Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

It's pretty bad but in fairness the fact that it was December 2010 and we'd had a full month of almost nonstop snowmaggedon probably took the edge off a bit. Chuck that same story into a 'near-miss' winter and you've got the tragic tale of how even Christmas failed to deliver the only gift worth having - the gift of snow.Posted Image

better stop talking about it cos it will happen to him this year and we will get the blame for jinxing him Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely morning again. Mostly sunny, +2c.

Interesting stuff, BUS and LS - I take it the sleet in that diagram refers to the North American definition (i.e. ice pellets not a rain/snow mix). I lived in Toronto for a while where freezing rain and ice pellets are pretty common during winter storms, whereas of course they are rare here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning from a dreich Skye. Temp 5.3 and soooo calm!

Posted

Lovely morning again. Mostly sunny, +2c.

Interesting stuff, BUS and LS - I take it the sleet in that diagram refers to the North American definition (i.e. ice pellets not a rain/snow mix). I lived in Toronto for a while where freezing rain and ice pellets are pretty common during winter storms, whereas of course they are rare here.

yeah I think it does refer to north America as it was an American weather thing on twitter who posted it.

Posted

Thanks BUS and LS I was needing a laugh, I actually properly lol-ed at this Posted Image

LS, you missed out a couple of important points from the story, I was running round outside in my tartan PJs with matching slippers and face mask pulled up to my forehead. And it wasn't turkey, it was a very large chicken.

That incident only stands out so much because it was Xmas Day, Ross B might remember another little incident with me and freezing rain which happened a year or two earlier. I can't remember the exact date but the end result was the west of Scotland's busiest ever day in A&E units across the region. You would think I would have learned my lesson after that first incident Posted Image

all of that is the best stuff I have heard since I joined here I was still lay in my bed lastnight trying to get to sleep having a wee chuckle about it.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm glad we could raise a laugh, I certainly wasn't laughing at the time but it's funny now. It does show that proper freezing rain isn't that uncommon in this country and it's a good way of learning about upper air. I sincerely hope when he's working as Professor of Meteorology at a top university that LS uses the anecdote about me to illustrate this lesson to some fresh faced first year students Posted Image I'll even do a re-enactment if he so wishes Posted Image

it was just picturing you stomping around the house throwing the turkey/chicken out then coming on here to vent your frustration.

i think we would all go a bit mental like that if we thought we were on a sure thing snow wise and that happened.

before coming on here and finding out about all the layers and that i always just went on if it was below 3c during the day and 0c at night then there was a chance of snow but now understand there are so many other things that go with it instead of rough temps at the surface.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Came fairly close to doing my own CMD-toorp this morning, with our hill walk basically scuppered due to low bloody cloud. Pish.  All I threw in the end was a banana skin at an optimistic robin...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Currently 7oC. Temp hasn't been this high for about 2 weeksPosted Image 

• Like 1

Posted

Currently 7oC. Temp hasn't been this high for about 2 weeksPosted Image 

welcome into the madhouse RAH.

in all seriousness its really friendly in here and i am sure u will enjoy joining in through winter and should we see some snow it will really busy up in here.

good to see some newcomers into the Scottish thread and for anyone else new who hasn't posted yet come join in the fun and even if you don't know a lot about the ins and outs of weather that doesn't matter most of us knew very little when we started out.

• Like 3

Posted

The best of it is that any TOORPing which was done during the infamous black rain of Xmas Day 2010 episode was nothing compared to the TOORPing which I did in a previous winter when there was loads of snow around but none of it falling on me. I still have the radar screenshots saved to prove it Posted Image

Posted ImageCould not make this up.JPG

The file names give it away..."Missed again" is the title of this next one:

Posted ImageMissed again.JPG

I'm such a plank Posted ImagePosted Image

(Late Dec 2009, in case anyone was wondering Posted Image )

i see that's paisley is that why u moved more east lol

Posted

welcome into the madhouse RAH.

[...]

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

See, he's not wrong...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted

really cant believe we are seeing charts like this in the models with high pressure everywhere and the PV over the Siberian side and still we cant see anything cold coming out for us.

post-18233-0-07421500-1385225563_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Dull as dishwater innit? We will just have to be patient I suppose. Sooner or later things will move.  (Hopefully BEFORE the end of February,2014!) Posted Image

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
Posted

If this was the mid-2000s or mid-90s we'd be content, expectations are too high Posted Image

i wouldn't say its expectations here more like hope the way the snow shield is around here.

seriously thinking of moving back to fife as getting really sick of the last few years having family tell me how its snowing in Dunfermline or cowdenbeath just to wind me up cos they know i like the snow so much.

• Like 1

Posted

Joe B appears pretty confident of a bad spell up and coming in the USA...A few of his tweets below:

"NFL better make plans for cold/stormy December part of schedule, perhaps unlike any we have seen"

"Guidance is still pointing to an increasing threat for  travel because of Tuesday, Wednesday storm"

"Hoist the warning flag for rough weather for US next 3-5 weeks"

"Europe sharing in the cold too, far east cold already leading to major snows ne China"

Hopefully, if it materialises, it will give our resident high a kick up the proverbial!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

I think our high is causing the weather in the states though...or at least the other way round? If that makes sense? I can't remember a high positioned like this one, that's not to say it hasn't happened simply that I can't remember it Posted Image

Edit: You'd think after all these years on here I'd know how to do larger posts instead of posting twice? Posted Image

do u mean replying to two different posts inside one?

EDIT: incase that is what your meaning and if anyone else doesn't know all u do is press quote on the first one you want to reply to then write your reply then before u click post go and find the second one you want to respond to click quote on that and it will go in the box below your first reply then reply to that then hit post and both should appear in the one post instead of having to do two different posts.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

do u mean replying to two different posts inside one?

EDIT: incase that is what your meaning and if anyone else doesn't know all u do is press quote on the first one you want to reply to then write your reply then before u click post go and find the second one you want to respond to click quote on that and it will go in the box below your first reply then reply to that then hit post and both should appear in the one post instead of having to do two different posts.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

No it's ok, just a bit tired & bored of cloudiness....  Light drizzle and 5C here, now.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

the infamous Christmas 2010 'why the swearing is not big or clever (touché netweather, touché) isn't it white' episode where Catch woke up on Christmas morn, eagerly ran down to the laptop to check the radar, saw a band moving in, saw the temperature at -4C, jumped around excitedly running in and out of the house trying to catch a better look at the lamppost for the snow only to find rain falling, at which point he ran back inside, had an extended TOORP on the thread and then threw the Christmas turkey in the bin in protest at the unfavourable 'lower uppers' (or at least that's how it happened in my head).

A legend, immortalised in prose by another legend… Brilliant. Both of you. And the tartan PJs. 

Posted

Come to kelty, we always get snow ;)

i wouldn't say its expectations here more like hope the way the snow shield is around here. seriously thinking of moving back to fife as getting really sick of the last few years having family tell me how its snowing in Dunfermline or cowdenbeath just to wind me up cos they know i like the snow so much.

• Like 1

Posted

Come to kelty, we always get snow Posted Image

ano must be good staying somewhere that's built on the side of a hill facing east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Joe B appears pretty confident of a bad spell up and coming in the USA...A few of his tweets below:

"NFL better make plans for cold/stormy December part of schedule, perhaps unlike any we have seen"

"Guidance is still pointing to an increasing threat for  travel because of Tuesday, Wednesday storm"

"Hoist the warning flag for rough weather for US next 3-5 weeks"

"Europe sharing in the cold too, far east cold already leading to major snows ne China"

Hopefully, if it materialises, it will give our resident high a kick up the proverbial!

Indeed, and with charts like this in FI then he has rocket fuel for a rampede. Stunning cold shot into the CONUS.

post-7292-0-64518200-1385241385_thumb.pn

Not jealous...much...at all....really.

I love mid latitude limpet highs.

• Like 4

Posted

Indeed, and with charts like this in FI then he has rocket fuel for a rampede. Stunning cold shot into the CONUS.

Posted Imagegensnh-0-0-276.png

Not jealous...much...at all....really.

I love mid latitude limpet highs.

that chart still has us under -10 uppers i would certainly accept that if it came off just wonder if we can manage to get anything like that soon.

• Like 1

Posted

I've seen it kicked around the forums (and discredited) that whatever the US gets storm-wise, then the UK picks it up 2-3 weeks later. Might only be true after the odd hurricane, depending on the track, in the form of stormy weather for here?

Would be great if we eventually became surrounded by very cold uppers  then you would think that something's got to give.  When was it though that Europe was under very cold uppers and suffered huge snowfalls, villages were buried, ports were closed rivers were frozen but it only clipped the south east?  Couple of years ago? I can't remember.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1