Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Hairy Celt, October 25, 2013 - pointless
Hidden by Hairy Celt, October 25, 2013 - pointless

Folk might be interested to read how the Gulf Stream is currently doing? Have included the link:

http://notrickszone.com/2013/10/23/meteorologist-gulf-stream-weakens-to-lowest-level-in-five-years-may-bode-ill-for-europes-winter/

Doesn't link...?

Does now...

Edited by Hairy Celt
Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Folk might be interested to read how the Gulf Stream is currently doing? Have included the link  (which is now fixed!):

http://notrickszone.com/2013/10/23/meteorologist-gulf-stream-weakens-to-lowest-level-in-five-years-may-bode-ill-for-europes-winter/

its something to keep an eye on

http://tallbloke.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/the-gulf-stream-today/

this is one of the links from further down the page goes into more detail

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry to hi-jack your thread. Getting the Sleeper train on Tuesday night to arrive in Inverness on Wednesday morning. What can I expect? What weather will greet me when I pull open the blind on the train early on Wednesday morning?

Can't wait, always been in the summer before...never seen the Highlands in the Autumn. One of my favourite parts of the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Sorry to hi-jack your thread. Getting the Sleeper train on Tuesday night to arrive in Inverness on Wednesday morning. What can I expect? What weather will greet me when I pull open the blind on the train early on Wednesday morning?

Can't wait, always been in the summer before...never seen the Highlands in the Autumn. One of my favourite parts of the country.

I'll let one of the resident kilted experts give you their views.

I can't find one for autumn, but I guess something in between is probably likely.

Posted Image

Other weather related postcards:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Watch out for hairy celts burning up rubber way too fast on the back roads around Inverness too...

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted

Don't let the fleeting glimpses of brightness from around the firth deceive you.  It's going to rain haggises and claymores all week.  The smell of burning rubber... aaaahPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Can't wait then! Thanks everyone!Posted Image Everyone else from my work seems to be heading to warmer places south for half term (except one colleague who's going to brave Blackpool!). They think I'm mad heading the other way.

Inverness must be fed up of snoring English people like me arriving daily on the sleeper train from London! Got a hire car booked, so as for burning rubber...when in Rome and all that...

Look forward to it...ironically, the biggest problem weatherwise I might have is leaving on the train in London on Tuesday evening if there's lots of clearing up to do after Monday. I hear once north of the border...that sleeper train can plough it's way through anything!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Looks like a fairly dry picture with rain beginning to push into the West Highlands on Wednesday morning. Quite light winds coming from the south, mild for the time of year. Depending on the exact direction of the wind, it could be quite chilly when you step off the train as southerly winds don't really have much of an impact on Inverness. 

So I'd say about 4'C, perhaps lower or towards freezing if the wind / cloud cover is right, dry and quite bright. 

Oh and enjoy your time in the Highlands Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted

Pleasant enough day here, bright sunshine this morning has given way to partly cloudy skies. 12c. Another mild night last night with the min 9c.

Posted

Can't wait then! Thanks everyone!Posted Image Everyone else from my work seems to be heading to warmer places south for half term (except one colleague who's going to brave Blackpool!). They think I'm mad heading the other way.

Inverness must be fed up of snoring English people like me arriving daily on the sleeper train from London! Got a hire car booked, so as for burning rubber...when in Rome and all that...

Look forward to it...ironically, the biggest problem weatherwise I might have is leaving on the train in London on Tuesday evening if there's lots of clearing up to do after Monday. I hear once north of the border...that sleeper train can plough it's way through anything!

Cool... yeah & welcome; it is a good time to be out seeing the sights cos the campervans have mostly either been blown up or driven into ditches so you can get around, and if you're lucky, signs of early winter dustings...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

...haggises...

Is the plural not haggii (hagg-i)?

And I forget what you call a group of them together. I think it’s a pack rather than a flock? Herds are rare but quite a site to behold.

Anyway, starting to go into hibernation with the shorter days and lower temperatures.

Your best bet is steeper south-west facing slopes in the late afternoon sun. Open moorland is preferred too, or at least thin forest.

*Och come on, someone had to bring it up.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

Posted

Let us not forget the mountain sheep in full coat.....

post-2849-0-67799100-1382805585_thumb.jp

I see a good Shetland breeze aboot to hit doon South, although the Daily Fail would suggest the worst since '87???  (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2474792/UK-weather-Worst-storms-1987-winds-80mph-predicted.html)

It would appear storms up here don't count.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 7

Posted

Let us not forget the mountain sheep in full coat.....

Posted Image5672857630_40bc6f415c_z.jpg

I see a good Shetland breeze aboot to hit doon South, although the Daily Fail would suggest the worst since '87???  (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2474792/UK-weather-Worst-storms-1987-winds-80mph-predicted.html)

It would appear storms up here don't count.

yeah it does seem to be getting over played a bit from what I see there only looking at gusts around 70-80 that's just a breeze up here Posted Image

its like listening to the americans with hyping things up

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 2

Posted

I especially like this line from that article

Sunday Midday: Having gathered strength in the Gulf of Mexico off North America, the powerful storm lurks dangerously off Britain, circled in redis this the heed cases trying to make out its a hurricane that has crossed the atlantic because as far as I can see this was never anywhere near the gulf of mexico

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Someone in the storm thread was recommending people bleach their wheelie bins out and fill them with water...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Someone in the storm thread was recommending people bleach their wheelie bins out and fill them with water...

Posted Image !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Only the southerners could come out with such things!

Edited by Mesosphere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wtf for???????

Well if they leave some bleach in it will be useful for washing out their undies on Tuesday after the "hurricane" has gone. 

I know the storm looks like it will be pretty severe for some in the south but if it was due to cross Scotland you could be pretty sure it would hardly merit a mention in the press/TV.

• Like 4

Posted

Nice clear but breezy evening here after a crap wet and windy day.

Wheelie bin full of bleached water? Posted Image

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

It's a traditional Atlantic Beastie, that the ever so reliable GFS 18z wants to downgrade at the last second.

Model watching - still as insane as ever for a hobby.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's a traditional Atlantic Beastie, that the ever so reliable GFS 18z wants to downgrade at the last second.

Model watching - still as insane as ever for a hobby.

One bad model run and the toys are being prepared, if not already being tossed, by some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Posted Image one dodgy run and the storm thread dramatics have begun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

One dodgy run from a global models pub run. 

I am unsure how anyone would expect the GFS Pub run to find it's way home after a night on the ensembles. Let alone model accurately how this low fires through a trail blazing upper level jet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Interestingly the 'downgrade' actually upgrades the wind speed for here on Monday, although 20mph sustained winds is hardly anything to write home about, and as ever the GFS is staggering in its ability to get vital details at short range very badly wrong even when every other model goes against it - god knows we saw it a few times last year.

It could be a potentially nasty storm for the very far south, particularly given how unprepared they seem to be for adverse weather in spite of days of hype, but even without the 18Z nonsense it doesn't look like being particularly destructive for the vast majority of the landmass of the British Isles. Still, I hope those who are in the firing line are prepared for it, whether they be on the south coast of England or in Northeast France, the Benelux and the German/Danish coast. The hype may be irritating and completely ignore the reality of the numerous storms to hit Scotland which were of greater intensity than this one but it does look as though it might be quite nasty for some folk.

Anyway, here are the NAE and GFS 18Z side by side at +36, just for the hilarity of it:

NAE:

Posted Image

GFS:

Posted Image

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

The hype may be irritating and completely ignore the reality of the numerous storms to hit Scotland which were of greater intensity than this one but it does look as though it might be quite nasty for some folk.

Hmm, it IS irritating to keep hearing the media refer to it as 'the most powerful storm to hit the UK in years'.  More accurate could be to describe it as potentially the 'most disruptive' for years, seeing as southern and central England are so densely populated and there are so many commuter routes, roads and other infrastructure exposed to potential damage.I'm sure others have said the same, but the impact of weaker storms can be so much greater where they occur infrequently.  I'll never forget visiting relatives in Surrey and London in October 1987 and being stunned at the number of trees down.  I'd never seen anything like it, and to be honest I've not seen anything like it since.  Utter carnage.

• Like 5