much better grip on the vertical structure of Karen which eventually meant that much less energy was going to go into the low over Canada and ergo we see a modeling shift.Yet another example of why modeling from August-October are essentially useless when the tropics are active.
  • Like 1

Posted

another misunderstandin I'm afraid Timmy. ALL models take the data at T+00 and run through to the end of their period using complex maths to solve the almost as complex physics equations, there is NO historical data fed in. Write to UK Met, ECMWF and NOAA to see what they say?
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some similarity here. Not implying it means anything, just wouldn't mind the same development this time around over the next few months as developed 51 years ago :-)

Virtually identical but probably means little. One can hope though!