Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

saying in his best aussie accent

'that's not a storm this is a storm'

post-18233-0-05893300-1382923662_thumb.ppost-18233-0-49884700-1382923668_thumb.p

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Posted ImageBXno78hIQAA52KZ.pngPosted Imagegfs-0-156.png

put that away quick !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Posted ImageBXno78hIQAA52KZ.pngPosted Imagegfs-0-156.png

Aye, that's a proper wee puff o' wind! Pressure dropped to 965mb here yesterday, I don't think I've ever seen it drop as low as 960. There's a first time for everything though! Damp and calm here this morning, a perfect sorta duvet day! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Yeah, cool, calm and sunny here. Car thermometer was showing 3C just before 9am, which is the lowest I can remember seeing it for a while. Still no frost though.

Has the Scottish Government started sending the aid parcels to the south of England yet? Tents, blankets, generators and good strong Scottish tree saplings?

Sadly it appear there have been 2 deaths due to falling trees so I'll not be too flippant. Admittedly before that particular news, I did hear someone on BBC this morning ask a question along the lines of "looking at these pictures, what will other people around the world think of the British, that maybe we're a bit soft when it comes to the weather?". Which in comparison to what happens elsewhere in the world, is probably a fair point to make.

• Like 1

Posted

stayed up till half 2 this morning to wait to see what happened but then got bored and went to my bed, I take it from seeing the news that nothing really came off that big which realistically through the day yesterday was getting less and less likely it was going to come off in the way it was supposed to.

really sad to hear of the deaths that did come from this though and thoughts go out to there familys and loved ones.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

thought I would put this in here someone posted it in the winter thread and don't know if everyone visits that thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/posts/Real-risk-of-a-Maunder-minimum-Little-Ice-Age-says-leading-scientist

Posted

Quite a few showers been streaming through this afternoon more than expected

Posted

Interesting seeing chat of a possible 'sting-jet' in this mornings storm. Remember that storm and resulting sting-jet which hit Edinburgh on 3/1/12 I think? The noise as that passed through was unreal. Ripped roof and ridge tiles from easily 60% of my estate, trees and fences down, cars with smashed windscreens etc. I think that was the day Blackford Hill recorded over 100mph and the road bridge 97mph or close to that anyway.

Posted

Interesting seeing chat of a possible 'sting-jet' in this mornings storm. Remember that storm and resulting sting-jet which hit Edinburgh on 3/1/12 I think? The noise as that passed through was unreal. Ripped roof and ridge tiles from easily 60% of my estate, trees and fences down, cars with smashed windscreens etc. I think that was the day Blackford Hill recorded over 100mph and the road bridge 97mph or close to that anyway.

Had some wild wind storms before here but that was a vicious one (only storm I know it's a bit daft) but only storm in the 17 years we lived here to blow some tiles off our roof (and we had a fair few blowers through that time)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Today was the first 'Can't wear just t-shirt for more than 10 mins outside' day of 2013.

North Face jaiket was dug oot at the weekend.

Hello winter.

• Like 5

Posted

Morning all! Dull and dreich up here again but at least I'm alive! Where's ma breakfast??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Ah sorry, mistyqueen, think I ate your breakfast - though you were running late, and it's a shame to see bacon get cold, eh? :)

Bright and blustery here, sun trying hard to shine, leaves in a whirligig - looks quite pleasant out, very autumnal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Check this oot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24712473

Lonely Planet says Scotland is third best country to visit

Scotland has been named one of the top countries in the world to visit in 2014 by travel guide Lonely Planet.

It was voted third best country to head to, behind Brazil which took the top spot and Antarctica which came second.

I think there's a fair argument that Antarctica isn't a country, so second place....Posted Image

EDIT.

Oh, 5 C outside. Soon be time to think about putting the winters on.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Och it's no that cold for late October! Anyway they had a wee dusting of snow above 3000ft at the ski centres so at least there are signs of winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Forecast I saw last night didn't show rain for ne Sutherland. It's been hammering down on and off (mostly on) since yesterday. Seriously pithed off and wet. Fckn chaos. &*(%$£@#~~~ing shambles of a Lettucecast. Similar to a young bull-brained idiots can mongoosecast a mongooseing storm for the whiteys in se England but not 2" rain in north Scotland.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

A cool showery day today with a maximum of 9c. Cows and calves now actively seeking out the drier sheltered areas at night near trees. Now only about 3 weeks before they will come in for the winter.

Posted

Still no laptop although after removing the back cover and having a stir inside it I have found it's the charger which is knackered. Thirty telephone boxing screws and a whole lot of wedging with a knife later....at least I now know how difficult it is to get inside a laptop. I hear we've got weeks of westerlies to look forward to. It's now or never for a proper storm.

Happy to help on laptop front if you want, taken hundreds apart over the last few years, and can get most spares.

Anyway back to the weather.... very clear and crisp but breezy day. clear but cold night in store.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Beautiful skies this morning, a fine cold start to the day. Posted Image

Hopefully more of the same to look forward to in the forthcoming weeks. As Catch mentioned quite a set pattern as we head into November with a more zonal outlook courtesy of an organising and intensifying vortex.

The colder 850hpa temps are appearing with increasing frequency though.

post-7292-0-94336000-1383117551_thumb.gi

Jet looking pretty robust on the latest GFS run, a constant stream of energy exiting Canada and the US East Coast. Relentless may be a better word. However if comparable to the St Judes storm, may be getting modelled a little more intense than it actually it is after crossing the Atlantic.

post-7292-0-95176500-1383117987_thumb.pn

Plenty of Atlantic depressions sweeping through, going to be some cold mucky conditions heading toward Bonfire Night.

post-7292-0-25543000-1383118075_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-36933600-1383118088_thumb.pn

With regards to November as a whole, at present not a lot on the horizon to upset the particular pattern in place, will keep searching !

• Like 4

Posted

Morning all! A bit breezy up here today, this after a beautiful starry night. Temp down to 2.2 last night. Now we are back to normal......horizontal rain! Surprise!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wife had to scrape her car at 7am this morning, which is a first for this winter I think. By the time I left at 8:45am the sun had done the job for me on my car. The aforementioned sun has now disappeared behind a veil of grey cloud now though.

Posted

Aye, getting a wee bit wild up here too HC! A wee breeze to chase away the cobwebs.....

• Like 1