Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

glad I stopped in and did not attend the local firework display, it was delayed by nigh on an hour and with strong wind and rain, I would have been fuming to have been made to wait in that.

Posted

glad I stopped in and did not attend the local firework display, it was delayed by nigh on an hour and with strong wind and rain, I would have been fuming to have been made to wait in that.

Our local display went off OK, very good this year.

Wind started picking up as it closed and it was really whistling when we got home, I think we have another couple of hours before it hits peak speed.

Posted

sounding  pretty wild  outside  not  a  nice night  for  fireworks

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The new low coming in below this low on here, is that tomorrows?

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Looks like there could be quite a squeeze where ever that is going. Certainly is now anyway.

Click the pressure tab.

Posted

Evening all, I trust everyone is good. You timed that journey home perfectly AS, were the Severn Bridges still open at that time ?

It's been a a gusty few hours here but nothing like the winds down in South Wales thankfully. Given that winds locally are gusting 30-35mph I am suprised that firework displays are still going ahead and suspect the fireworks I've been hearing ever since it got dark this evening are probably private affairs. It strikes me as potentially dangerous to launch an explosive device into the air not having a clue where the strong winds will take it, and in a built up area too.

Anyway enough of my moaning, I actually really enjoy a good firework display so if you are going to one tonight do enjoy, and stay safe. Posted Image

Hello BB, both bridges were open but it seems the old one was closed a few hours after we had crossed.  Whenever we leave the house in Wales I get very worried that we have left something undone, unlocked, on or off (as the case may be), and essentially vulnerable to the elements.  This time we tried our hardest to fix an aged skylight and painted the front door, but I will fret about it until the next visitor (a work colleague of mine) in 2 weeks and I hear that all is, if not well, than at least 'ok'.

We had a small back garden firework display in Wales, spoke to the neighbours first given they (and we) all have dogs, and we found 20 minutes of dry weather to get it done.  The wind was quite lively though and I enjoyed adjusting the angle of the tube into which rockets are placed and then seeing what happened to them once they were launched into the gale.  I tried very hard to work out the angles, the wind speed and the gravitational pull but in the end I just pointed and hoped.  Our car was the only one onto which leftover rockets landed, so there is some poetic justice there I think, plus cast iron proof that I shouldn't try science but should stick to general wittering!

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

A friend in Kendal suffered a tornado this afternoon. Done a lot of damage too it seems. Posted Image

I'm sorry to here that, is she/he alright?

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sorry to here that, is she/he alright?

Well she is okay, and I don't know the first thing about farming but this is what she says:

Yes.. Buildings a right mess. Trees decimated. Kitchen roof top ridge smashed. Outbuildings with bits off. Cement wall in Dutch barn sucked out. Doors off and twisted. Slates off everywhere. Neighbours have farm now and they were down here and said it was just like on TV.. Eerie silence and then wham. Luckily no one hurt and well insured between us.

Turbines are fine. It has literally taken chunks out of silos, new buildings doors off stone buildings, roof off old barn, granary, sixteen roof slipped , garage wall shagged and door off, tops off about 70 % trees at nedy barn one in roof of neddy barn! midden roof lifted and twisted and sheets up field! boards off scaffolding at needy barn, wall out of Dutch barn.. Need I go on...

Luckily she was in town when it happened so wasn't in the middle of it.

Posted

surrey   the way its blowing here at the moment could be  a more  things blow over  to-night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

heres an early ramp

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Nice, I think from tomorrow I will start doing a CFS forecast for Christmas, Gavin P is doing one so I might do one on this thread Posted Image

Rules are simple, no cherry picking, it will always be the 12z output.

I will give a rating between -3 and +3 for temperature and precipitation and give an overview of the weather pattern, as well as some charts.

Precipitation - (-3 = well below average or bone dry, 0 = average, +3 = well above average)

Temperature - (-3 = well below average, 0 = average, +3 = Well above average) 

Every Sunday morning I will give an overview of the weeks output, giving a mean score and list the overall pattern for each day to see if one outcome is being repeated

All a bit of fun but lets see if there is a trend developing for Christmas Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted

Well she is okay, and I don't know the first thing about farming but this is what she says:

Yes.. Buildings a right mess. Trees decimated. Kitchen roof top ridge smashed. Outbuildings with bits off. Cement wall in Dutch barn sucked out. Doors off and twisted. Slates off everywhere. Neighbours have farm now and they were down here and said it was just like on TV.. Eerie silence and then wham. Luckily no one hurt and well insured between us.

Turbines are fine. It has literally taken chunks out of silos, new buildings doors off stone buildings, roof off old barn, granary, sixteen roof slipped , garage wall shagged and door off, tops off about 70 % trees at nedy barn one in roof of neddy barn! midden roof lifted and twisted and sheets up field! boards off scaffolding at needy barn, wall out of Dutch barn.. Need I go on...

Wow that's grim to hear, Chilly.  I'm sure all on our thread will want to send their sympathies/support to your friend.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Very gusty outside now. I can see fireworks being blown all over the place. Glad our fireworks are not tonight. I would of felt very uncomfortable setting them off near my children.

Have a safe rest of a firework night guys.....

Posted

Two eyes but I doubt this will come about, plus it looks like it wants to merge the 2.. Very complex situation me thinks tomorrow evening could go 2 ways.. But one thing for sure, the heavens are going to open

Yea have just looked at accumulated precipitation on NAE and you can see why met have put yellow warning out but shhh don't tell our northern cousins they'll only start moaning about southern bias again!

Posted
Posted · Hidden by abruzzi spur, November 2, 2013 - probably does the opposite of what I was hoping, sorry mods!
Hidden by abruzzi spur, November 2, 2013 - probably does the opposite of what I was hoping, sorry mods!

Hello all, properly installed back home after our week away in North Pembrokeshire. Thankfully not on our regional thread, but there does seem to have been a bit of north vs south stuff developing on other threads (storm related it seems). For me it just really detracts from the joy of NW. My understanding of this regional thread is that there are people from all over the UK (and beyond) who post here because they now live in the region, not because they are born, bred and wedded to it. That's certainly true of me and I can immediately think of several others who fall into that category. Hence I don't think any of us should jump on what we see as 'northern' complaints about 'southern' bias, nor vice versa, as it just takes threads off in a direction that we might not want or enjoy.

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

crikey!

we were happy the stables survived here.

• Like 1

Posted

Wow that's grim to hear, Chilly.  I'm sure all on our thread will want to send their sympathies/support to your friend.

Indeed I share that sentiment AS.

Winds slowly picking up here in the last hour or so with gusts of 35-40mph locally and still the fireworks go on. Practically non-stop since 5pm which is madness in these conditions and in a built up area. Some people really don't have a clue do they ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Windy here this evening, and haven't heard a single firework!

Posted

Still very gusty here, but doesn't seem as strong as an hour or so ago. Still seeing a few flashes, and hearing the odd bang.

I have a new worry now... I've just been greeted with a nest of false widows in our porch. I've cleared out what I can, but I still feel ichy and uncomfortable. I'm not looking forward to going to bed now.....looks like a full search of all the beds now😞

• Like 1

Posted

Windy here this evening, and haven't heard a single firework!

Lucky you. Since it got dark around 5 here, it hasn't stopped. I can still hear them going off now. Might have to have a night cap to help me get to sleep 😉